Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a twig got stuck in my derailleur today and completely broke it off the hanger. I'm guessing i'm going to need to buy a new derailleur + hanger, and was thinking about buying new cassette and chain while I'm at it. Below are some pics of the carnage; from them, is there anything else visually damaged that I should replace? besides the plastic protector thing

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
derailleur go boom!:eek:
ditch that little ghey plastic thingie and check the tension on your bent spokes (maybe replace 'em - maybe not) .I don't see any reason to ditch the cassette.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You need a new derailleur hanger that is for sure but I would be just doing a little work to straighten that derailleur and see if it works again without forking out $$$ first but it's hard too tell from the images just how snuffed it is if at all. That plastic thing that stops the chain from jumping off on the cassette don't worry about it or better still take it off and leave it off.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Can't tell from the pictures, but if your lucky the derailleur tab sacrificed itself to save the RD, so try to straighten the cage, or replace just that if you can find one.

The wheel is probably OK, needing minor reallignment, except for the spoke disc, which you don't really need anyway, or get a serious metal one.

The cassette and chain are probably OK, but it's possible that a link was damaged or twisted in which case the chain is toast.

When you put it back together, check the chain for stretch and look for any skipping because of damaged links, If all is good, clean & lube it and you're good to go. If you replace the chain you probably can keep using the cassette, but you won't know until you try.

Your lucky this wasn't a number of years ago before breakaway/replacable derailleur tabs were the norm. Lot's of folks ate the frame back then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.