Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I rot before I ripen
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

The lock nut on the drive side of the rear hub on my friend's A-Line is broken. It's the threaded ring that separates the cassette from the frame. The axle is 12mm, and the ring is like 2mm wide. You'd think it would be easy enough to find one.

However, none of the usual sources seem to carry this part (speedgoat, bti, beyond bikes).

Aside from waiting several weeks to get it warrantied from Norco, does anyone know an online store that sells replacement parts for Norco hubs?

Thanks,

damon

·
I rot before I ripen
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks for the reply. but this isn't actually part of the cassette. it's threaded to the 12mm thru-axle. without this lockring, the cassette gets tightened up against the dropout.

I've checked with some lbs, but no luck on 12mm.

damon

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Ah, a lock nut. Hardly a lockring. Go to your LBS, they should have a box full of them. If not, they should at least be able to order the appropriate one.

Lock Nut
A nut which is tightened against another nut to keep it from loosening up. Often, but not always, there will be a key washer between the lock nut and the cone or other part it secures.
Lock nuts are used to secure bearing adjustment of most hubs, headsets, pedals and sidepull brakes. Most hubs use lock nuts to secure the cones so that they will stay in adjustment. These lock nuts are the outermost parts which are screwed onto the axle, and their outer surfaces press against the insides of the fork ends of the frame. The lock nuts are therefore the reference point by which axle width and dishing are measured.

Lock Ring
A thin lock nut used to keep threaded assembly from coming unscrewed. Conventional bottom brackets use a lock ring on the adjustable cup to make it hold its adjustment.

·
I rot before I ripen
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Ah, a lock nut. Hardly a lockring. Go to your LBS, they should have a box full of them. If not, they should at least be able to order the appropriate one.
cool, thanks for the edification. I figured "lock-ring nut" would cover all my bases.

damon

·
I rot before I ripen
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
njhcx4xlife said:
try a hardware store but not lowes or home depot. Near me a lot of ace hardware stores have a good selection of this stuff. I would try a mom and pop hardware store first befoer you wait for a shop to order one.
yup. the local ace with the really good hardware selection didn't have it. the 12mm lock nuts they had were too wide.

damon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.