Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out on a limb and bought a Parker 2. Had for 3 weeks and snapped the brake side dropout. I had wheelied my front tire onto an obstacle and was hopping backwards to ride it out when...SNAP. I guess now I get to find out how good Jamis customer service really is. Also, the build quality of the bike is not that great. The welds are sloppy. All the pivot hardware is a considerably different size than the inner diameter of the bearings, so there is some amount of slop in all the pivots except the one by the bottom bracket and the shock hardware.

I am trying to post pictures, but am having a hard time getting them small enough. I have a mac. Any tips?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Sucks man. Way to take one for the team though and test it for yourself so we know:thumbsup:

For pics. Create a photobucket account (takes about 2 minutes). Upload pictures. Copy and paste the link found under each pic. It's very simple. Then just paste that [IMG] link in the 'New Post' box.

Hope that helps.
 

·
SuperInstigator
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
****, I've got my mind set on that bike, either this next year or the next. I'd like to see some close ups of the welds and especially that break.

I second photobucket. It's easy and there's no need to resize images.

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
ouch

OK umm ouch!!!

Hey man didnt your mom ever tell you not to ride your bike in the house!! Just kidding....

We have had this bike out in the market and being ridden by our test riders and racers and this is a first! Please send me a PM and lets talk on the phone so I can get all the details and we can figure what what happened.

Thanks
Skip
 

·
SuperInstigator
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Karupshun said:
Jeez, I can lay down a better looking weld than that on a windy and cold day.....That's terrible looking.


They better warranty that with a much stronger seat stay/dropout
Actually, the weld that you see has little structural value, I believe. The top weld is for looks, and the structural weld is underneath that, AFAIK. I really don't care about aesthetics, as long as the frame is structurally strong.

And the Parker is not marketed as an SS. It doesn't come as a singlespeed, although that would be pretty sick. Check it on the Jamis website.

So to the OP. Were you doing rotational tricks and fakies on the Parker? Because it seems like you broke the dropout doing some kind of street move, which no full-suspension is intended for, AFAIK. Lateral weight and full-suspension just don't mix.

Tim
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
tibug said:
Actually, the weld that you see has little structural value, I believe. The top weld is for looks, and the structural weld is underneath that, AFAIK. I really don't care about aesthetics, as long as the frame is structurally strong.

And the Parker is not marketed as an SS. It doesn't come as a singlespeed, although that would be pretty sick. Check it on the Jamis website.

So to the OP. Were you doing rotational tricks and fakies on the Parker? Because it seems like you broke the dropout doing some kind of street move, which no full-suspension is intended for, AFAIK. Lateral weight and full-suspension just don't mix.

Tim

sorry, in DH/FR SS usually mean slopestyle...He also explains how he broke it in the OP

Even if it isn't structual, a sign of quality is a decently laid down weld. That is not a nice weld.
 

·
SuperInstigator
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Karupshun said:
sorry, in DH/FR SS usually mean slopestyle...He also explains how he broke it in the OP

Even if it isn't structual, a sign of quality is a decently laid down weld. That is not a nice weld.
Oh, I didn't realize, sorry.

I hear you about the weld. A good sign of what lies underneath is what is above.

That break wasn't even at the weld though....:skep:

Tim
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
42,984 Posts
yikers....good luck w/warranty....i would be asking for refund on the quality alone
 

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
10 bucks says that that dropout looks like this next year. That brake mount is putting a lot of torque on that dropout and I would be willing to guess you won't be the first with a broken frame. A simple gusset would most likely prevent this.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
I've been riding my Parker III a bit now and am surprised and obviously a bit conerned seeing this.

Mine seems to have much better overall welding quality, but that didn't even break at a weld! Apparenly the bike shipped with a set of extra bolts for the pivots as well as spacers, so maybe they adressed the issue of the loose pivots? I'd have to ask my bike shop exactly where they went.

The dropout sucks though. Weird that it just snapped doing that, I've done the exact same thing about 20 times on this bike already. (i do have a trials bike as well :D ) Unless you weigh 300+ it seems like there has to be some kind of defect to cause that to happen. Jamis will definitely take care of that. I haven't heard of anyone else breaking this frame, and i myself am not excetionally "smooth".
 

Attachments

·
@wishEMT
Joined
·
344 Posts
from what i've heard jamis's customer service is great. from the looks of things you were using the brake to stop you in a backwards motion, which in most cases frame will snap at the dropout from a design flaw in the way disc brakes are mounted to every frame. I believe the IS mount standard should be redesigned on every frame to account for this, but it gives reason to why trials riders (in most cases) use a rim brake in the rear
 

·
Just roll it......
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
Acme54321 said:
10 bucks says that that dropout looks like this next year. That brake mount is putting a lot of torque on that dropout and I would be willing to guess you won't be the first with a broken frame. A simple gusset would most likely prevent this.
I agree with this totally. Look at the brace on the bottlerocket as an example. That's how you get away from having the considerable stress at that location from breaking a frame. Other bikes have had to do similar reinforcements in the past after learning the hard way.

Cheers,
EB
 
1 - 20 of 128 Posts
Top