Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys.

I ran into a problem while changing the oil in my Fox F29. Everything went well until I got to the right (damper side) 'foot nut'. I was torquing it down to the 50 in/lb Fox specifies but the threaded rod snapped in half around 45 in/lb. Seems to me there must have been some sort of defect in the rod for this to happen.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I think I'm going to go to the lbs I got the bike from and see if they can do anything to help me out. Hopefully I don't get stuck paying for a new damping assembly. :madman:

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody?

It would be nice to have some more info about this before I go to the LBS tomorrow.

Thanks.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Treybiker said:
Call Fox first. The shop may not have someone experienced with the Fox internals, and once they hear that you touched your bike with a tool, they may say "pay up sucka"!
I guess I'll try that, thanks.

I hope that Fox is willing to cover this, as I don't feel all that confident that the shop is gonna help me out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This happens from time to time. You'll need a new base valve assembly. I'd guess it's probably a $40 or $50 part.

Don't worry so much about the specific torque on the foot nut when you install the new one just make sure that you use a fresh crush washer and crush it around 50% of its height or so.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to update this.

I ended up taking this back to the shop. They said they would take care of it.

I guess they decided they didn't want to deal with it either and sent it to Fox. Fox ended up not covering it and charged them something like 250.00.

Anyway, kudos to Race Pace bikes for taking care of me and not passing the cost on to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.