Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 week ago I brought my '09 Remedy 9 frame into the Boulder, Colorado Trek Store, Elevation Cycles, with a crack in the top tube / seat tube junction.

Today I was given 2 choices.

1. A kluged together Slash frame out of whatever parts can be found, I was told "it will be mismatched". I was not told all parts would be from the same year even. I would have to pay for the shock.

2. $1100 credit toward the retail purchase of a complete bike at full retail price. It's a $2000 frame.

Let's just say I'm more than a little bit upset and already considering small claims court. :madmax:

For those considering Trek, caveat emptor. I am more than a little bit diappointed in Trek right now.

I will update this thread with the result of this warranty claim.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE:

-I received a counter offer for a frame that will be assembled from same-year parts and repainted so it isn't mismatched... throw in shock instead of making me purchase the shock since it won't be a normal factory frame.

This is acceptable, I would be ok with this solution.

I also threw out the possibility of a $2k discount on a '14 Slash 9 complete bike. It would be a nice upgrade and I can sell the drivetrain and fork off the Slash 9 for good money... (I had full XX1 and a new-ish Lyric on my Remedy).

I think either would be a fair outcome. The '14 will cost money but will be a nicer bike. A Slash frame is a good replacement and I can take having a aftermarket paint job, especially when they are willing to throw in the shock.

I am happy Trek was willing to listen to my issues with their initial offer and come back with a fair solution. I really like Trek bikes, I also own a Session 88.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Final Update:

I took home a 2014 Slash 9 today, the deal was fair and I am satisfied.

I've just pedaled the bike around, but I'm pretty sure this is going to be a massive upgrade over my '09 Remedy 9.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts