Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the student athletes on our team has M785 brakes on his bike and the right brake mounting point for the i-spec shifter has broken. I have searched and cannot find a right M785 i-spec brake assembly anywhere. Looks to have been discontinued for some time. I thought of ordering an M8000 i-spec II unit but I do not know if it is compatible. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
One of the student athletes on our team has M785 brakes on his bike and the right brake mounting point for the i-spec shifter has broken. I have searched and cannot find a right M785 i-spec brake assembly anywhere. Looks to have been discontinued for some time. I thought of ordering an M8000 i-spec II unit but I do not know if it is compatible. Any tips?

It's either an i-spec (1) a or b. I-spec 2 is not backwards compatible with brakes that were designed for i-spec 1, bet it the A or B version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will have either BL-M785 or BL-M785-B stamped on the lever.

I-Spec/I-Spec A = BL-M785
I-Spec B = BL-M785-B
Thanks, it's a I-spec A.

Did try Google fu, no luck due to my weak sauce. ;)

BTW, I really dislike the whole I-spec configuration, such a pain in the azz to repair issue as they come up. Can just replace a shifter or brake lever assm. , nooo, you have to fine a compatible part that is obsolete.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Thanks, it's a I-spec A.

Did try Google fu, no luck due to my weak sauce. ;)

BTW, I really dislike the whole I-spec configuration, such a pain in the azz to repair issue as they come up. Can just replace a shifter or brake lever assm. , nooo, you have to fine a compatible part that is obsolete.

I guess your keywords were not strong enough

With regards to the i-spec, to be fair, the i-spec ii is still widely available as the i-spec ev for their 12spd range is relatively new. It's only the i-spec a and b that are out of parts. I do get how you feel though, having owned a pair or old brakes using i-spec b before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well found both parts at Universal Cycles, total is 81$. Old school Clamp on style would have cost 0$, nothing to break. Oh well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.