Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Dickhouse
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just broke my 2005 specialized enduro. The derailleur hanger ripped off of the frame. It was only the 4th time the bike has ever been ridden. First off, is this a common thing to happen? It seems like a terrible design, so I'm sure that I'm not the first that this has happened to.

What would my best options be? I heard I could get a new rear triangle. Not sure I want to bother with that. I figure after all the hassle and cost I might as well of bought a new frame. Its got a full XT group, barely used, so should I just look for another frame?

If I am looking for another frame, what are some good options? I'll probably be looking for used, and sub $500. I don't need anything too serious, mostly do XC riding. BTW, I normally ride a rigid SS 29, so know nothing about the full-sus world. Educate me.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Wait a minute. You're going to bail on this bike because the derailleur hanger, about $30 was destroyed? And you hope to get something better for under $500?

What is it you don't like? Saying you're not a fan of the geometry isn't saying much.

IMO it's going to be tough to find a better full suspension bike for that kind of money. Are you sure you want full sus?

Walt

·
Dickhouse
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Walt Dizzy said:
Wait a minute. You're going to bail on this bike because the derailleur hanger, about $30 was destroyed? And you hope to get something better for under $500?
Ya I'll probably just stick with it now. When I thought it was a busted frame it had me thinking of something new. Is finding a decent XC or AM full-sus frame, in used condition, for around $500 out of the question?

Walt Dizzy said:
What is it you don't like? Saying you're not a fan of the geometry isn't saying much.
It's just too relaxed and slow climbing for me. I'm used to my SS rigid 29er, so it's like riding a completely different machine. Maybe I'm just not used to full-sus. I would like to try others to see if any can come close to the agressiveness and climbing of my 29er.
Walt Dizzy said:
IMO it's going to be tough to find a better full suspension bike for that kind of money. Are you sure you want full sus?

Walt
Not sure I do want a full sus (actually wouldn't even have one but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on this), but now that I have one I may as well get into it right? It's a lot more fun for DH than my 29. Besides, it makes an awesome winter bike, so YES, I do want it.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
dickt3030 said:
It's just too relaxed and slow climbing for me. I'm used to my SS rigid 29er, so it's like riding a completely different machine. Maybe I'm just not used to full-sus. I would like to try others to see if any can come close to the agressiveness and climbing of my 29er.
Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying you want a more forward/stretched position? Or are you referring to pedaling efficiency while standing? There are likely newer frames that have better pedaling efficiency but nothing will feel like a hardtail except maybe something from Specialized with the "brain" shock turned all the way up. That's far beyond $500 though.

Glad to hear the frame isn't broke. I'd say get it back together and put some time in on it. Full suspension bikes do better with a sit and spin pedal style which is likely pretty different than what you're used to and not what your legs are trained for. Try riding only the FS bike for two or three weeks and then see what you think.

·
Registered
703 Posts
dickt3030 said:
Well, it IS a totally different machine. Sounds like you really wanted a FS XC bike more than something as aggressively AM as an Enduro. Its a cool bike though, so if you got a good deal that's a bonus. If you ever ride the sorts of trails its good for then might as well keep it. Its set up more for gnarly downhill sections but still possible to climb up to them easier than pushing a real DH bike up the same hills. It sure as hell isn't comparable to a rigid SS 29'er, heh.

·
Dickhouse
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
car_nut said:
Can you elaborate on this? Are you saying you want a more forward/stretched position? Or are you referring to pedaling efficiency while standing? There are likely newer frames that have better pedaling efficiency but nothing will feel like a hardtail except maybe something from Specialized with the "brain" shock turned all the way up. That's far beyond $500 though.

Glad to hear the frame isn't broke. I'd say get it back together and put some time in on it. Full suspension bikes do better with a sit and spin pedal style which is likely pretty different than what you're used to and not what your legs are trained for. Try riding only the FS bike for two or three weeks and then see what you think.
I have been riding it for about a month now (before last night), and yes the first thing I noticed was that I could not stand and climb but had to sit and spin. This turned out to be a blessing, because I was riding on snow covered trails, and the SS could not get it done. That is the main reason the Enduro will be my winter bike, plus the extra cushion from suspension. I do like it as a training bike. Its heavy and inefficient as all hell, so will probably make me stronger. I have a feeling it won't see the light of day during the summer tho...:mad:

·
Dickhouse
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
picassomoon said:
Well, it IS a totally different machine. Sounds like you really wanted a FS XC bike more than something as aggressively AM as an Enduro. Its a cool bike though, so if you got a good deal that's a bonus. If you ever ride the sorts of trails its good for then might as well keep it. Its set up more for gnarly downhill sections but still possible to climb up to them easier than pushing a real DH bike up the same hills. It sure as hell isn't comparable to a rigid SS 29'er, heh.
So the Enduro falls into the AM category? That answers some questions for me. I had no idea what FS category it fell into.

What ticks me off tho, is that it was brand new when I got it. Its a 2005, but had never been ridden. I rode it 4, maybe 5, times, and broke the rd-hanger. What is that about? If I would have bought it in 2005 for (i think) $2300, I would've been super pissed.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You hit a rock, the chain was set up to short, or the derailleur was not set up properly and could move too close to the spokes and got caught in the wheel.

One is your fault, the other two are the fault of the person who set it up. None are a design defect.

·
CoolArrow
2,473 Posts
dickt3030 said:
So the Enduro falls into the AM category? That answers some questions for me. I had no idea what FS category it fell into.

What ticks me off tho, is that it was brand new when I got it. Its a 2005, but had never been ridden. I rode it 4, maybe 5, times, and broke the rd-hanger. What is that about? If I would have bought it in 2005 for (i think) $2300, I would've been super pissed.
I bought a used 2006 Enduro last fall, and have pounded the heck out of it - light downhill, lots of free ridey stuff, an extended trip to Moab... even blew the seals on my 66, but my deraileur hanger is fine. There's not really much wrong with the design. How to did you break it off? Were you just "riding along" and it popped off? Hit a rock? Was it loose? Would you know how to tell if it was loose (coming from a SS 29'er background)? Deraileur hangers don't usually just up and break for no reason - unless you live in Phoenix and ride South Mountain a lot ;)

·
Dickhouse
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya I down-shifted on a moderate climb and the chain got hung up between cogs. I remember looking down right before it happened. The chain was across 2 or 3 cogs. I tried to keep pedaling, hoping that it was just in between climbing the cogs, and ripped it off. I didn't have to pedal hard at all to rip it off.

·
Registered
438 Posts
What chain ring were you in? I still think that the RD was caught in the spokes. Remember that when you are shifting the pulleys are ahead of where the chain is because that is what causes it to change cogs. It is especially true when you are viewing the cassette from the top. It wouldn't take really any pedal force because your momentum would be what causes the RD to bend the hanger. It may of had to bend it a little bit and the combination of that and then being crooked as it changed gears with your pedal stroke cause it to break off.

Bottom line is it is not a design flaw. Me and many other people have put thousands of hours on that generation bike without a single problem with the hanger. That being said there is also a reason that the hangars are replaceable. You are not the first to break one and you wont be the last. I wouldn't be upset but when you do fix it I would go through the steps to make sure the RD is setup properly.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
dickt3030 said:
Ya I down-shifted on a moderate climb and the chain got hung up between cogs. I remember looking down right before it happened. The chain was across 2 or 3 cogs. I tried to keep pedaling, hoping that it was just in between climbing the cogs, and ripped it off. I didn't have to pedal hard at all to rip it off.
The hangers are meant to break away, to prevent damage to the frame or derailleur. It's very possible you hit something on a previous ride and cracked it, causing it to fail.

·
Registered
784 Posts
picassomoon said:
Well, it IS you really wanted a FS XC bike more than something as aggressively AM as an Enduro. Its set up more for gnarly downhill sections hell isn't comparable to a rigid SS 29'er, heh.
That is a machine that many on this forum section would love to have, me included You should sell it, because in reality you don't have the balls that will aquire the skills to do what this bike is capable of. And if you had, your objective would not be to pedal around as fast as you can and only 4 or 5 rides. It's riding gravity assisted rooty rocky section with god forbid a drop or two to get the heart pumping. So sell this to someone willing to tear a ligament or two, break a wrist, bruse a sternum and dislocate a elbow.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I think its the perfect bike for you! The enduro being the completely opposite machine to your other one only makes it that much better in you stable. As you mentioned earlier this bike seems to be your ideal winter bike so far. It's slower and heavier, but it works in the snow on terrain where your SS makes it too hard for you to clear. Essentially you now have a winter/snow bike that'll be great training for your SS when the summer comes along.
During summer just pack the enduro away till the winter rolls in again. You could also go buy yourself a nice used FS xc frame with a fork and swap the drivetrain on the Enduro to the XC frame during the summer then swap it back during the winter. This way not all of it is going to a waste during the summer.

·
Dickhouse
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the responses. I didn't realize this bike was that highly thought of. Now I'm motivated again to ride it. Was just kind of disgusted last night when it happened. The fork tho, Manitou Black?, is pretty low quality. If I really do get into it, I'll have to replace that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.