Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys.
Ive just broken my collarbone and its a severe break with 5cm overlap and 1 bone almost poking thru the skin, Im just enquiring as to weather anyone else may have had corrective surgery and if so which path they took. plate n screws or pins.

Just wondering how the recovery has gone including movement etc. and details on the surgery

Hopefully ill be back out there soon enjoying my new found hobby.

Toby

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Try to avoid surgery, if at all possible. You will not believe how hard your body tries to re-align your seperated bones back together again. Plenty of bed rest encourages this to happen. Why? Because when you are lying down- the muscles and tendons attached to the shoulder and clavicle(collarbone) are relaxed, and will NATURALLY unstretch, bringing the seperated bones back to proper alignment. What does this mean? SLEEP!!! I logged 10-15hours of sleep/day for 3-4 weeks, and my 3cm displaced collarbone joined perfectly back together, in one month!!! Even the doctor said that was amazing. Also, take 2000mg of calcium and 400mg Vitamin D per day, to promote stronger bone regrowth. Yeah, it sux sleeping that much......but it was worth it- because I was riding again, in 7 weeks.

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
As a verteran of 13 broken bones all at different times, I only had surgery once. I have a few odd lumps and so on.

But for you, 5cm, do the surgery, it's not the procedure its the doc, find out which doc has the best reputation, the bone sits right there like 1/8" below the skin, little 60 minute procedure.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
This is one you shouldn't try to decide by advice on the internet. You are going to have to make sure you trust your doc on surgery v. no surgery and if so then what type. I'd also go to Medline Plus and to the links it provides for useful internet advice--but again even though you can trust that info it still won't provide an answer to your particular scenario. Whether pins or plates are used primarily depends on the nature of the break. It will also depend to some extent on the judgment and skill of the doctor and how he or she can best get it aligned.

One caution--if your doc says you need surgery, and you are considering not having it, ask him or her about the risks of not doing so. There are important arteries and nerves in some areas around the collar bone and sometimes breaks can be dangerous (even though most collarbones that are broken do heal on their own without surgery).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just got back from ortho and he immediately said surgery as its overlapped and displaced by 5cm or so.
another opinion on thursday but he said may as well pack your bags as you will be going in for surgery.
Plate and pins here we come and no hip graft as the break is so fresh.
Now i just hope all goes well. keep you posted.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Good luck

If this is your first surgery---when you get to the hospital, just let go. It's going to happen so don't worry once you're going into pre-op.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah 1st time surgery so a little nervous especially as ill be able to watch them do the op by the sounds of it. Just nerve block and im sure a little laughing gas or something.
After heaps of research im quite happy with what plate theyre using. its the
LC-DCP plate, Lets just hope thety put it back together nicely and physio goes well.

Anyone else used this plate??

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had broke a collar bone in "99. That time it healed OK, bit of an overlap, but OK. Then in 2006 I broke the same collar bone. During a check up 8 weeks later I told the doctor the bone felt funny (not as in funny Ha Ha). I felt movement in the area and after 8 weeks it should have been fine. They took x-rays and he said I could have surgery if I wanted. The shoulder worked fine. My wife said I healed better this time than the first. I had far greater arm movement at 8 weeks than the first time. So I said I'd wait and see if it will get better as time goes on. I was OK'd to go biking, so out I go. this was Sept. and I did not want to miss the fall riding. By December it was still feeling like a lose trailer hitch when I would do small drop offs. In mid Dec I made the appointment for the surgery in January. The surgery was done in the out patient of the doctor clinic. In by 9:00 out by lunch. No big thing. 2 months later I was out on the trails again. A plate and 8 screws were put in. The
construction is visible in the contour of the skin and I can kiss the major league pitching career good-by.

Wish you good luck with your recovery! Should go fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.