Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Trek Fuel 80 with a broken swingarm. The swingarm broke on the chain side, right beside the pivot point. Since I am not the original owner, Trek tells me the new swingarm will cost $310. The way I see it, I have several options if I want to keep the bike:

1. Buy a new swingarm and replace the old one. $310 plus my labor

2. Buy another entirely new frame, such as the Jamis Parker 1.0, and use my components on the new frame. $265 plus my labor and any new parts that may be required to fit new frame (??)
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e+2008+Oe.aspx

3. Have a professional welder repair the old swingarm frame. $50 - $65

As for option 1, I am thinking that $310 is a bit over-the-top for a new swingarm. Plus, what guarantee would I have that the same break might not occur again? The bike was not being stressed out when the break occurred in the first place.
As for option number 2, I am not sure what component parts will and will not fit onto the new frame, so cost to complete is unknown at this point.
Option 3 is a complete unknown for me. I have heard that a new weld can actually weaken the frame.

What are your opinions and hopefully, first hand knowledge on dealing with a problem like this?

Regards
Daddyrabbit56

·
Registered
859 Posts
You're not going to be happy with welding it. The swingarm is aluminum, and you won't get a strong weld on it, even with preheating and professional TIG welding. You'll just create a weak spot next to the weld. I'd take option #3 out of the running...(and I have a lot of welding background, including TIGing aluminum.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welding

It can be fixed by welding.
If it's 6061 or other 6000 Series Aluminum, it has to be heat treated after welding.
There are some frame builders and frame repair shops that can heat treat.
This has been discussed a bunch on Framebuilders Forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Concider yourself lucky that you can buy the part. I broke the chainstay on my ex 7 and trek does not have the part or make it. My only options are weld or buy new frame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel like one lucky daddyrabbit today, as I just scored a brand-new Rocky Mountain Elements full suspension frame for $255. Instead of going through the hassle of acquiring a swingarm from Trek, I am going to build up the Rocky Mountain Element frame using the parts from my Trek that I want to keep and upgrade the ones I don't want to keep.

Ya-hoo! (I hope)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just paid $325 for new swing arm for my Trek Remedy 9. It should be here tomorrow. It wouldnt be so bad to pay that much if it were for the whole rear end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where did your swingarm break? Mine broke on the chain stay, right next to the weld for the support that goes across from one side of the swingarm to the other side. Seems to me, that area is an extreme weak spot for the swingarm and a poor design. My "remedy" was to buy a completely new frame. This time around, I bought a new Rocky Mountain Element off an Ebay Cycle Shop in Co. for $255. Felt I really got a good deal on that, at least I hope....better wait until I see it. They had another frame just like it advertised at a buy-it-now price of $850+. I was lucky there were not many bidders this weekend being the holiday and all.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Benjie1966 said:
I just paid $325 for new swing arm for my Trek Remedy 9. It should be here tomorrow. It wouldnt be so bad to pay that much if it were for the whole rear end.
I'm guessing you're not the original owner so it wasn't covered under warranty?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts