Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

I have about 35-40 miles on a new pair of Eggbeater C's, and I managed to completely shear-off one of the outer wings without beating the hell out of them. I want to expedite getting a replacement and am wondering, for those of you who have dealt with the exchange process, should I contact Performance from whom I mail-ordered them from, or CB? If I went the Perfomance route, would I be able to take them into a local Performance shop for the exchange even if they were bought online? I should note that I may not have the receipt any longer.

Also, can anyone confirm if the eggbeater SL wings, which are made of stainless steel, are any more durable than the carbon steel wings on the C model? My suspicions are "yes".

Thanks in advance,

-pete

·
Registered
703 Posts
Send them to CB, they will take care of you. The SL pedal is much stronger. The wings on the chrome model are welded on and often fail at the weld. The SL model is all one piece and holds up much better. The SL also has much smoother clip-in and release.

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tedsti said:
Send them to CB, they will take care of you. The SL pedal is much stronger. The wings on the chrome model are welded on and often fail at the weld. The SL model is all one piece and holds up much better. The SL also has much smoother clip-in and release.
That's what I expected, thanks tedsti for the info. I think in that case I'll go ahead and buy a pair of SLs now and when I get the exchanged C's, move them over to my cyclocross (who sees no rock-strikes) which will complete the SPD phase-out on all my bikes anyway. One less pair of shoes... ;)

-pete

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,570 Posts
What!? People on this website told me that crank brother's pedals never break!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Jayem said:
What!? People on this website told me that crank brother's pedals never break!
Ha, I broke my C's first ride right at the weld. POS. The bike shop I bought them at ( attached to a new bike ) replaced them on the spot. Recently broke a 2 Ti Candy SL, hit a rock and pulled that sucker right through the bearings and almost off the spindle.

·
Registered
118 Posts
loydfl said:
Ha, I broke my C's first ride right at the weld. POS. The bike shop I bought them at ( attached to a new bike ) replaced them on the spot. Recently broke a 2 Ti Candy SL, hit a rock and pulled that sucker right through the bearings and almost off the spindle.
I'm not trying to be critical, but just curious as to why hitting a pedal with a rock would make the pedal a POS? I'm relatively new to mtbiking, so I try to be very aware of my crank positioning whenever I'm in a technical situation where I might hang a tree or rock. Aren't you concerned about snagging and breaking a foot?

·
Registered
96 Posts
RJend said:
I'm not trying to be critical, but just curious as to why hitting a pedal with a rock would make the pedal a POS? I'm relatively new to mtbiking, so I try to be very aware of my crank positioning whenever I'm in a technical situation where I might hang a tree or rock. Aren't you concerned about snagging and breaking a foot?
Broken foot??? You should take a look at a pair of eggbeaters, some fairly delicate parts hang down, and if you ride rocky and root covered trails you are bound to bottom a pedal out now and then. Couple that with a little bit of forward momentum and voila, potential breakage is on the horizon. One last contributing factor in my case is that I ride a cannondale rush, which does have a lower bb than most bikes.

That all being the case, the stock eggbeaters that came with the rush have a lower quality steel spring.... which broke, contributing factor being first ride on the Rush. The candy 2 Ti's that I broke, was purely a fluke. I am pretty certain I would have screwed up any pedal that I had on the bike, though it is likely I would not have completely trashed a time or shimano pedal. I still think eggbeaters are great, you just have to be a bit more sensitive about things and be prepared for more instances of sh*t happening and causing breakage.
If I do, then I will be time bound.

In no case did my foot come off the pedal nor did I wipe out. These were both bottom of the pedal strikes, the last one just had a lateral component to it.

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
RJend said:
I try not to strike things either, but it will happen especially in really technical situations when you don't want to dab for the sake of your pedals. The "C" versions of the CB pedals could be considered by some to be POS, because of the way the spring retainer is designed: One of the four wings on the pedal has connections to the shaft which are only half as thick as it would be on the other three wings, because they use the base of that wing to retain the spring. This recess signifigantly weakens the wing and if you happen to knock it, off it comes. I think I have a pic somehwere comparing the design of the "C" models versus the "SL" models.

EDIT: I said two wings were interrupted but I meant only one was. Fixed.

-pete

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
If you had a Performance store nearby I would say take them back just for convinience sake. Otherwise, Crank Bros will take care of it just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.