Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blue Infrastructure Bicycle accessory Bicycle part White
Soares just found this guy to weld my Lynskey Ti frame. He does them all the time and will knock it out same day for me. 20/40 will be taken care of by April after all! :yesnod: Address: Suite D, 2520 Wyandotte Street, Mountain View, CA 94043
Phone:(650) 969-2460 Thanks Joeseppi ! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,816 Posts
Bill Holland welds them down here in San Diego. My friend is having his Serotta fixed. It broke around the BB/chainstay yoke.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill Holland welds them down here in San Diego. My friend is having his Serotta fixed. It broke around the BB/chainstay yoke.
Cool ! It may sound crazy but ...That 26er SS Lynskey is near and dear to me and it broke my heart when it cracked! :cryin:

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
Nice to know. Last month, I gave away to a metal recycler my comped 1994 Clark Kent F 12 because of a twice fixed (by Clark Kent) crack in the seat tube/top tube joint.
Broke my heart, but it was more to fix than the frame was worth. Because the crack was at the joint and spread to the top tube, it would have been a seat tube, top tube replacement, plus all the welds for the existing head/down tubes.
Clark Kent made a lot of their frames with straight gauge tubing in the seat tube and didn't add internal collars in the seat/top tube joints. Us taller guys (6'1'') had to run the seat post fairly high in those days putting a lot of stress on the joints.
I put on my straight face and handed it over to a local guy who recycles metal.
so sad..

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You did the right thing!

Nice to know. Last month, I gave away to a metal recycler my comped 1994 Clark Kent F 12 because of a twice fixed (by Clark Kent) crack in the seat tube/top tube joint.
Broke my heart, but it was more to fix than the frame was worth. Because the crack was at the joint and spread to the top tube, it would have been a seat tube, top tube replacement, plus all the welds for the existing head/down tubes.
Clark Kent made a lot of their frames with straight gauge tubing in the seat tube and didn't add internal collars in the seat/top tube joints. Us taller guys (6'1'') had to run the seat post fairly high in those days putting a lot of stress on the joints.
I put on my straight face and handed it over to a local guy who recycles metal.
so sad..
Some guys just hang the broken frames up in the garage and look at them from time to time and reminisce. That breaking at the seat post deal was the fate of many Klein Rascals. My 1993 has escaped that one for now and will be going back into hibercyclenation in the storage shed to fly again at a later date now that the Lynskey is back in business! Mode of transport Blue Transport Bicycle accessory Bicycle part
No second chances for aluminum!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
As one who rides a titanium 3.25 bike just about every day since 1996, a hard tail, a cross bike commuter, and a single speed, in the Bay Area, this story is interesting.

Sadly a month ago, my wife had a titanium cross bike commuter stolen while shopping. It was locked. She bought that bike from Voodoo when they were in Sunnyvale on Kifer Rd, back in the day.

Well despite their flexibility in the wrong places sometimes, I have come to deeply appreciate the ride of titanium, and the simplistic beauty of the material. A titanium bike can be for life.

Carbon and aluminum lack that cachet IMHO.

Bravo on that repair! May it last forever.

Now, I am still interested in getting a disc brake tab welded onto my old frames! I know it I possible. Anyone have any Bay Area leads on that?

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, BTW AR, how/when did you discover the crack?
Well first let me say that I feel the same way you do about the Ti frames. My Lynskey was making noise on the climb up Kennedy and I sort of knew it was broken as it was a loud creaking. Probably cracked on the way down the ride before I'm guessing. The welder said it was welded with too thin of a bead so it cracked in the weld. There is some good flex in the Lynskey. My old aluminum Klein Rascal is twice as stiff.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,818 Posts
Usually you grind out the old weld first. Looks like your "lease" is more like month to month!
That maybe a daily rental type of weld. I hate to be critical but that weld doesn't look like it will last out the first ride. I bet if you sent it back to the manufacturer they would have done it right. I had a Merlin XLM that cracked in the same spot......Merlin aka Litespeed replaced the head tube. It was just like day one of it's life......mind you it cost $400 but well worth it.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its funny when people base the strength of a weld on the look of a weld....

If it does fail again a saddle may be the ticket.....

View attachment 954327
Dang, that saddle weld looks strong indeed. Eddie said the original weld was too thin of a bead and it did break right through the middle of the original weld. I will bet the next break should one happen will be somewhere other than the repair weld.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,818 Posts
Its funny when people base the strength of a weld on the look of a weld....

If it does fail again a saddle may be the ticket.....

View attachment 954327
I'm lead manufacturing engineer for a group of weld engineers...........I can tell you the first weld inspection method is visual. And that weld doesn't pass.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
3,033 Posts
I'm lead manufacturing engineer for a group of weld engineers...........I can tell you the first weld inspection method is visual. And that weld doesn't pass.
Well, I don't think he is going to xray it or bust out the ultrasonic gear, or cut it in half....Time will tell.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.