Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

****************************************************************************************
9/28/06 - Final Update - Rocky Mountain Bikes honored their warranty
****************************************************************************************

RMB has honored their warranty. This has been resolved in a VERY positive manner. I think there has been MORE than enough discussion about this in both agreement and disagrement. Thank you all for your opinions, even those I don't agree with.

All the best to you all and indeed, Enjoy the Ride!

cocamoxb

*****************************************************************************************

Well, I've owned it for one week and one day. Got it on 9/13 and it broke 9/22. I didn't jump high, only about 2 ft max. The trail was a single track in a medow and it wasn't as steep as my driveway. I am 245lbs with out gear. I've ridden far more difficult trails with it. Perhaps it was failing and finally broke.

It broke right where the top tube meets the seat tube. I hope RMB's warranty is as good as people say it is. I used my cell phone for the pics. They aren't great but they show the damage. So much for riding for a while....

Top view

Close up

Side view

***********************************************************************************
9/26/06 EDIT: this is a cut & paste from my reply at the end to summarize the outcome.
***********************************************************************************

Subject: Rocky Mountain Warranty denied - summary
I spoke with Rob and it would appear that Rocky Mountain's policies pertaining to the sticker placed on the back of the seat post mandate that my warranty claim be denied.

My opinion: Consumers can be decieved by the markings on the seat post and my warranty should be honored.

RMB's policy: The RMB applied sticker on the back of the seat post that negate the Easton markings cause for the warranty claim to be denied.

I was informed that RM does not hold LBSs responsible for total explaination of every nuance, but it is expected. In light of this RMB "100mm minimum insertion" sticker and the LBSs being expected to explain that the consumer should measure 100mm at the time of insertion, my Rocky Mountain warranty claim has been denied and this policy is not negotialble in any situation.

RMB has informed me that they will provide a cost amount for a "crash replacement" front triangle to my LBS so that they can sell it to me. I have been informed that RMB will provide the LBS that price in about two days time.

It was also eluded to that Rocky Mountain folks have read or are reading this forum thread. It would also seem that they disagree with me.

I feel cheated. I won't ever buy from RMB again. I will advise people I meet to also not buy from RMB. I will share my experience and opinion in as many arenas as I am able.

I hope you all have great rides and enjoy the trails.

All the best.

-cocamoxb

***********************************************************************************************
9/27/2006 EDIT: Clarification
***********************************************************************************************

I would like to make myself VERY clear to everyone.

I am in no way saying that Rocky Mountain Bike company makes bad bicycles.

:nono:
I am of quite the opposite opinion. Rocky Mountain Bikes are fantastic bikes.

My complaint is that I have a VERY different opinion of how this particular warranty issue should have been handled. I also said I would recommend others not purchace Rocky Mountain bikes based on my experience.

I can't compare RMB to Turner, Yeti, or any other equally priced manufacturer. I can only make references to my poor warranty experience.

·
LBS Manager
1,908 Posts
JoeDesperado said:
looks like your seatpost wasn't long enough, I don't think RM has to cover it! your seatpost should always go down beneath the connection of upper tube & seat tube, otherwise the frame just brakes right there, like your did...anyway, good luck!
He said it was the stock post and if you look closly in the pics you can see that it was inserted past the minimum limit marker. I think they will cover it based on that alone.
They do have one of the best warrenties in the buisness.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Definitely wasn't the rider's fault, although I agree. I'e get a longer post for the new frame. I am sure Rocky will cover it though. Let us know how ya make out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. I will let you know the outcome. I will be getting a longer seat post. Also, the stock seat post does have a "minimum insert" length which I was well within. So it should be covered.

Thanks again all.

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
692 Posts
Johnny Hair Boy said:
He said it was the stock post and if you look closly in the pics you can see that it was inserted past the minimum limit marker. I think they will cover it based on that alone.
They do have one of the best warrenties in the buisness.
The marking at the seatpost is the maximum the seatpost can take.
It hasn't to do anything with the frame.
It is not Easton's or RMB's fault that someone runs with a to short post.
Anyway I think the frame could use a brace between toptube and seattube like many others do like Ellsworth,Turner,Ventana to name a few.
Good luck.

Later
RaD

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
while you're at it, have RMB give you longer post.
If that's the one that came with the bike, they spec'd too short a post.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
JoeDesperado said:
sure, but it's the LBS who knows the rider's height - so if he's too tall for the seatpost, they have to change it!
agreed, but his post wasn't past the minimum insertion line, so according to RMB, all should be OK.
Judging by the failure, I would say RMB should have spec'd a longer post.

To the OP, good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RMB cust support

Spoke to Rob @ RMB cust support. He was way nice. He said there was another guy in MASS somewhere that had the same issue. I sent him the pics I took on the trail, at his request. He said I should take the complete bike to the LBS that services RMBs and to have them process the warranty claim. I spoke to my LBS and they are going to take care of all the communications with RMB.

All seems about the exact process on the bikes.com web site. I'll post more when I know it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
RaD said:
The marking at the seatpost is the maximum the seatpost can take.
It hasn't to do anything with the frame.
It is not Easton's or RMB's fault that someone runs with a to short post.
Anyway I think the frame could use a brace between toptube and seattube like many others do like Ellsworth,Turner,Ventana to name a few.
Good luck.

Later
RaD
You are right that it's not Eastons fault. But Rocky Mountain speced the bike with that post and were aware or should have been aware of the minium insert marker not leaving enough post in the frame. If it was an after market post (which it was not) I could see your point but not with a stock post inserted well past the minimum insert marker.

It dosn't matter either way rocky mountain will look after this guy and hook him up with a new frame, their customer service is great.

·
Loser
5,535 Posts
I dunno...

While I sincerely hope the OP gets a new frame, its clear to me why that frame broke - not enough seat post in the frame. I hope no one looks at this post and says, "RM frames break", that would be the wrong conclusion. A seat post should always be inserted beyond the ST/TT junction.

Who is to blame for not having enough seat post in? I guess the LBS to some degree, but I think the owner of the bike has a responsibility to understand the limits of the frame (and seat post). Who knows how far the post was in the frame when it left the shop? I've seen plenty of people riding XC with their seats a lot further down than I ride. At a minimum the LBS should have seen the potential for the rider to put the seat up that high and made sure he understood how far the post could safely go.

I'd love to hear the end to this story - please keep us posted.

I broke a Titus frame, a bit further down, it broke around the weld holding the TT and ST together. I had a super long post that cleared the junction by more than an inch. Titus said that I had too much post exposed creating a lot of leverage on that junction. They made me a custom frame with a brace for free, so I can't complain about that!

John

·
Banned
4,056 Posts
Jisch said:
While I sincerely hope the OP gets a new frame, its clear to me why that frame broke - not enough seat post in the frame. I hope no one looks at this post and says, "RM frames break", that would be the wrong conclusion. A seat post should always be inserted beyond the ST/TT junction.
No one is arguing that and no one is saying that "RM frames break".

Who is to blame for not having enough seat post in? I guess the LBS to some degree,
WHY? This bike came from RM spec'ed with THAT seatpost. All the high school kid at the bike shop does is shove it in the hole. The LBS has nothing to do with it.

but I think the owner of the bike has a responsibility to understand the limits of the frame (and seat post).
WHY WHY WHY!!!!

Again... the bike was spec'ed with that post. The user did NOT have the post at the end of it's height limit. The owner did NOTHING wrong. He used what RM spec'ed.

Who knows how far the post was in the frame when it left the shop?
What? What are you TALKING ABOUT? Look at the pictures. Look at the seatpost height. WELL WITHIN LIMITS of the post when it broke.

I've seen plenty of people riding XC with their seats a lot further down than I ride. At a minimum the LBS should have seen the potential for the rider to put the seat up that high and made sure he understood how far the post could safely go.
Jesus.... :rolleyes:

Again. LOOK AT THE PICTURES. The post was well within it's height limit.

I'd love to hear the end to this story - please keep us posted.
The end of the story is that the guy is getting a new frame and seatpost. RM spec'ed a seatpost THAT IS TOO SHORT FOR THE BIKE.

I broke a Titus frame, a bit further down, it broke around the weld holding the TT and ST together. I had a super long post that cleared the junction by more than an inch. Titus said that I had too much post exposed creating a lot of leverage on that junction. They made me a custom frame with a brace for free, so I can't complain about that!
That is nice, but has nothing to do with this event.

Pay attention people. Look at the pictures. If that seatpost came on the bike from RM, then it is up to RM to rectify the situation, and I have no doubt they will if it is their spec. It has little to do with the bike shop kids, or the owner of the bike.

If he had purchased his own seatpost that was too short, that would be another thing... but I have not seen that being the case here.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.