Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently took My Turner O2 model frame out for a spin in my driveway and the frame completely cracked. The frame is nearly 5 years old but the place where the break occurred leaves me with a few questions. I am posting pics. The break is right at a weld. I am wondering if the frame was possibly overheated at that point during the weld.
Also, what are my warranty options with Turner? I have registered the frame.
Thanks,

The Deacon

UPDATE: Removed "snuff shots" per CC's suggestion...I noticed he posts a lot and concluded that taking his advice would be a sound decision

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
remove yer snuff shots then call turner on monday and ask for greg. thats my suggestion. and be patient. theyre commin off a week of vacation and inventory so im sure theres a ass ton of emails and voice mails waitin for em.

edit: cool of ya to remove the pics. they just piss off the turner crew. greg will most likely ask for those in a more private setting like mm mentions below.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Many will post after I will and say that Turner has the best warranty in the industry and that is what I too will tell you.

What you need to do is send an email to them with photos or call them tomorrow to work through the warranty process. My guess is that you will receive a discount on a new frame which you would be blown away at how well the new DW rides.

As hard as it is to see your frame broken know that Dave and the guys at Turner will take care of you. Do a search for Turner warranty and see how many great things come of it.

·
Nothing can stop me now
1,045 Posts
Lucky guy...

Looking at those pictures all I could think of is "That guy gets a new DWL turner, I wish I were him" :)

Or "If that were me, the wife would have to let me get a new frame"

Oh well go ride my '08 spot again :)

bobo

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
$500 off as a trade in, or you can hunt for a Burner/XCE frame. Not as light, but not too far off, but geo is different.

The frame didn't just break. There was something going on before that might have not been visible. At that point, the frame could possibly have been rewelded, but now it's beyond recovery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Me too.

My 02 rfx brake tabs cracked last weekend. I am sad about it but I am considering a 08 or 07 rfx. I hope they still have a few. Maybe a spot on there sale page for 1200 bucks. I will be talking to the warranty guy tomorrow as well. I can not expect much because that old rfx does not owe me a thing. I will let you know what comes from it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cactus...what is a snuff shot?

...and bobo I'm in the "If that were me, the wife would have to let me get a new frame" category.

Chicken...I hadn't ridden the bike since late October when I raced a 12 hour...picked up an injury and two days ago was itching for a quick spin...never have heard a creak or anything evidencing a problem...I am super meticulous with upkeep and was completely taken aback when she snapped before making it out of the driveway. She has been sweet to me.

Here she is in an action shot before I changed the decals out.

I need to start reading up on the dwl linkage...the Spot or the Flux? I am thinking the Spot just for ORAMM and Syllamo's Revenge. Not much other need for the Spot in Memphis.

Deacon

Attachments

·
Rides like wrecking ball
1,122 Posts
deaconmtb said:
what are my warranty options with Turner?
Technically?...None. Not that it matters, but was the O2 really produced as late as '03/'04?

Realistically?...Pretty good. Better than any other company and better than anyone should ever expect.

Worst case scenario, you take the $500 trade in on a Flux or maybe Turner can find you a Nitrous somehow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had it 5 years...bought from college buddy for 1200 built up. Not sure how old she was when I got her.

·
12,942 Posts
snuff shot = pic of a busted part.

checkin the turner timeline, i see that the o2 was only produced between '09 and '02 makin it much closer to 7 years old. 12 hunny built? that was a screamin deal! those frames were about 1800 as i remember. bein that old, even if ya had the original frame recipt, ill assume that leaves ya with the trade in only but talk to greg.

not sure whats left in '08's but i think all the spots and rfx's are history. the flux is a killer xc/endurance/light trail rig. does this fit in yer plan? if not, grab up a '09 spot. the dwl is clearly better than the rocker bikes anyway. from there, its only a matter of budget.

·
Nothing can stop me now
1,045 Posts
That's a relief...

deaconmtb said:
Cactus...what is a snuff shot?

...and bobo I'm in the "If that were me, the wife would have to let me get a new frame" category.

Deacon
I wrote that with my wife looking over my shoulder and she just laughed (2008 Spot and a 2006 RFX (new to me as of August 2008) in my garage).

I have ridden the DW 5 spot and DW sultan. Both are excellent, but I am very intrigued by the Flux and hope to demo one next weekend.

Turner may have some 08 Flux frames in stock which would really limit your expense. I am sure they will take care of you.

bobo

·
Official Member
307 Posts
If it was any other company, I wouldn't expect much of a response when calling about a broken, 7-9 year old frame, that was purchased used. It would be very cool if they work with you on the trade-in program .... it could work out well for everyone.

·
Huh?
848 Posts
Its really quite simple, This below will not apply to you for obvious reasons

Turner Limited 3 Year Frame Warranty (Five Spot, Flux, RFX, Sultan, Highline)

Turner will repair or replace any of the above listed frames, if we determine it to be defective due to materials and /or workmanship. This 3 year warranty applies to the frameset only (not including suspension components), ridden under normal conditions, properly maintained and is transferable with original receipt.

However this does apply

Turner No Fault Replacement Policy (All Frames)

Turner Bikes will make replacement parts available at a minimum charge in the event of a crash or other non-warranty situation. This replacement policy is good for all frames including those who have purchased their frames new or used. This policy includes a frame trade in program allowing a current Turner frame owner to send in their old frame and receive a $500 credit off of the M.S.R.P of a brand new frame. The frame trade in policy is extended to all Turner frames regardless of age or condition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I realized the deal I was getting when I bought it...I think he had it two years...Money was not an issue with him so he didn't mind discounting...I told him 12 was as high I could go...was riding a Proflex model at the time...huge upgrade! She gave me a lot for 5 years...more than the money put in by far.

Deac

·
Registered
63 Posts
deaconmtb, I would recommend looking at a Flux for ORAMM. That should give you enough travel for the downhills and the efficiency for the long gravel climbs (that we all love). I just build up a 25 lbs 09 Flux with that race in mind. Can’t wait.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Copenhagen...was thinking of installing small 2-cycle engine for the 9 mile uphill...The Flux is what I am thinking is my future rig...can't wait to wail away down heartbreak ridge's 7 miles of downhill.

Deacon

·
12,942 Posts
a 9 mile climb? get a flux. simple. keep in mind im not man enough to climb 9 miles in a jeep.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts