Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broken rear pivot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the rear pivots on my Mongoose teocali elite 2007 broke and I need to replace it. Unfortunately the part is on back order at Mongoose and they keep pushing the date back. I was wandering if I could go somewhere else to get this part because I would like to ride my bike this summer. Any help on locating this part would be greatly appreciated. Also any other options on fixing it would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows if this is a common thing to happen on this bike let me know.

It is not the black part on the bottom that connects the swing arm it is the actual pivot bolt. Someone on another forum suggested that it is just a bolt and he felt I could get the bolt at any hardware store and it may be better than the original. Does anyone here know if this is true? Should I post this in another area to get an answer. I am really wanting to get back on my bike again, been down since mid-may and summers are short in Ohio. I have posted in several areas I will also post in the mongoose forum.

Thanks

I will post some pics.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
"Someone on another forum suggested that it is just a bolt and he felt I could get the bolt at any hardware store and it may be better than the original."

Looks anything but standard to me. I'd guess they said that not knowing what it looked like. My pivot bolts look nothing like yours. Have you tried going to an lbs and bring the bolt with you. The key dimensions are diameter of bolt (not the threads and the total length as measured from the underside of the bolt heads with the bolt together.

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
Try doing a google search for nuts & bolts or fasteners or something along those lines. I was looking for some oddball nuts/bolts awhle back and found all sorts of sites with just about any bolt you could imagine.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I suggest you look for a machinist to make another piece for you, even though you may have some problems because you don't have an original, unbroken piece. But that may not matter

Nonetheless, I have gone to a machinist before when I needed a specialty metal part. Look for someone working out of a small outfit, as you might get quick service (the bigger outfits probably don't have the time). If you can't find someone on your own, go to the bigger shops and ask around for someone they know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have taken to a local shop and they were not much help. Called around my area and about 2hrs into the surrounding area with no help. Seems like my best chance now would be a machine shop based on the feedback I have been getting. Thanks for the replys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.