Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through almost all the threads on here regarding the bronson sizing and spent hours researching. I have an opportunity to snag a brand new 2014 al size large for a smoking deal and not sure if it will fit, although santa cruz says it will (not always accurate). I feel like I'm in-between the large and XL. The bike is about 2 hours away from me so I don't want to make the drive if it won't fit and there are no dealers around my area.

I'm just slightly over 6' tall and my cycling inseam is 34.75". My question is will this fit? I've read on here that some members slightly taller were running the large but with a larger stem. I'd just hate to buy it and not fit or feel cramped on it!

My current bike is a hard tail XC 29er in a 20" frame that I feel is slightly on the larger side. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sounds like a good fit. Comes with a super short stem that you can go longer with if needed. At slightly over 6 I think you are in the sweet spot for a large.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply! I felt that it would be a good fit, but just wanted a little reassurance before making the commitment! Planning on getting some wider bars with a longer stem as well as a dropper post.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm 5'11 and just bought a L, it fits perfect. I tried both a medium and XL and there was no question for me that the L was by far the best fit. Go get it!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm 6 even, have a 70mm stem on a large. Did my first ride the other night, it felt great. I wasnt too upright, or too stretched out. For me, I liked the position. Sizing is always very particular, so be careful with your purchase. Be sure to ride the bike for a bit. Maybe call the shop if you do go out there and see if they have different stem lengths you could try before purchase.

Also, be true to how you want to ride. If your focus will be enjoying the dh, then maybe a large with an 90mm stem isn't the right call (go xl with shorter). If you just want to have a ride better on the down than an xc hardtail, but you maybe want more efficiency going up then a longer stem might not be a deal breaker.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm 6 even, have a 70mm stem on a large. Did my first ride the other night, it felt great. I wasnt too upright, or too stretched out. For me, I liked the position. Sizing is always very particular, so be careful with your purchase. Be sure to ride the bike for a bit. Maybe call the shop if you do go out there and see if they have different stem lengths you could try before purchase.

Also, be true to how you want to ride. If your focus will be enjoying the dh, then maybe a large with an 90mm stem isn't the right call (go xl with shorter). If you just want to have a ride better on the down than an xc hardtail, but you maybe want more efficiency going up then a longer stem might not be a deal breaker.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the input! I'm not planning on flying off rock ledges. The bolded part is exactly what my intentions are with the bike and maybe a couple jumps here and there. I come from a motocross background and feel I'm pushing my hard tail to the limits, granted its not made for what I'm doing currently.

By chance does anyone know what the bronson Large comes spec'd with as far as stem length?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was in the same boat for several months, debating between large and XL. I'm 6'1 with a 34" inseam. Demo'd both sizes and felt comfortable on both, but ultimately went with the XL and couldn't be happier. I'm coming off a Large nomad that always felt a little cramped for me-- had to have the seat fully extended and as far back as it could go on the rails to to get a decent pedaling position. Started hurting my knees too. The XL is a great fit with wide bars and a 50mm stem-- much more comfortable and I don't feel I've sacrificed anything on the downhill.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and I'm on a Large; if I was taller I'd be on an XL. I fit well on the Large but the top tube runs a little short on the Bronson IMO. If you can, I'd highly recommend that you go sit or demo one before you buy one to nail down the size.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have same inseam and height as you OP, and was on a large with 50mm stem. Could have gone XL but yes a large will fit you for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies! Just made the trip to ride and check it out! Felt right at home on it and for the price I couldn't be more thrilled. This is the best bike I've ridden (haven't ridden many or very experienced) just feels like I'm riding on a cloud compared to my hard tail which I felt was slightly on the larger side and stretched out. I definitely need to get the fork and shock dialed in for my weight as I'm almost bottoming it out just doing manuals around the block. Going to get some wider bars, shock pump and pedals tonight and eventually a dropper post for it. I feel like I could go shorter on the stem (has a 70mm on it stock) but I'll play around with that after I get a chance to take it in the dirt! I don't think I'll be able to wipe the smile off my face when I get a chance to take it to the hills.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! Just made the trip to ride and check it out! Felt right at home on it and for the price I couldn't be more thrilled. This is the best bike I've ridden (haven't ridden many or very experienced) just feels like I'm riding on a cloud compared to my hard tail which I felt was slightly on the larger side and stretched out. I definitely need to get the fork and shock dialed in for my weight as I'm almost bottoming it out just doing manuals around the block. Going to get some wider bars, shock pump and pedals tonight and eventually a dropper post for it. I feel like I could go shorter on the stem (has a 70mm on it stock) but I'll play around with that after I get a chance to take it in the dirt! I don't think I'll be able to wipe the smile off my face when I get a chance to take it to the hills.
Right on!! Money well spent.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts