Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to get frame only and scour the Internet for "deals" would it be a lot cheaper than buying a prebuilt one? One caveat is I can't wrench. Some of the work would need to be done by my lbs. actually most lol.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
In general it is hard to build a bike for cheaper than buying the whole bike, unless you have a lot of used parts laying around. The main reason to build your own bike is so you can spec it the way you want.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yup, if you're trying to stick to a budget then buying a kit is probably your best bet. By the time you find every part at a killer bargain, get it shipped to you and installed, and then pay to have somebody put it all together, you're looking at a lot of time and effort for not a whole lot of savings.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Depends a lot if a shop is involved. If you are a home mechanic and shop for online deals, its easy to calculate. Just look for the components you want and sum it up. From my experience you can beat retail cost of a bike and get a nicer build, but you can't beat an end of year sale price.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
If I were to get frame only and scour the Internet for "deals" would it be a lot cheaper than buying a prebuilt one? One caveat is I can't wrench. Some of the work would need to be done by my lbs. actually most lol.
Lots of LBS's are having deals on Bronson pre-built bikes right now, at least my SC shop is for about $1100 off XO1 Bronsons. ($5600 instead of $6700). I chose to go frame only and build from there since I have extra parts lying around, friend is helping me with build and wanted specific parts that weren't offered with various pre-built kits.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The Bronson is a different case because the frames aren't that cheap (yet) and they're super rare to find used... you'll be lucky to find a medium or large alloy frame under $1500. That puts the cost of a decent build (XT-level, Fox 34 front fork, good wheels, good brakes) at around $2700-2800, if not a little more. If the Bronson was a few years old, then you could probably find more used frames and it would make it totally doable (like with a Tallboy or Blur), but that's not the case yet. I'd stick with a new build from a shop or online, or find a used bike if you can.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lots of LBS's are having deals on Bronson pre-built bikes right now, at least my SC shop is for about $1100 off XO1 Bronsons. ($5600 instead of $6700). I chose to go frame only and build from there since I have extra parts lying around, friend is helping me with build and wanted specific parts that weren't offered with various pre-built kits.
a lbs is offering me 23% off prebuilt if i pay cash or 20% with cc

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hehe I know! But he got it last year in May with a 2013 fox and I wanted to stay away from the 2013 problem fox. Plus since I can't really wrench it would be nice to have a warranty that I can just take it in. Tough call!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Hehe I know! But he got it last year in May with a 2013 fox and I wanted to stay away from the 2013 problem fox. Plus since I can't really wrench it would be nice to have a warranty that I can just take it in. Tough call!
I have a 2013 Fox 34 150mm and either I'm lucky enough to have a good one, or I'm not good enough to know the difference... But my fork works just fine. Don't believe everything you read on here, to most people it doesn't make an ounce of difference.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
If you wrench on your car, building and assembling a bike from the frame up isn't too hard these days. My first true "custom" bike from the frame up was a Transition TransAM 3 years and the LBS charged me around $300 for the build of it. And it still wasn't set up to my liking. Never again.

My last three bikes were assembled by me with a LBS (different one from the Transition build) run here and there to press in headset cups or fiddle with derailleur setup (the only thing that eludes me and really keeps a relationship with my LBS open lol). Lots of helpful stuff on here if you get stuck, Park Tools DIY repair section is great too. And always helps to have the proper tool for the job, although my bike specific tool box really isn't that big anyway.

If you have the time, building from the frame up is always fun. Component price hunting is part of the chase. I wouldn't see myself ever buying a complete as you're always bound to change and upgrade something, so might as well get it right from the get-go. And if you do wish to change frames in the future, you're that much ahead as you're only buying a new frame and swapping everything over. ;)

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Buy prebuilt at that nice discount first.
Then, as you find deals on blingy bits, upgrade bit by bit. It won't save you money in totality, but it won't sting as much as going full bling on initial outlay. And, you can recover a bit of the upgrade by selling your old, if it isn't beat to **** :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think it all depends on what kind of a build you are wanting. If you are wanting the Aluminum bronson 3300$ build I think it would be hard to build a bike with NEW parts for what that build offers. Your big hitters are the frame and a fork. Might can find a fox fork off here that someone is selling when they switched to a Pike.

That being said, if you spend a little more money and are wanting a more expensive build, like a XO1 / XX1 build, I think you can save money buy building it yourself. You will come out with a better build bike because it will be cheaper to build leaving you more more money for say wheels and drivetrain etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts