Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I purchased a pair of whyte Sidi Dragon 2 Carbon in 2009 in Spain, I´m from Venezuela (Latin America), so I have no SIDI dealers arround...After some use (normal use for a MTB shoe), the sole (the plastic part) is starting to separate from the shoe (from the leather of where the feet is holded).

I want to know if this is something I can repair by myselft applying some shoe maker glue or it will be better with EPOXY, or do you recommend other procedure?.

I think that it´s unaceptable, to have a pair of 400$ shoes starting to dismantelate after 2 years of 8 hours a week of MTB riding (mostly under dry conditions).

Attached are some pictures of what I´m talking about.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

PS: I have emailed this same message to sidi usa and sidi sports (Italy), with some hope of a warranty claim or something that proves that part of the price tag is not just for "the sake of fashion"...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,459 Posts
According to the last issue of MTB action, all your bike stuff is supposed to be worn out after 1 or 2 years. What a stupid magazine. My Shimano shoes are 14 years old and easily have 1000 hours on them. My bikes last a long time too. your shoes shouldn't be dead in 2 years.

Drew
 

·
nocturnal oblivion
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
Give us an update on how Sidi responds. I've heard mixed stories, some of Sidis wearing prematurely, others of them being used for many years. (Maybe it's the ones from 10 years ago that were made to last.)
I've been on a pair of their low end model (predecessor to the Sidi Giaus, $90 on sale) for two years and they're holding up well, aside from rock abuse to the synthetic leather stuff.
What you have there is enough though to make me question ever getting another pair.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For sure, I´m waiting for their reply, but in the meantime I have buyed the glue special for shoes...at any case...this premature wear just sucks.
 

·
is buachail foighneach me
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
I would recommend taking it to a shoe repair professional. I'm sure it could be re-glued, but it might require being cleaned out thoroughly beforehand. I would imagine a skilled cobbler could do it for a reasonable price.

From what I could dig up with a web search, SIDI has a 1 year from date of purchase warranty, which is pretty common for anything other than frames.
 

·
Content from my avatar
Joined
·
4,355 Posts
I have a pair of Sidi Giau, had them for maybe fifteen months by now. A few months ago, stupid me decided to stop thinking, and as I'm trying to remove the cleats I turn the bolts the wrong way until I break the little metal receiver inside the sole of the shoe. Well, there are two sets of those receivers in each shoe, but I liked my old cleat position better. I have to use the rear set of receivers now, instead of the front ones, which I used to use. :sad:

Let us know how Sidi handles it. My issue is much less an issue of warranty, but it's worth a try if they take care of you.
 

·
is buachail foighneach me
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
erik1245 said:
I have a pair of Sidi Giau, had them for maybe fifteen months by now. A few months ago, stupid me decided to stop thinking, and as I'm trying to remove the cleats I turn the bolts the wrong way until I break the little metal receiver inside the sole of the shoe. Well, there are two sets of those receivers in each shoe, but I liked my old cleat position better. I have to use the rear set of receivers now, instead of the front ones, which I used to use. :sad:

Let us know how Sidi handles it. My issue is much less an issue of warranty, but it's worth a try if they take care of you.

SIDI usa specifically addresses that very issue in the FAQ on their website. It's not covered, and they tell you how to replace them.... I saw it earlier today while browsing their site looking for warranty info related to this thread.
 

·
Content from my avatar
Joined
·
4,355 Posts
sean salach said:
SIDI usa specifically addresses that very issue in the FAQ on their website. It's not covered, and they tell you how to replace them.... I saw it earlier today while browsing their site looking for warranty info related to this thread.
I really wasn't expecting it to be covered, just wondering. Thanks for the heads-up though, I think I just threw out the owner's manual and whatnot for those shoes too. Now I just have to figure out if I'm gonna shell out money for a new "receptacle plate." :thumbsup:
 

·
nocturnal oblivion
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
sean salach said:
SIDI usa specifically addresses that very issue in the FAQ on their website. It's not covered, and they tell you how to replace them.... I saw it earlier today while browsing their site looking for warranty info related to this thread.
Just a side note, I used to do the cleat just behind the ball of the foot thing. Then I read up on the whole move it back all the way idea. My feet are much happier now. I don't have a link but there was a whole school of thought of moving the cleat way back, there were even shoes with the cleat in the middle of the sole.
Point being, if SIDI doesn't offer an help on the stripped bolt try it (in the rear?) (in the back?)???? Just try the rear bolt holes, you might like it-wait...:madman:
 

·
Content from my avatar
Joined
·
4,355 Posts
stumblemumble said:
Just a side note, I used to do the cleat just behind the ball of the foot thing. Then I read up on the whole move it back all the way idea. My feet are much happier now. I don't have a link but there was a whole school of thought of moving the cleat way back, there were even shoes with the cleat in the middle of the sole.
Point being, if SIDI doesn't offer an help on the stripped bolt try it (in the rear?) (in the back?)???? Just try the rear bolt holes, you might like it-wait...:madman:
With my new arrangement of the cleats, they're farther towards the rear of the shoe. I'm not allowed to mtb yet (knee issues) so I've only been using the new cleat adjustment on the road for about a month now. I can't say I liked it at first, but it's starting to grow on me, and I may just leave the cleats right where they are. It's still nice to have whole, entirely-functioning shoes though, if you know what I mean. :idea:
 

·
nocturnal oblivion
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
erik1245 said:
With my new arrangement of the cleats, they're farther towards the rear of the shoe. I'm not allowed to mtb yet (knee issues) so I've only been using the new cleat adjustment on the road for about a month now. I can't say I liked it at first, but it's starting to grow on me, and I may just leave the cleats right where they are. It's still nice to have whole, entirely-functioning shoes though, if you know what I mean. :idea:
The issue I had resolved by moving the cleats back was, on very long descents of 5+ miles, the soles of my feet were killing me. I thought I was getting plantar fascitis. Never occurred again after the adjustment. It definitely takes some stress off the feet, achilles and calves by moving the cleat back. On the down side presumably you lose pedaling force.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I´m in conversations with SIDI sports (not SIDI America), and they seem to be nice persons, but I´m still waiting for a veredict about my issue. I´m planning to call them today if I do not get an email answer. This process is just SLOW...

Sidi America, just told me that they can´t do a thing because I´m out of their juridisction, so I should look for a nearest dealer, and they refered me to dealers in other countrys that are near mine...that´s not a solution...

Anyways, I´ll keep you updated...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
The process is long, buy cheap shoes while they decide your fate
Took 4 months for me, and I had a friend at SIDI USA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,970 Posts
I am glad someone else brought this up. I have posted this topic in the past.

About two or three years ago I continued my long tradition of buying Sidi Dominator shoes. The price had increased, but I decided what the heck (they are good shoes) and I bought them. Within 6 months the sole was separating from the shoe. So I called and complained. Even though they still blamed me for the problem (they said I did not wad paper in them when the shoes became wet), I was sent a new pair for free.

I though "cool, I'll give these a try." Well, within three months those soles started separating as well (like backwards flipflops). I did not bother compaining and switched to Lakes.

It is my theory that Sidi started using a different, less durable, apoxy in the sole area. I say this because (while I do ride in wet and steep (hike-a-bike) areas) I had been wearing Dominators since about 1995, and the Dominators of the past would NOT die by sole separation. They would die because my foot would eventually blow out the side of the shoe after several years of intense use (which I felt was normal after extended use).

All I can say is Sidi shoes have gotten cheaper and more expensive at the same time. You might get some help this time, but look elsewhere for the next set of shoes. They are definately not worth it.

My Lakes are still going strong (without wadding paper in them each time they get wet).
 

·
MarkyMark
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
I feel ya! I hope Sidi comes through for you. Those Dragons look sweet and I was looking at them (for their pimp factor), but settled on a pair of Dominators since I hadn't any experience with Sidi. My Dominators are still fine after 2 years of relatively light use.

I had the sole delamination issue on a two pairs of Pearl Izumis. They traded in two pair of relatively high-end shoes (>$150 each) for $50 each and used them for credit on another set of Pearl Izumi Elite MTB shoes. So far they're great, but I don't think I'd purchase any shoes from Pearl Izumi in the future after these wear out.

BTW, I tried epoxy on a set of the Pearl Izumis, but they didn't hold. You probably need to go to a cobbler or something.
 

·
Hi.
Joined
·
3,865 Posts
Pisgah said:
All I can say is Sidi shoes have gotten cheaper and more expensive at the same time. You might get some help this time, but look elsewhere for the next set of shoes. They are definately not worth it.

This is all you need to know. There are better shoes out there for less money. I've had good luck with Specialized brand shoes, but it's all about what fits.

The only SIDIs I own are for my road bike. I'd never drop the cash to buy them for the MTB because I know I'll blow them out after a year or two.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top