Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many people have broken their superflys and if gf honered the warranty.

2 girls I ride with have broken theirs and gf dosen't seem to want to honer the warranty, they want them to pay $600 and change for a new frame that will probably break again in another 4 months and not be waranteed.

One broke on the seat stay just above the cable stop for the rear derailleur, right above the butt in the tube and the other broke on the chain stay

Dosen't seem fair.

Are these 2 isolated cases?

·
Registered
580 Posts
For what it's worth, these two Superfly failures are the first that I've come across. That doesn't mean that others haven't happened. Try searching the forum.

And...I beleive GF's warranty to be top notch. I'm surprised that they are asking for cash for the replacements. Were the breakages the result of crashes? This scenarion sounds like a crash replacement offering. Hmmm. Can the LBS help out?

Bummer any way you look at it. Hope it all works out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The group I ride with has 6 guys on Superflys, and we haven't seen any frame failures yet. Pretty impressive rigs for sandy conditions. They've been pounding them. Only mechanical was a broke seat post due to running it over the minimum insertion height.

Hope your LBS can work things out, otherwise I'd search for another GF dealer that can offer you help.

Pictures of the damage would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neither were a result of crashing, although thats what gf is trying to claim, they said "the clear coat was damaged and thats why it broke"

when in reality the clear coat is damaged because is broke.

It seems that if these are the only two failures they are probably defective frames which is all the more reason gf should honor the warranty.

Sorry, no pics because the frames were sent back to gf.

·
Tree Crasher
452 Posts
TortugaTonta said:
2 girls I ride with have broken theirs and gf dosen't seem to want to honer the warranty, they want them to pay $600 and change for a new frame that will probably break again in another 4 months and not be waranteed.
Did they contact GF directly or is this via their LBS? I'm not implying this shop is trying to squeeze $600 out of your friends, just that the cynic in me says email Fisher directly if it hasn't been done:skep: . They've always responded to my questions promptly and courteously.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My girlfriend actually used to work at the shop full time and still works there ocasionally, so I really don't think they are trying to rip her off.

Apparently there is a new person in charge of the warranty dept. at Trek and they are denying a lot of claims, I'm sure they lost a lot of money with the 100% failure rate of frames from 2 seasons ago so maybe they are trying to make up the difference by not warantying any more frames, I don't know, just a guess. I know my gf isn't selling anymore fishers at the shop.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I'm sorry but it sounds like some idiot is using the 'structural paint' argument and that's totally bogus.

I've scratched my bike in the course of normal riding.
Gravel get thrown up by the wheels for one thing.
Getting stuck in clipless pedals while learning how to uncleat happens to quite a few people.
Leaning the bike up against a tree and having a tree rat knock it over for a third.
None of those should affect the warranty in any way and if it does I'm going to be one mad hornet.

Trek will loose more money on future sales that they ever would by honoring the warranty on broken bikes. I think you are stretching with 100% failure rate comments however, especially when other people in this thread haven't had a problem.

I think the LBS needs to get off their ass and pursue the claim with Trek.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Report Your Superfly Breaks And Outcomes !!!

I've been hearing alot about broken SuperFly frames and poor outcomes with warrenty issues from Gary Fisher. I found a crack in my downtube. A 1" ragged crack in the upper surface of the downtube near where the joint where it meets the headtube joint. Looks like a void that popped. No crash here! 3 weeks old. 200 miles. Never raced. I think everyone with broken SuperFlys should post where their cracks/breaks occurred and how Gary Fisher handled their warrenty claim. I'll let you know how mine worksout. If Gary Fisher isn't standing behind their bikes and replacing defective frames, we should let potential SuperFly buyers know that, before they buy one. I have have a feeling that if Gary Fisher is going to try to charge me $600 to replace my defective frame because they say I crashed it...I'm going to buy a NINER A.I.R. 9 and frame and tell the GF/TREK corp to shove my defective frame. - Bob

·
Registered
133 Posts
1500 miles no problems

1500 miles on my superfly since march or april at least 900 singletrack/rough double no problems with the frame. Relubed the headset twice, new tires, new grips, new seat, and new brakepads. Bike rocks. Reccomend it highly. In the past had only good experience with a warranty from GF on an x cal.

·
Registered
314 Posts
UPDATE: They will replace my frame

Got a call yesterday from the bike shop manager, Gary Fisher/Trek Corp will be replacing my SuperFly frame under warranty. All is right with the world! For now. New frame won't be in till next week. -Bob

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mine still good

I bought an XL late March of this year. I ride it alot. No frame isues that are out of the ordinary.

I had the popping of the headset, rebuilt and it's fine. Seat post pops if stressed hard, but my other bikes do that too, it's just more noticeable because of the carbon echo chamber.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I know of two people that had their Fisher frames replaced under warranty. One had a SuperFly the other on of these fancy carbon HiFis. It took them a couple of weeks to get the replacement, but they certainly did not pay anything.
For what it's worth, both frames cracked at the seat tube.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
archer said:
I' I think you are stretching with 100% failure rate comments however, especially when other people in this thread haven't had a problem.

I was refering to the aluminum 29er from I think 2 seasons ago and the shop she worked at had every one come back broken at one point or another, so yes that would be 100% failure rate.

I don't think there is a single purple one left and quite a few of the red ones broke too.

anyway, she had a friend pull some strings with someone inside trek and got a replacement for 400 and change, she is picking up the frame today and plans on selling it and buying a Niner air 9

·
Registered
635 Posts
Pics?

Got any pics? Mine has been good, but it's nice to see where others are breaking to keep an eye on it...

·
Dutchman
66 Posts
Boy, I was about to have a heart attack. I just placed an order for a Superfly 100 with all xo components and at $6300.00 they better cover any issues under warranty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.