Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think that I used up all of my extra lives on tues the 5th. I was coming back from the GF house and on my way to work at 7am when I hit "black ice" and lost control and slid off the road sideways and rolled multiple times (3 I think) once I hit the soft dirt. After I worked my way out of the truck I layed flat and waited about a min. later for another vehicle came along to call the paramedics, GF, and parents. As soon as the paranedics got there they said that the air evac would be therer in 10 min. to fly my busted body to Phoenix ST.Joseph Hospital. While laying there I was spitting up foamy bright red blood so I knew I punctured a lung. but I didn"t know what else I did to my self, other than I knew that I was in bad shape. Well once they flew me to the hospital they put me into a medicaly induced coma for almost a week because all the dust into my lungs gave me instant pnemonia(sp). From what I was told they (everyone doctors, parents) didn't know if I was even going to survive the injurys. Well it makes me happy to say that I am still here I have a broken collar bone and 4 broken ribs along with a recovering lung on my left side and a broken rib on my right.

Needless to say I won't be seen at the shop for quite a while or the trail or road for even longer :( . I guess that this does give me and oppurtunity to change a few things on my bikes that I wouldn't be able to do while trying to ride them.

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
wow

I hope recovery is not too painful or slow. Good luck to you. Were you in a seatbelt?

·
I am Walt
6,282 Posts
Dude...glad to hear you're alive, doing OK and will heal. I've been in the shop a few times and was wondering where you were. You got insurance?

Take care,

Walt

·
Flight Junkie
832 Posts
get well soon.

I hope Air Evac treated you well. I work for them, so they better treat a fellow biker well. Here's to a speedy recovery.

·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
waltaz said:
Dude...glad to hear you're alive, doing OK and will heal. I've been in the shop a few times and was wondering where you were. You got insurance?

Take care,

Walt

Luckily I do have insurance. For those that were wondering I was indeed wearing a seatbelt, if I wasn't I wouldn't be here to type this.

If someone is willing to host and I can get the pics, I will put up pics of what is left of my truck.

·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IBIKEAZ said:
I hope Air Evac treated you well. I work for them, so they better treat a fellow biker well. Here's to a speedy recovery.
I think that it was actually Pelican but they were out of Prescott. It would have been kinda hard to tell I was rider because the truck was sitting on my bike roof rack, I think it wanted to see what it was like the other way around (ie the truck on the rack instead of the bikes).

·
Registered
504 Posts
Broken ribs

You should be able to get back on the road bike in a couple of weeks, it's fairly easy to isolate your muscle usage and control your breathing...of course your doctor should make that decision. I'd be willing to bet that nagging "whiplash" types of pains will follow you longer than the rib pain will.
Celebrate life whenever you can.....yes, you are lucky!

·
MTBR Tool
831 Posts
bugaroo said:
You should be able to get back on the road bike in a couple of weeks, it's fairly easy to isolate your muscle usage and control your breathing...of course your doctor should make that decision. I'd be willing to bet that nagging "whiplash" types of pains will follow you longer than the rib pain will.
Celebrate life whenever you can.....yes, you are lucky!
Here's to a speedy recovery Brian.

As a recent rib-breaker - I feel your pain :D

·
I lean like a cholo!
452 Posts
Get well

Get well dude,
Take it easy and listen to your Doc as to when to get riding again. Glad to hear you made it through, I've seen too many fatalities from motor vehicles.

Everyone else, be careful and wear your seatbelts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts