Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using a torque wrench on this fastener and I think I "peeled" the wrench away instead of pulling straight back when I was finished torquing.
I assume I should order the fastener for the seat post first, and, once I have it in hand, do I use a small ez out to drill into the bit and back out the fastener?
Or anyone have other advice?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
small chisel or pick.... and hammer, tap that out
or epoxy glue something to it and pull

if it is tool steel it's gonna be hard to drill into it for sure

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was using a torque wrench on this fastener and I think I "peeled" the wrench away instead of pulling straight back when I was finished torquing.
I assume I should order the fastener for the seat post first, and, once I have it in hand, do I use a small ez out to drill into the bit and back out the fastener?

View attachment 1943692
Do not, I repeat, do not attempt to drill the torx bit! It is made of hardened steel alloy and you will likely slip off and damage the post. Take a center punch and firmly tap the broke torx bit to loosen it. Tapping in the direction where there is a gap between the bit and fastener socket. Once loose use a strong magnet to extract.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great ideas. Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. Will try them and def. won't try to use a tap or drill bit. I didn't think about the hardened steel factor. Also super worried since it's so close to the dropper portion of the post. Will try tapping it and using some magnets first, then maybe try to glue something to it and pull.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,711 Posts
i would also lay it on it's side, and hit it with a little bit of penetrating lubricant Before tapping, It won't hurt, and might help a bit.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Great ideas. Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. Will try them and def. won't try to use a tap or drill bit. I didn't think about the hardened steel factor. Also super worried since it's so close to the dropper portion of the post. Will try tapping it and using some magnets first, then maybe try to glue something to it and pull.
A spring loaded center punch is great for tapping (or punching) on a precise spot.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
6,632 Posts
Spring loaded nail set would do the same thing, wider point, and not have to be re-pointed (since they're really drifts anyway). If you happened to have one.

·
Registered
125 Posts

View attachment 1943692
Which torx bit do you have? This way we can be on the look out for sub-standard bits.
As far as removing it, I think you have some space there to drift it out... slowly. I would but the bike on its side against a firm surface, like some wood planks, and then slowly drift the bit counterclockwise. Sometimes, you can also put a drop or two of water, and spot-freeze it with freeze spray or an inverted can-of-air.

·
getting back into it...
210 Posts
If none of the other stuff works...

I would try to pick at it with a small flathead screwdriver that you don't care about (like something that came free with a watch band or eyeglass repair kit). If it all comes out, great, if you can get just a little bit out maybe you can get enough purchase to use some vise grip pliers.

Or honestly wrap the post in a towel so you don't hurt it and give it a couple whacks on the garage floor.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts