Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I dont post much on here guess you could say im a lurker. Ive been pretty fortunate and Ive never had any really serious injury, besides some broken clavicles. Well.....my card was pulled on the 20th of December. I was always hoping I wouldnt ever be one of the ones posting in this section. Although the knowledge and the postings in here give me motivation when I get down on myself and im laid up.

While out enjoying my other passion which is snowmobiling here in Alaska I had the accident. Ive walked away from nasty obstacles, odd falls, drops, jumps and stuff way larger with my snowmobile and mt bike than what I encountered that snapped my femur. Long story short I thru the sled away in the air after feeling uncomfy how the landing was gonna turn out which I have done a million times before and walked away unscaved.

Upon impacting the ground my right leg stuck in the snow all the way to thigh level, still unclear if I impacted anything under the snow. My left leg didnt go in the snow at all...resulting in a throwing forward of my body and torquing motion to the left of the knee. I knew immediately something was not right.

Immediately after coming to my senses I looked down and noticed my leg was not straight and that is was pointed at 45 degree angle towards my left leg.....I flexed my leg/quad and everything lined up and this is when the severe pain set it. Originally I thought I blew my knee out. Ran into a couple of dilema's and options immediately.

1 -- We were moderately deep in the backcountry, a good 30 minute ride to the vehicle and a fair amount of terrain/altitude to safety, paramedics would of had a hard time getting in there with a team on snowmobiles with their gear. Let alone getting me out on a mobile sled stretcher.

2-- There was no cell service, so we would of had to send someone out to where they could get service then call then wait, which I would probably go hypothermic and lose what adrenaline and motivation I did have.

3-- Man up and ride it out.

With some help of some friends we stabilized the injury with a shovel, avalanche probes and a alot of duct tape, they lifted me onto the sled and I rode it out thru some grueling pain. 3 hours after the injury I arrived at the ER.

I ended up fracturing the larger ball off the femur. Had a 3 hour surgery to install 5 screws. No ACL or PCL damage was evident which the doctor was amazed after I told him how the knee was displaced....some small ligament stretching on the tibia from the displacement. The doc said this is a pretty serious injury, but it is recoverable and will take alot of hard work and strict rehab.

Here are some xray shots pre and post and leg surgery pics. 23 staples in all, 5 screws. Any pointers for rehab would be helpful. I know there is alot of knowledge in the forum from just reading. My knee brace is in a 10-70 degree range. I have a CPM machine which I spend 6-8 hours a day in. # 1 concern with this injury is losing movement in the knee so rehad and PT was started right away

December 29th, swelling is way down

Sorry for the extra long post.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Wow, are you lucky. I learned in a couple classes that femur injuries first are extremely hard to make happen. The femur is simply strong and usually if a person's femur is broken, emergency practioners are going to have a lot of other issues to contend with. Had you broken it across over the Diaphysis, I would not have wanted to be in your shoes.

Glad to see you made it out. I can't imagine the pain in the stabilization.

Here's to a good recovery!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
Wow, are you lucky. I learned in a couple classes that femur injuries first are extremely hard to make happen. The femur is simply strong and usually if a person's femur is broken, emergency practioners are going to have a lot of other issues to contend with. Had you broken it across over the Diaphysis, I would not have wanted to be in your shoes.

Glad to see you made it out. I can't imagine the pain in the stabilization.

Here's to a good recovery!
The wierd part about it I dont remember a crazy impact although the doc said it was most likely caused by one along with the other forces involved. The pain was by far the worse I have ever had. I got dizzy a couple of time, but fought ofF the urge to pass out after controlling my breathiing.

1st issue they wanted to check was bloodflow so an angiogram was done on my right leg to determine if any arteries were caught up in the trauma. That was good.

All I can do is hope for the best, I have good movement and my 1st follow up appointment was yesterday, he said everything seems to be good and rigid and inline. The section of the femur that I broke holds 60% of your bodyweight on each leg of course....so I will probably never be able to ride VERY aggressive anymore.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I wouldn't say that, unless the docs think that's the case. Generally, a bone, like a weld, when it heals, will be stronger there than the surrounding bone. It can stand to reason with proper healing, proper physical activity to build it back up, and giving it the proper time, you'll do ok. It's really up to the docs that know what it feels like, but I wouldn't give up.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
I wouldn't say that, unless the docs think that's the case. Generally, a bone, like a weld, when it heals, will be stronger there than the surrounding bone. It can stand to reason with proper healing, proper physical activity to build it back up, and giving it the proper time, you'll do ok. It's really up to the docs that know what it feels like, but I wouldn't give up.
From what the doc told me his major concern was the knee itself, he said the toughest part will be getting full range of motion back and keeping it in the knee hince why I am not in a cast, but a knee brace with a 0-90 degree flex range.

He said if all else fails, they can do another surgery and install a molded plate that will incircle the lower part of the femur and the break.

Im far from giving up, not even in my head, but the demons will be in the future when I encounter an obstacle. Just alot to take in mentally, never been hurt this bad, but what doesnt kill us, makes us stronger.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'll trade you!

