Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hammered a Shimano m540 pedal on a rock. Now I cannot clip in on the one side of the pedal. I have looked at it and can't really even see what bent, but something obviously did. I have some m520 pedals, all the parts look the same. Anybody ever tried fixing a pedal or are they something to just replace?

Also, there there seems like to good reason (other than throwing money away) to buy the XT or XTR pedals. XTR's are a little lighter, but $100 more.

Anybody tried the XPEDO pedals?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,806 Posts
twelve34 said:
I hammered a Shimano m540 pedal on a rock. Now I cannot clip in on the one side of the pedal. I have looked at it and can't really even see what bent, but something obviously did. I have some m520 pedals, all the parts look the same. Anybody ever tried fixing a pedal or are they something to just replace?

Also, there there seems like to good reason (other than throwing money away) to buy the XT or XTR pedals. XTR's are a little lighter, but $100 more.

Anybody tried the XPEDO pedals?
Yep, they can usually be repaired. The problem is usually getting the spring in there (and tensioned). I've usually had to use a vice and prying tools, but I've done it several times.

·
too cold to ride
1,130 Posts
I think the main difference between the models is weight- if you can't get the pedal back right, slap the 520s on and see how much of a difference it makes.

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
I've run a couple pairs of the Xpedo pedals, and have been happy with them. Work with the Xpedo cleats or Shimano cleats. The titanium version is very light, lighter than XTR. The bearings in the left pedal of my ti Xpedos did eventually go bad, but I just had to ship them to Xpedo and they replaced the bearings free of charge (just had to pay to ship them to Taiwan).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.