Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently running a fox kashima CTD shock and because its covered over 600 miles already its due a service, isnt riding particularly well atm, really poor small bump compliance with a notch at the top end of its stroke and doesnt seem to be using its travel all that well. So Im wondering what other options people are running and what is the bees knees for rear shocks on a bronson?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was right there with you and decided on the Double Barrel Air with CS. I used a Monarch+ on my Tallboy LT and liked it a lot, but thought it'd be fun to play with the turning of the CC. It's really good. It doesn't have the poppy, super lively feel of some other shocks, but the second things get rough and chunky, the tracking is amazing. Small bump, mid-stroke, square edges are all much better. For the best performance, CC. The float X or monarch+ are both much better than the stock CTD and a bit lighter.

Getting away from the stock shock will be a big improvement no matter how you do it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've looked at the CC DB CS and they seem to get bees knees reviews but the thing putting me off, as well as the weight increase, is just how tuneable it is! I'm really not one for faffing with bits on the bike, I like to get them setup and just ride it, if its something Id endlessly have to faff with to get spot on performance wise Im really not keen. I guess once you've got the base tune and think thats okay then thats all very well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've looked at the CC DB CS and they seem to get bees knees reviews but the thing putting me off, as well as the weight increase, is just how tuneable it is! I'm really not one for faffing with bits on the bike, I like to get them setup and just ride it, if its something Id endlessly have to faff with to get spot on performance wise Im really not keen. I guess once you've got the base tune and think thats okay then thats all very well.
Easy to set up and leave alone. It transformed my genius.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Exactly. The CCDBa is nice but heavy and you always hear every owner saying "still getting her dialed, not quite there yet?!"
FWIW I went with a custom tuned Vector Air DH from X-Fusion. They own Bronsons and have tons of time testing them to get the best possible shock performance so their custom tunes are dialed with ZERO fiddling around. In fact I didn't even bother to get the more adjustable HLR and just went with the RC as all you'll need is adjustable low speed compression and rebound anyway after they tune the high speed circuit (and bonus is they charge the resy with Nitrogen then instead of air). I'm certain it's the best shock option for the money but to each their own.

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - They also have a custom tune for their O2 which has a lot better performance than the CTD if you don't need a resy shock.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Exactly. The CCDBa is nice but heavy and you always see every owner "still getting her dialed, not quite there yet?!"
FWIW I went with a custom tuned Vector Air DH from X-Fusion. They own Bronsons and have tons of time testing them to get the best possible shock performance so their custom tunes are dialed with ZERO fiddling around. In fact I didn't even bother to get the more adjustable HLR and just went with the RC as all you'll need is adjustable low speed compression and rebound anyway after they tune the high speed circuit (and bonus is they charge the resy with Nitrogen then instead of air). I'm certain it's the best shock option for the money but to each their own.

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - They also have a custom tune for their O2 which has a lot better performance than the CTD if you don't need a resy shock.
ccdba cs feels like doo-doo at low speed(on a bronson) and alot heavier than most other rear shocks. i'll check out x-fusion shock website.

·
Registered
417 Posts
This thread is interesting.

I'm considering upgrading from my 650b heckler to the bronson to go lighter, and better performance under braking, but am concerned about the idea that it firms up under hard pedaling. Do any of these non stock options keep the small bump compliance under pedaling?

Thx!
Holiday

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to give a quick review and another option. Have had my bronson for a year now with stock float CTD. Loved the bike, but always had problems with small bump absorption and not enough ramp up toward the end with larger jumps. I am 175 without gear and ride fairly aggressively but don't downhill or race with the bike. I sent it in to PUSH and have had enough time on it now to fully comment. Pedaling efficiency is virtually unchanged which was a huge fear of mine. Small bump sensitivity is improved majorly. No harshness whatsoever as was used to before. Shock still feels super plush as before but now ramps up nicely and is very hard to bottom out even with larger jumps. Much more controlled landings off jumps as the shock isn't spiking nearly so bad. Basically the bronson feels way way better and I'm totally satisfied with the tune and bike now. Would recommend this as another much cheaper option...

·
Registered
851 Posts
I had a Double Barrel Air on my Nomad c that I really wasn't impressed with (love the db coil on my DH bikes for the past 4 years or so). I got a x fusion vector air on my Bronson c which I'm really happy with. So I'd suggest taking a look at one of those.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Question: Why does small bump absorption matter? I am not trying to be a smart a$$ but just wondering. I live in AZ and it isn't smooth. I bought the Bronson for smoothing out the rough downhills and killing the drops. I was surprised but it can even climb well. I like the way it plants itself on climbs. Thanks for explaining the small bump item because if I can make this bike even better I am all for it

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
When I had my Bronson, I ran a stock CTD, a CCDB-A and an Avy-tuned CTD Kashima.

For me, the Avy-tuned shock was the best thing I ran on that bike.
Firm or plush tune on the Avy? The Avy tune sound like the best way to go for upgrade with stock CTD. I have had friends that have had nothing but trouble with their CCDBA (warranty issues) that they finally totally gave up on them and refuse to ever run them again when ran in Knolly Chilcotins and Endorphins. When my stock CTD goes bugger on Bronson (they all do eventually), Avy tune is my choice.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.