Dec 7th, I high sided at about 10 mph while clipped in, landed on a tree root. ( Like you I've walked away from many things over the last 20 years or so while racing Moto and ridding MTBs in dangerous places at high speeds, that I probably should have been able to)

My femur main break (of the 4 total) is two inches below my hip.
Doc said today it's looking great, I'm using a walker and putting
as much weight as possible on the leg, also doing rehab work three times a day,

Doc advised I may be alble to walk with a cane in 3 or 4 weeks and to expect 7 to 9 months before I have 90-95% stength and function back.

The good news is that because of how bad my breaks were, I could have bled out, while waiting for the rescue squad, but I'm here.

I now have enough ti parts for a long seatpost ( in middle of femur, from hip to knee and from femur into hip joint, plus what looks like a radiator clamp around the femur at the largest break)

( And some more in the right arm from 2007)

My femur was turned our 55 degrees, but Doc says it looks good now.

Good luck with your recovery...

I look forward to walking again and late this year getting back into the woods,

·
Registered
308 Posts
mine broke half an inch below the hip. Thanx to the crew at Stanford I was pinned together and pedalling to work less than 2 weeks later. Talk about service, I got Doc Weiss in the ER and 6 months later the whole thing was but a memory. I admit it took years to let go and pedal as hard DH as before though

Red and nojo I send you the healing vibe and hope you can dig deep again real soon.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a small update to my injury in late december.

Bad news....Still on crutches, will be for another 2 months, so 4 months total on crutches. This isnt a bad thing, since its alaska, and its still winter. Im on crutches still due to the joint side of the femur is healing since its was impacted and soft after the trauma, the bone is still healing some.

Good news....Im partial weight bearing, 25lbs Feb-March. March - April I go to 50lbs, May I come off crutches.

I have 108 degrees of flexion (bend) in my knee, had the possibility of loosing it all due to the break location, and my leg is at zero degrees extension which means I wont have a limp.

Best news of all.

I RODE 1 MILE IN 10 MINUTES ON A STATIONARY BIKE today at an average pace of 56rpm in relatively no pain!!! This was a huge lift off my chest after going thru 2 months of utter hell trying to get where I could pedal. The past 3 weeks I couldnt make a complete circle cause the knee didnt have enough range of motion yet.

So this week was a good one, time for more torture. I will keep you guys updated.

Knee is still very tight, but my range of motion and strength is improving slowly.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Keep it up man. That trainer will provide loads of silent encouragement in the form of increased mobility, decreased pain, and all around general feeling of becoming normal again. I'm at 6 months out from a bad ankle break and the trainer is key during rehab.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bad andy said:
Keep it up man. That trainer will provide loads of silent encouragement in the form of increased mobility, decreased pain, and all around general feeling of becoming normal again. I'm at 6 months out from a bad ankle break and the trainer is key during rehab.
Thanks, and good luck with your recovery as well.

Ive made some nice gains in the last week or so, pedaling at 75rpm now, and levels 9-11 on a lift fitness stationary which is a huge boost also.

Actually started to order parts for the bike again, winter is long here in Alaska which is the offseason. Trying to shed some weight off this pig.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Small update.....Close to 3 months after, and im still on crutches till the end of May......

Got back on the bike today!!!!!, and rode around the block today, trails are still snow covered but the streets are clear here in Alaska. Its been an uphill battle with the range of motion and getting enough to pedal.

On another note, I shedded about 2-3lbs off the bike over the winter with a different crank, pedal/tire/rear shock combo. Even with my right leg broke and all the muscle gone it feels a hell of alot lighter, need to get it on the scales, hoping to see 32ish for a 6" travel bike.

·
Registered
314 Posts
April update (from broken femur Dec 7th)

Walking without a cane sometimes now, still have some pain in the area of the hipjoint and a lot of pain in my knee.
(knee was not injured, yet it feels like it was)

Expect to be walking close to normal by the end of this month.

Hope to be back in the woods in June ( slow as hell probably)

PS... Make sure you do some laying ( no, a lot) side laterals, the erector muscle got very week, Doc says that's why I still have pain.
Could not do any of those a month ago, now doing 30 reps with 10 lb ankle weights for 4 sets. It's helped my walking.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well close to 6 months now post injury...

.I had my 1st official ride in the mountains over the weekend. Did it feel good to get out. Leg is sorta weak, lost alot of muscle, not really an issue until you go to standup in the crazy DH sections or take some off camber stuff. Real tense on the bike....fighting the bike alot, hopefully it will come back to me and I will loosen up and start flowing with the trail a little better.

Its good to be back out on the bike though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
7 the month update on the road back from fractured femur.

Started riding first weekend of June, now have about 80 miles of off road fun again. Just doing flat fast, and bumpy tight trails.

Speed is about 90 % of what it was prior to the break.

I'm about an 8 on the walking scale, more pain walking than on the bike.

Even in 98 degree Florida heat, it's good to be back, Doc says will be just about a full year to 100%, I'm looking forward to December,

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Smalll update....

8 month point from injury, all the has been out for 3 months now. I have full range of motion. I can honestly say my cardio is better now than it ever has been. Strength and definition of the right quad is still lacking, but I manage.

I finally was able to jump the bike on some small rollers, and getting comfy with being in the air again. Damn it feels good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.