Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just broke the 2nd pivot bolt in about 2 months on my 4X. The frame is about 2 years old, and gets ridden a lot and ridden hard. Not upset or anything, just curious if others had the same problem...

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
Pivot axle or bolt? Upper or lower link? If you have the Ti plates instead of the solid upper link, I'd consider ordering the solid link from Santa Cruz. The Ti plates aren't as rigid as the solid link and stress from the flex could be causing you to break bolts/axles.

The solid upper link cost me about $30 earlier this year.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
The Monarch looks like a decent design, but there are a couple of lengthy threads over on the suspension forum about some problems with this shock. Might be worth a read. I still think an aggessive design like the 4X might benefit from a piggyback shock where aggressive riding could be better controlled by the additional tuning elements in most piggyback shocks.

·
Registered
879 Posts
TNC said:
The Monarch looks like a decent design, but there are a couple of lengthy threads over on the suspension forum about some problems with this shock. Might be worth a read. I still think an aggessive design like the 4X might benefit from a piggyback shock where aggressive riding could be better controlled by the additional tuning elements in most piggyback shocks.
I'm still tempted to stick a coil on my 4x. Just for the plushness.

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
I have a Vanilla RC at Push right now for my Blur 4x. I'm currently running a Push'd Float AVA. I like the Float AVA a lot, but I got a deal on the Vanilla and couldn't resist.

The Vanilla will be the 4th shock for my B4x (5th air, Roco Air R, Float AVA, Vanilla).

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I have a PUSH'd Vanilla RC with the Race System as a backup for my Nomad. They do good things with that shock. If the Evolver ISX-6 wasnt such a good match for my Nomad, I'd be happy to run that RC all the time. That shock is an entirely different animal when PUSH gets through with it.

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
I consulted with Push before pulling the trigger on the shock and they said that the shock would be a great match for the bike and recommended a 500lb spring for me (185lbs w/o gear).

I got the "Factory Race System Vanilla RC + Bottoming System" for mine. I can't wait to try it.

I'll probably get my Pike Push'd at the end of the year. That'll make 3 Push'd shocks (DHX-C on my VPX) and a Push'd fork. Do they sell "Push Whore" T-Shirts?

·
Registered
879 Posts
BCBlur said:
Pivot axle or bolt? Upper or lower link? If you have the Ti plates instead of the solid upper link, I'd consider ordering the solid link from Santa Cruz. The Ti plates aren't as rigid as the solid link and stress from the flex could be causing you to break bolts/axles.

The solid upper link cost me about $30 earlier this year.
Jusr to add to this - got my solid link yesterday, and fitted it. It looks right, in a way that the ti lionsk never did. Much more solid design, and hopefully the end of all my bearing and axle problems.

Santa Cruz made a mistake ever speccing the ti links on the 4x.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.