Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Light and Motion Solo Logic SL fell of my bars last night and went out. I looks as if it's just the halogen bulb thats taken a knock.

I think the current bulb is 13w and looks something like this:

The battery states it is 11.1v and 4mah.

Would it be possible to install a more powerful halogen bulb or even a LED instead?

Sorry, if this is a stupid question. I don't know about these things.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Well, it all depends on how involved you want to get. Easiest would be to replace the bulb with another, similar bulb.

Upgrading to LED would most likely involve removing/replacing the entire insides of the light. With the power LEDs you need a decent heat sink to prevent the emitter from overheating, and you'll also need a driver (constant current) to regulate the power going to the LED. Its probably doable, but I don't know enough about the Solo Logic to tell for certain.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dnlwthrn said:
Well, it all depends on how involved you want to get. Easiest would be to replace the bulb with another, similar bulb.

Upgrading to LED would most likely involve removing/replacing the entire insides of the light. With the power LEDs you need a decent heat sink to prevent the emitter from overheating, and you'll also need a driver (constant current) to regulate the power going to the LED. Its probably doable, but I don't know enough about the Solo Logic to tell for certain.
ok, forget the LED then.

Do you think I could replace it with a higher wattage bulb or won't it make any difference?

I'm thinking that the battery is capable of producing around 44 watts (11v x 4mah). I suspect I am probably incorrect with that!?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Depends on the type of battery. I assume your battery is a 4000 mah battery.
If you pull 1C or 4A then the batt will last 1 hr. Decide on your run time, then pick the bulb to fit.
If it is a 2 hr light that you need, then you shoul run about 2A*11V = 22Watt bulb, call it 15W to be safe.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Richy,
I'm working on a product I hope to lauch shortly that is a plug in replacement for people with halogen lights. It uses the latest LED for ~800 Lumens output, and adds an external heatsink that is cleanly and simply integrated. I would be interested in knowing more about your light, pictures, dimensions etc. If you would be willing to help me develop one by supplying some info for that model of light, I would be willing to give you a killer deal on the pkg to fix and significantly upgrade your light!! Let me know, we can work out the detials then. Thanks ~C

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.