Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a little riding my Trek fuel this morning and I took a wrong route and hit a rock or root some how and broke the bracket that mounts the rear derailleur off and bent the derailluer .
Has anyone else even done this ?
Expensive repair ?
Is this something i can upgrade ?

Attachments

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,447 Posts
You need to go to the Trek dealer and get a new hanger (the silver part). It will cost maybe $30. They all tend to be weak and easily bent - it's not something you can upgrade unless you can make your own - the idea is the hanger bends before your derailleur or frame does.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sideknob said:
You need to go to the Trek dealer and get a new hanger (the silver part). It will cost maybe $30. They all tend to be weak and easily bent - it's not something you can upgrade unless you can make your own - the idea is the hanger bends before your derailleur or frame does.
How about upgrading the derailleur if its damaged ? Its a sram sx 5

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Just keep a new derailleur to the same type of shifter you have, i.e. SRAM 1:1 actuation series. If you want to go Shimano you'll need new shifters as well.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
an x9 derailleur would be a worthwhile upgrade imho,however, a big hit like that still has the chance of bending/breaking any derailleur out there, regardless of brand or level.

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Ah, probably not worth it. I upgraded from a Shimano 2008 Alivio to a 2006 Deore LX and I don't feel much of a difference, if any. Maybe there is a bigger difference in SRAMs lineup, but if you got the money to throw at it... UPGRADE!

·
4,447 Posts
If all the other components - chain, cogs, shifters etc are in good order, you may not feel a huge difference in shifting performance by just upgrading the rear mech - the overall shifting performance is a combination of all those factors working together. As with daleksic (an obvious Doctor Who fan....) I've had mid level stuff that felt as good as higher end gear - assuming just the rear mech was different. If you want to upgrade, by all means do - just remember that an expensive derailleur breaks just as easy as a cheap one. :D

·
Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
818 Posts
Sideknob said:
If all the other components - chain, cogs, shifters etc are in good order, you may not feel a huge difference in shifting performance by just upgrading the rear mech - the overall shifting performance is a combination of all those factors working together.
I thought the same as you. In a mistake by my LBS I recently got an XO instead of an X9 (I already have an X9 on another bike). I commented to the guy at the LBS that a $200 derailleur is a waste of money, and that the difference to the X9 would be marginal at best, blah blah. How wrong was I. The titanium return spring is so much stronger that you can notice a really big difference when shifting to smaller cogs. I still think that the XO is not worth more than 2x the price of the X9. But it is significantly better.

·
4,447 Posts
I've got X9 - it changes crisply and never misses a shift. I can't see what spending more than double would achieve, TBH. Apart from bling factor of course... :D

·
Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
818 Posts
You have to try it out to form your own opinion. It's definitely noticeable to me (and I was a non-believer). However, in my opinon it isn't worth the extra money. But since I got it for the price of an X9, all is good :D

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
That looks like the hangar on my 2004 Kona Caldera; when I busted mine like that, I was able to loosen the skewer, then retighten it with the derailleur hanger bit clamped underneath and it actually worked to get me home.

·
2,677 Posts
Sideknob said:
I've got X9 - it changes crisply and never misses a shift. I can't see what spending more than double would achieve, TBH. Apart from bling factor of course... :D
X9 rear der. are the fantastic, its the best rear der on the market.....except for X0 - but who spends that much on a rear der.?

·
4,447 Posts
VTSession said:
X9 rear der. are the fantastic, its the best rear der on the market.....except for X0 - but who spends that much on a rear der.?
I was riding with a pal the other day and he was rolling his new Giant with the flashy new XTR kit - the rear was out of adjustment and he was clicking and clacking his way up most of the hills... :D

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
OT: i upgraded my drivetrain from x.9 to x.0 and the biggest/best difference was in the shifters. god damn, x.0 are crisp.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Assuming the derailluer and shifters, chain and cassette are all decent level, the best improvements I've got on shifting is going to a nicer chain and cassette/chain rings.

But what do I know :D

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
Do you have a 9-speed or 8-speed drive train?

I was trying to count the number of cogs on your cassette--I think I counted 8 cogs but gave up after a couple of tries ;-) If your cassette has 8 cogs, you will have to replace more than your derailleur to upgrade to X-9 (i.e., shifters & cassette minimally, and you chain would be a good idea as well).

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
journey said:
I was trying to count the number of cogs on your cassette--I think I counted 8 cogs but gave up after a couple of tries ;-) If your cassette has 8 cogs, you will have to replace more than your derailleur to upgrade to X-9 (i.e., shifters & cassette minimally, and you chain would be a good idea as well).
if he just replaces the derailluer, he'll be fine. no need to replace shifters and cassette unless your cassette is worn. even then, if you stick with your same shifters and get an 8 speed cassette, then you'll be fine. derailluers are dumb devices -the shifters dictate how many gears ya got. the only thing that matters is the pull ratio, which differs from shimano vs. sram x series.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.