Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am in the market for a new frame? I love this bike, but look what happened! I don't do any crazy jumps, nothing over 2 or 3 feet. I've done drops on trails that are about 2 or 3 feet. That shouldn't have caused this? Should it? I'm 5'9" 195lbs. Am I too heavy for this frame? That is the only thing I can think of, unless I just got a defective frame. I have it at the bike shop hoping to get a replacement frame. I'm wondering if I should be considering another frame? Like an Avent? Any Ideas?

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Bad design no doubt, hardly any material there, I'd say get it warennteed and off to ebay, at 195 and riding trails aggressively get a heavier bike that's overbuilt and not underbuilt, good luck!

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Maybe not the right bike for you.

GODLIKE said:
I think I am in the market for a new frame? I love this bike, but look what happened! I don't do any crazy jumps, nothing over 2 or 3 feet. I've done drops on trails that are about 2 or 3 feet. That shouldn't have caused this? Should it? I'm 5'9" 195lbs. Am I too heavy for this frame? That is the only thing I can think of, unless I just got a defective frame. I have it at the bike shop hoping to get a replacement frame. I'm wondering if I should be considering another frame? Like an Avent? Any Ideas?

bit on the heavy side at 195. I'm 200 lbs. And add a 2-3 foot drop on a light XC frame and that may have caused the failure. See if they'll upgrade you to an Idrive 5. It's a bit burlier and has an extra inch of travel. there's about 3 times the amount of metal on the ID5 in that area vs. the IDXC. Made for the 2-3 foot drops. My ID 5 is good so far even after a bit of abuse.

A rukus would be nice too as stated above. but that's a 6 inch travel bike, may not be the best pedaller for trail riding.

I'm pretty sure GT has a good warrantee dept though.

REEK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.