Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh, broke my seat rail today ! The seat is about 8 months old, a WTBLaser V Team with Ti rails and the bike is a Kona HT with a Thompson seat post. It snapped just behind the clamp while riding singletrack navigating a small downhill to uphill dip/depression. The seat was clamped within the range printed on the rails, although not quite in the middle. This bike has been used mainly on single track, no real big drops or jumping. I'm bummed...thought it would have lasted quite a long time. Have really liked it and had no problems, then wham, I am riding the last 1/2 mile standing the whole way, which I guess I am lucky that it happened that close to my truck. Anyways, are seats/rails warrantied? Anybody with some 1st hand knowledge or exerience with replacing seats/seat rails/warranty issues? Thanks much !

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
For some reason I've never had a Ti rail seat even last that long. CroMo for me all the way.

I'd think you'd have decent odds at getting the warranty.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Yep, I also broke 2 ti railed seats. Won't use them on mt. bikes anymore and only ride chromoly railed seats now.

Yes, WTB will likely warranty the seat. You'll have to pay a 'rail replacement fee' which is something like $35 plus shipping......which, ironically, is more than a brand new speed V. Lots of people have good luck with ti seats, but one of mine broke on a crash and the other broke when I landed with a bunch of weight on the saddle during a botched wheelie drop off a log. To each their own, but dropping a few grams and spending 3x the price on the same seat that I'll eventually break doesn't make sense for me. FYI, I've broken the selle italia flite ti and the wtb laser team v.

Cheers,
EBX

1 - 4 of 4 Posts