Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two summers a go I clipped a pedal on a hidden stump and got slammed. Concussion and broken ribs. After that experience broken ribs were my worst fear.

And last Sunday I broke them again! Washed out on a high speed berm at Deer Valley. I had a very nice Alpine Stars chest protector on but I hit right on the side lower floating ribs where the armor is minimal.

Just wanted to reflect as I sit here in pain.

Broken ribs are the worst.

Maybe I need to mellow out in my riding and progression a little..... o_O

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,079 Posts
Two summers a go I clipped a pedal on a hidden stump and got slammed. Concussion and broken ribs. After that experience broken ribs were my worst fear.

And last Sunday I broke them again! Washed out on a high speed berm at Deer Valley. I had a very nice Alpine Stars chest protector on but I hit right on the side lower floating ribs where the armor is minimal.

Just wanted to reflect as I sit here in pain.

Broken ribs are the worst.

Maybe I need to mellow out in my riding and progression a little..... o_O
Naw, the worst is when you can't keep yourself from laughing...when you have broken ribs.

· Registered
7,177 Posts
As someone who racing motorcycles has broken over 20 bones, been in the ICU 4x, almost lost a shattered hand due to infection, shattered my spine and lost an inch of height, and briefly lost feeling in my legs, trust me, the 4-5x I've broken ribs were NOTHING and quite franky my favorite injury of them all.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As someone who racing motorcycles has broken over 20 bones, been in the ICU 4x, almost lost a shattered hand due to infection, shattered my spine and lost an inch of height, and briefly lost feeling in my legs, trust me, the 4-5x I've broken ribs were NOTHING and quite franky my favorite injury of them all.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
Damn Suns - should be Suns_pTsd!

I have been lucky I suppose on dirt bikes, sport bikes, and adventure bikes. I seem to have been hurt mountain biking the most by far.

But hey, at least I am getting a new sweet helmet with my Bell crash replacement :) Ordered a Bell Full 9 for DH and will be getting a Leatt 4.0 Enduro convertible or another Bell Super DH for trail riding soon as well. In this crash I was using the Bell Super DH, I hit my head head pretty hard, had no concussion at all. The impact didnt hurt or feel very hard. I think the spherical mips is pretty cool tech.

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been there, done that. Best to you @C Smasher, or should we call you Rib Smasher.
=sParty
Thank you. I wish I could change my user name to Rib Smasher, I quite like that. Is it possible to edit the user name here on MTBR? I think I have looked once or twice but didnt see the option.

Side note - C Smasher is my old Kawiforums user name from when I was young 20 years ago. The original was quite the vulgar "C" word so the mods changed it to only "C" Smasher after like 5 years. I will let you all figure out what it was.... I really do like Rib Smasher though.

· Registered
2,697 Posts
Bummer man, it’s no fun at all. In my experience, day two and three are the most painful after the ribs break. So good luck tomorrow :(.

I Broke two ribs, and fractured my big toe in 5 places about 9 weeks ago.

Caught a toe on the downhill, folded it under the pedal, and the impact threw me into the tree.

My ribs are totally good to go now (started riding 3-4 weeks ago). The toe is still sensitive, but mostly better as well. And since I got injured, I’ve been progressing again (learned my first baby “safety” trick today, super excited, even if you can hardly see it on camera). So you’ll be back at it and progressing again in a few weeks :).

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bummer man, it's no fun at all. In my experience, day two and three are the most painful after the ribs break. So good luck tomorrow :(.

I Broke two ribs, and fractured my big toe in 5 places about 9 weeks ago.

Caught a toe on the downhill, folded it under the pedal, and the impact threw me into the tree.

My ribs are totally good to go now (started riding 3-4 weeks ago). The toe is still sensitive, but mostly better as well. And since I got injured, I've been progressing again (learned my first baby "safety" trick today, super excited, even if you can hardly see it on camera). So you'll be back at it and progressing again in a few weeks :).
Thanks for the thoughts and words of encouragement.

Feet can hit the ground so hard. Your crash sounds pretty brutal! This stuff happens so fast.

Last time my ribs were worse than this time. I bet I can be riding again in 3-4 weeks like you. Last time I was out for over two months. I am confident will be close to 100% better for my Moab trip in 6 weeks. Cant wait to ride again!

Also - my knee, moto hip, and elbow pads saved me from major pain. Good stuff.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,145 Posts
Thank you. I wish I could change my user name to Rib Smasher, I quite like that. Is it possible to edit the user name here on MTBR? I think I have looked once or twice but didnt see the option.

Side note - C Smasher is my old Kawiforums user name from when I was young 20 years ago. The original was quite the vulgar "C" word so the mods changed it to only "C" Smasher after like 5 years. I will let you all figure out what it was.... I really do like Rib Smasher though.
About the name change... check post #1016 in this thread. There you'll find instructions on how to request a name change here on MTBR.
Meanwhile, again, best of luck with your snapped ribs. Voice of experience: if you have to sneeze, grab a pillow, hold it tightly against the broken ribs while you lean you back against a wall to immobilize your body as much as possible. Then let the sneeze out as gently as you can.
=sParty

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,079 Posts
Bruised my ribs really bad 2 weeks ago on a fast trail ride. I feel for you. The worst feeling. Still nearly die holding in a sneeze.
Probably fractured...but there's nothing you can do but give it 4-6 weeks...

Reactions: C Smasher

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
About the name change... check post #1016 in this thread. There you'll find instructions on how to request a name change here on MTBR.
Meanwhile, again, best of luck with your snapped ribs. Voice of experience: if you have to sneeze, grab a pillow, hold it tightly against the broken ribs while you lean you back against a wall to immobilize your body as much as possible. Then let the sneeze out as gently as you can.
=sParty
Thanks I will try this! I have sneezed and inhaled water and coughed more than usual tis last week!

And thanks for the name change thread. Now I have to decide :)

· The perfessor
814 Posts
Broke a collarbone and a rib about 6 years ago; collarbone was no problem but that rib really hurt..........it was the third time I'd done that - once in the chest region, once on the side, and the 3rd time in the back and the one on the side hurt the worst.........

Reactions: C Smasher
1 - 20 of 63 Posts