Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I took a spill last night, and my brake lever separated from the cable. The lever remained on the bike. I have Hope Mini's with Dangerboy levers. It looks like they were meant to break away, and that I might be able to re-attach them. I have not had a chance to really check it out yet, so I thought I would post here for input. Is this an easy fix? What should I do?

Thanks for any input,

M.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Your brakes don't have cables. What has come away? The lever blade from the lever body? You need to be more precise with your description, or provide pictures.

Bicycle part Font Auto part Metal Pipe

The lever blade is not meant to break off, so if it's that which has happened, then you've snapped something; either the lever body or the lever bolt.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

Thanks for posting.

I broke the adjuster / barrel pin. (Or more accurately, I seemed to have disconnected it.) The lever and lever bolt are perfect. When I look at the barrel pin, there appears to be a ball on the end of it. It looks like I could re-attach it somehow. Is that possible? Is it meant to do this?

Thanks again Steve,

M.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
It's unlikely that you've broken anything, although you're going to have to get into the assembly to make sure. Here's a complete guide for stripping and rebuilding your lever assembly - it's a simple job made even easier for you by just having to take it apart as far as the main piston. Be prepared to have to bleed the brake afterwards.

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
Just in case!

MBN said:
Steve,

Thank you very much. This is very helpful.

Thanks again,

M.
If you do need parts your LBS should be able to get them for you, if they can't then you can contact Hope distribution directly at 936-756-5004 and their website is www.hopetechusa.com. They are in Texas and they are very nice people to deal with and talk to, they even have Techs that you can talk to also if you need them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
MBS describes exactly what happened with my own Shimano M575 lever after a recent crash.

Guess I will be taking a trip to the shop as soon as I can pick up the bike again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts