Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My right shifter broke yesterday. So I need to replace it. I have to pull out the cable correct? Then run it through the new shifter. When running it through the rear dérailleur do I need to mess with the limit screw as well? Or just with the barrel adjuster? Usually my friend does it for me but I'm trying to learn on my own now.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Remove the cable from the old shifter. If it were me, I would run a completely new cable. As for the RD, you should not have to change any of the settings (ie high, low limit screws or the B screw). Cable tension is the one you will need to get right.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought it would be. Seems like an easy fix. I'll be back tomorrow when I run into some sort of issue. Thanks for now. Let's hope i don't have to come back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
two issues...

1. it skips from the biggest sprocket to the 3rd biggest. skipping the one in between most of the time. it shifts fine with all 8 other sprockets...this one area is the issue...where do i adjust from here? not sure if its a limit screw, b screw or barrel adjustment.

2. when shifting to high gears and i get to the 11, i can still click on the shifter...it will not shift the chain but when i start shift down on gears again i have to click it twice to get out of the 11t into the next biggest...is this a limit screw issue?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Sounds more like cable tension to me. The limit screws just set the outer bounds of the derailleur, beyond which it cannot physically go.

Try reading this. Also check to make sure that your hanger is straight (read this).

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
two issues...

1. it skips from the biggest sprocket to the 3rd biggest. skipping the one in between most of the time. it shifts fine with all 8 other sprockets...this one area is the issue...where do i adjust from here? not sure if its a limit screw, b screw or barrel adjustment.

2. when shifting to high gears and i get to the 11, i can still click on the shifter...it will not shift the chain but when i start shift down on gears again i have to click it twice to get out of the 11t into the next biggest...is this a limit screw issue?
The shifter's indexing is off from the cassette's indexing by one gear.

Put the shifter in two (second smallest). While turning the cranks, turn the barrel adjuster out (ccw) until the chain jumps to the second smallest cog. Fine tune from there - a couple more clicks out will be close.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I click the right shifter into the position you mentioned. let the chain land wherever it lands, which would probably be the 3rd smalles cog? Then just turn cranks and barrel adjuster until chain jumps. Right?? Just wanna be clear on chain position before I start cranking and turning.

And by smallest you mean gear as in 30t or sprocket which would be the 12t or 13t ? I'm assuming you mean gear which would be the 30t but I sometimes get the terms confused.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Scroll down to indexing.

Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Rear Derailler Adjustments (derailleur)

Repeatedly press the finger shifter to get to the small cog position. Then press the thumb lever once (second smallest position). If the chain is on the third smallest cog, turn the BA in (cw). If the chain is on the smallest cog, turn the BA out (ccw). You want the chain to be on the second smallest cog when the shifter is in that position.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If after following the directions listed by Shalom and rlouder and you're still having rear shifting issues, then consider re-aligning the rear derailleur hanger. I'm guessing the derailleur hanger is not the problem if the shifting was okay prior to the broken shifter; however, you didn't specify how the shifter broke, so the bike could have been in a crash and tweaked the hanger as well...just another possibility to consider.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

The index will fix my chain skipping cogs (the large cogs 34t, 30t,) or will it fix the not shifting unless i preas it twice when I get on the small cog (11t)? I'm at work right now. Can't get my hands on the bike til tomorrow.

Btw, the shifter broke when I pressed it to shift. The bottom half fellouts on to the ground. I tried to pick up all the pieces. Couldn't put it back together on the trail or at home. It was shifting good before it broke. So I know it's cable tension somewhere.

Thanks for the help once again

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Btw, I messed it all up because after I installed the cable the chain was running against the pulley. I I think all I had to do was adjust the b screw and I would have been done. Oh well, u live and u learn. I guess it's good experience since this is my first derailleur adjustment. The park tool instructions were better than sheldon browns in my opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts