Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post, and thread. I went trail riding for the first time this morning in prospect park, Brooklyn NY.

I have jumped bikes off of curbs and the such many times before, but never on dirt. Today was my first time, and I am in love! However, after about 6 miles of riding and a few hours, I headed home because it started snowing, (28 Fahrenheit). Once back home, I took my bike back upstairs, wiped it down, and started to boil some tea. After about 10 minutes of being back inside the house, I started to warm up, and I realized that my mid chest was killing me. The pain would peak at about the midpoint of a deep breath. I tried to shake it off, since the pain was not sharp, more of a rolling pain, like a heavy rock. I went out, (back into the cold) and found that laughing hurt. So did swallowing, and lifting heavy weight (25 lbs >) with my arms. My friend suggested a broken sternum when i described my symptoms. Says he fractured his doing dips. But I am hoping it is simply that maybe my lungs are feeling odd. About 3 hours ago (6 hours since i stopped riding) realized that everything i heard seemed "muffled" and as far as I could tell, everything that I said, I heard almost as if it was lagging. As in my mouth would move to say it, but I would hear myself later than what seemed normal. With that in mind, I got the idea that possibly the hot and cold air going through my lungs heavily when I was climbing might cause my current discomfort. Obviously I am back in the house, with a heat pad on my back ( I don’t know if this is helping) and I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Or if this could have been caused by improper bike fit.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would, but the pain is not so bad that I am sure its broken, infact, if I dont inhale deeply or move to much it doesnt hurt anything past the feeling you get after you swim for a long time.

I am wondering if this chest pain can be caused by cold weather biking, improper bike fit + jumping, or first time mountain biking in general. I had never "biked up a hill" untill today.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Those symptoms with just breathing normally is enough to warrant a visit to the doc. Don't try to be a man about it, go check it out. It is probably nothing but trust me, your going to hate yourself in it persists for over two weeks and you do untold damages.
Bike fit might be a small cause and the cold should only give you a tightness in your chest for a little while until you have warmed up.

Go see someone about it instead of asking the intradocs.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,241 Posts
You could go buy and watch all the seasons of House.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Broken sternum, ribs? What? Exertional asthma? Some pneumonia? A nasty chest cold? Pulled intercostal muscles? You didn't mention if you actually wrecked/hit your ribs/chest on anything or not. Without more information, it's kinda' hard to give you more than this. . .
Breathing in cold air with a bunch of exertion, especially if not used to doing so can be painful.

For you though, if:

1. It's not normal.

2. You've not had this before.

Asking strangers on the intarwebs to diagnose a medical problem is kinda, well, not smart. Especially if you don't give much information. If this truly is something new for you, you might want to truck yourself down to your freindly neighborhood E.R.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,241 Posts
lidarman said:
LOL

And have MTBR on the computer along side to read all our great medical advice.

yakmastermax, when I shredded my kidney on a crash,I didn't think I needed to see a doctor either.
I'm thinking a lung biopsy, and cat-scan. It's way too early to rule out cancer, but it could be an infection, so starting broad-spectrum antibiotics is probably a good call.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
+1 for scrubby's advice.
There are a few buzz words in your post that are concerning especially the "heavy rock" in your chest. You could be having a heart attack. You could be having a stroke. You could be having a pulmonary embolism. Maybe your blood is congealing and you're having all three.
In any case we're all a bunch of anonymous hacks and smartasses.
Your symptoms are not "normal" for post ride. Get checked out if you are at all legitimately concerned. Denial is a killer.

·
*Contents Under Pressure
352 Posts
the fact that it was bothering you enough to post it on mtbr is enough to warrant at least a phone call to an actual doctor. you should get it checked out. are you overweight? how old? family history of heart/lung conditions? pain when breathing 6 hrs after a 5 mile ride would be setting off alarms in my head. i would talk to a doctor.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Most likely you have inflammation in the cartilage in your chest. Usually in the areas where the ribs connect to the sternum. Cause is most likely over exertion or doing something new like mountain biking. Can be a nagging pain, but with Ibuprofen or another anti-inflammatory it should get better.

As for blood clots causing a Pulmonary Embolism...probably unlikely as did not have sudden onset and unless you have risk factors such as family history, take birth control pills, are very sedentary you did not have one.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
House starts every treatment with steroids, if that doesn't work, he actually does some thinking, and pill-popping.

Amazing how when people have problems, they post on the internet.

lidarman said:
yakmastermax, when I shredded my kidney on a crash,I didn't think I needed to see a doctor either.
Bake it into a pie and you have an authentic British delicacy. MMMMMmmmmmmm.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
Okie Dokie said:
As for blood clots causing a Pulmonary Embolism...probably unlikely as did not have sudden onset and unless you have risk factors such as family history, take birth control pills, are very sedentary you did not have one.
Um... I see that my sarcasm can sometimes go less-than-noticed. AMI or ACS or heart attack (select flavor of the week terminology) and PE and CVA are good doom and gloom worst case scenarios for illustrating the seriousness of certain undiagnosed issues. Followed by my personal favorites seizure coma and death.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Okie Dokie said:
Most likely you have inflammation in the cartilage in your chest. Usually in the areas where the ribs connect to the sternum. Cause is most likely over exertion or doing something new like mountain biking. Can be a nagging pain, but with Ibuprofen or another anti-inflammatory it should get better.

Sarcasm is teh new black.

I wasn't even going to go there in regards to the OP. (talking of further worse scenarios) If the dude is worried enough to post here, he needs to get it checked out with his practitioners, not us.

AMI? PE? Valve issues? Broken/torn/cracked ribs/intercostals/connective tissue? IMO, any of us who would "diagnose" the OP with anything based on his vague description posted on an internet forum are being stupid. Something that could be a potentially lawsuit bringing and career ending move if you were to tell someone the wrong info.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
scrublover said:
Sarcasm is teh new black.

I wasn't even going to go there in regards to the OP. (talking of further worse scenarios) If the dude is worried enough to post here, he needs to get it checked out with his practitioners, not us.

AMI? PE? Valve issues? Broken/torn/cracked ribs/intercostals/connective tissue? IMO, any of us who would "diagnose" the OP with anything based on his vague description posted on an internet forum are being stupid. Something that could be a potentially lawsuit bringing and career ending move if you were to tell someone the wrong info.
I'm a little skeptical a lawsuit would stick but I urge the OP to not listen to any medical diagnoses you get here!!!

Seriously, scrublover is right. Go see a Doc, get it checked. If you think it feels weird then it's worth getting checked out. Tightness in the chest is common IMO in cold weather but if your concerned about your health then get it looked at. FYI my medical opinion is worth about nil. I'm a Geologist, not a Physician.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
They can't do much but...

You should still see a doctor. I've cracked my sturnum twice, the first was far worst than the last but it's never easy. Because your sturnum is allways moving (if you like breathing) so it heals slowly, talk to an ortho, take anti inflamitory meds and don't take the lack of pain due to the anti inflamitories as a green light to work hard. Time is your freind. My first was sevier and I didn't have a clue how to handle it; as a jock I allways pushed myself as soon as I felt better which of course kept setting me back, because I pushed I kept hurting myself and I wasn't fully healed for 3 years. I learned the lesson and the second time I was good in 6 months. I know that isn't what you wanted to hear but if you want it over quicker ride the road and listen to your ortho.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.