Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I bought an ibex ignition super in Feburary, been loving it. Recently though I cased a jump and snapped the derailleur hanger. We took it to the bike shop. They called later and said they couldn't get in touch with Ibex to get the hanger, they also told us the derailleur was broken, but they had one in the shop. They told we could try and order it ourselves. Well we got the hanger in a couple days and took it to the shop. When we drove back to pick the bike up they said the hub broken/worn out on the inside, the small chain ring is bent and they don't know what brand the hub is. So they're gonna take the hub off and try to match it up to something. If they cant find it they're gonna order an entire rear wheel.

Im kinda annoyed. They've had the bike for a week or more and they've just now told us about the hub and chain ring. My mom also says shes thinks the bike shop isn't too happy with out choice of not buying from them.

Im pretty sure the small chain ring was bent since we got it as when i took it out of the box it was caught between the chain ring and the frame. It worked fine though unless it fell between the chain ring and frame. Im not sure about the hub. I dont think they need to replace the entire wheel if they cant find the manufactuer of it. Im not sure if it needs to be replaced either, they moved the pedals backwards and the hub wouldnt rotate and the chain would got bunched up. Its done that a couple times when i was riding, but not all the time.

Would any of this be under warrenty? Could we just take the bike back and order a new chainring and ignore the hub? They've fixed the derailleur. Im not to good with mountain bikes, we can do most stuff with bmx's. we could probably replace the chain ring ourselves. Not sure what to do, could use some advice.

Also, the ibex site the hub is a Formula Disk. Ive never heard of formula...is it just a no name brand or could the bike shop order a piece from them or ibex to fix the hub?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Formula makes a lot of mountain bike hubs (even under other bike company's names) and the parts should be available to the bike shop from any parts distributor. The hub should be labeled somewhere with the brand or at least some identification. Tell them to look closer

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
i think your bike shop is playing games with you. If you call Ibex up, some WILL answer. You'll get taken cared of immedietely... As for the formula hubs. Dont think you can break thsoe easily either. Are they still engaging? Any bearing play? If not than you're good. Hell, Formula made the hubs for my Azonic Outlaws. They're almost indestructable...

The small chain ring is hard to bend. It's usually made of steel and you'll bend the big ones before you do the small ones... I would take your bike back from the LBS and look over it yourself. Wonder if they intentionally damaged your bike... hmmmmmmmm

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
The derailleur hanger is not magical I have a Haro & Versus both use the same style hanger as the Ibex.

You should ask them to show you why the derailleur is broken unless the cage holding the rollers is bent it's not easy to break a derailleur.

The chain was between the granny gear & BB during shipping because the box is getting tossed around with no load, very common. As for it dropping when riding on occasion thats an adjustment issue with the front derailleur. Chain dropping when back pedaling can be gummed up rear derailleur rollers not allowing the backward rotation to move free or if cross chaining the drive line is off and the chain will come off. There are ratchet pawls in the rear hub to rotate freely that should be replaceable. http://www.formulahubs.com/

If you can work on BMX bikes you can handle MTB just there are many special tools to buy but at least you'll be ready next time.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/

:band:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright. Thanks for the advice. If the bike shop says I need a new wheel I'll ask my mom to just get the bike back. If its still not working good we'll just take it somewhere else. Shame being under 18 and having to work though your mom and dad for this kinda stuff. =/

Thanks for the advice. Sorry for grammar and spelling mistakes in my first post. Was kinda annoyed and in a hurry.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Riavyn said:
Alright. Thanks for the advice. If the bike shop says I need a new wheel I'll ask my mom to just get the bike back. If its still not working good we'll just take it somewhere else. Shame being under 18 and having to work though your mom and dad for this kinda stuff. =/

Thanks for the advice. Sorry for grammar and spelling mistakes in my first post. Was kinda annoyed and in a hurry.
This is why some of us have kids, to experience what we put our parents through. :D

Agree with Jake Pay also this is a forum not a spellin test. :rockon:

·
Registered
76 Posts
the chain bunching when you backpedal is probably a result of a broken "freehub" not the whole hub assembly, and this should be relatively cheep to repair, like $30 max do not let them talk you into buying a whole new rear wheel for a damaged freehub, because you can still ride with a damaged one, and it could just be a sticky derailleur or a number of other things. also post picture of the old derailleur when they finish with your bike (normally bike shops give you back components that they take off your bike) im interested to know how you broke it. . . .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I'm satisfied. I got a good "I told ya so" in for the day. I asked my mom if she could pick my bike up and she said it wasn't ready, and I said it was still ridable. She said she wouldn't because the guys at the shop had plenty of experience and seemed pretty sure it was broken. 20 minutes later they called and said they had screwed up, the hub was fine and we could pick it up =P

Thanks for all the advice. Guess Its time to get better at my MTB maintenance skills.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Riavyn said:
Well, I'm satisfied. I got a good "I told ya so" in for the day. I asked my mom if she could pick my bike up and she said it wasn't ready, and I said it was still ridable. She said she wouldn't because the guys at the shop had plenty of experience and seemed pretty sure it was broken. 20 minutes later they called and said they had screwed up, the hub was fine and we could pick it up =P

Thanks for all the advice. Guess Its time to get better at my MTB maintenance skills.
Glad everything worked out ... You gotta watch out for stuff/people sometimes....sad

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.