Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Well I own an 08 Specialized Rockhopper Disc and seem to have an issue with it. I just noticed today that the round plastic spoke guard behind the causette has broken. The little tabs that hold it in seem to have snapped off (well at least a few). To be honest I am unsure of how it broke, but it must have happened on my ride yesterday around the lake, which wasnt bad, and I dont remember any situations that I can recall would have specifically broken it.

My question is whether or not you guys think I should just take it off? Is it a big deal to not have it on there?

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,452 Posts
Take it off. I never run one of those - they are just a reservoir for crud and look like crap once they get dirty. If your derailleur stop is adjusted right the chain will rarely or never fall in between the cassette and the spokes anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot bro...after I posted that I was looking at pics and noticed that there are a lot of people that run it that way. So, the plastic disc is gone now...I needed to clean and relube my chain anyway. Checked to make sure the derailer was set correctly and now I'm good to go.

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
I just had mine taken off this weekend. It just gets nasty and has no real use (if your dérailleur is setup properly). It's just there to prevent the chain to overshift. I think they just carried this thing over from the cheap/old bikes and found a place on any new rear wheel - by default...

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
I think that was the second thing I took off after I got my first bike ... reflectors were the first ... I should still have it somewhere ... if you want to pay good money for it I will post it to you postage free ... ;) ... the fee is for me to go look for it ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.