Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed some creaking/squeaking coming from my bike yesterday while out on a ride. I stopped several times to find the source, thinking that it was somewhere in my pivots or shock. Well the creaking got worse and was driving me crazy so I bailed out of the trails and went home to do a thorough cleaning of my bike.

While tearing my bike apart and cleaning everything up I decided to take apart my whole rear triangle and just clean and lube everything. When I got to the chainstay I found out where the noise was coming from. The support member between the two sides of the chainstay had broken at the weld on the right side so that the I have two pieces instead of one. I took the bike to a local shop today and now I'm waiting to hear back on how much it's gonna cost and when it'll be in.

Anyone ever seen or had this happen before?

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Yep.....

FloridaFish said:
I noticed some creaking/squeaking coming from my bike yesterday while out on a ride. I stopped several times to find the source, thinking that it was somewhere in my pivots or shock. Well the creaking got worse and was driving me crazy so I bailed out of the trails and went home to do a thorough cleaning of my bike.

While tearing my bike apart and cleaning everything up I decided to take apart my whole rear triangle and just clean and lube everything. When I got to the chainstay I found out where the noise was coming from. The support member between the two sides of the chainstay had broken at the weld on the right side so that the I have two pieces instead of one. I took the bike to a local shop today and now I'm waiting to hear back on how much it's gonna cost and when it'll be in.

Anyone ever seen or had this happen before?
FF, do a search on a previous post from me in late June / early July. I found something similar to that this June on my Bear. My shop said he's seen a few of those come through their location. The new chainstay piece was beefed up at the cross-member significantly (must have been a problem) from what it was originally.

Both Ed and Joe were tremendous to work with and totally helped me out. I got my new chainstay within a week and the bike was back together. It was flat black vs. my glossy black, but who cares, it was dirty within 2 rides anyway! Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
EB

·
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like everything worked out well......

I hope everything goes as smooth in my case. I dented my seatstay pretty bad a while back and ended up paying for the replacement, which was totally understandable because I hit a rock and dinged it. I'll have to talk to the shop tomorrow and see what they heard from Kona.

BTW, the bike is an '03 Dawg so it was pretty much a renamed Bear. Thanks for the help.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
That's good news.

Thanks for the update. It seems like they've seen enough of these break that they replace them without too much of an issue. Granted, some may never have an issue, but it seems that with the size of the chainstays, that is the weak link on the frame.

Take a look at that new cross member when you get it and you'll see how it's thicker in width and more square in shape than the older cross member.

Cheers,
EB

·
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ebxtreme said:
The new piece is probably 1.5x thicker in width. Looks like Kona learned a lesson and made them thicker.

EB
I'm trying to remove the chainstay now but I don't have the right allen wrench size to remove my chainring. I tried just taking off the small ring and just unscrewing the chainstay screw like on the non-drivetrain side but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Is there a trick to taking the drivetrain side of the chainstay off? It doesn't seem to be a simple screw like the other side.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
FF, sorry for the delay.

I just got back from 4 days in Whistler of riding and wrenching for my gal's 24 hour team.

Anyway, yes, you'll need to remove your crankset - which requires an 8mm allen key in most cases. Then, I'd screw that screw in a bit and hammer it from the other side. I say that because it isn't just two screws......the other side is a shaft that goes all the way through the pivot.

Basically, I screwed that screw out enough to start tapping the shaft out of the other side and then got the right bolt (using washers as my spacer for the shaft) to tap it out through the other side, but be careful not to mess up your bearings here. Actually, I decided to just put new bearings in since I figure I won't be digging into the pivot again anytime soon so I replaced all of my bearings so I didn't use as much caution as I would've if I intended to keep them.

BTW, if you have a solid Kona dealer near you, they may do this for you fairly cheap if you have the bike all prepped and ready to go for them.

Cheers,
EB

·
Registered
450 Posts
You guys have cursed me! Was just looking at my bike (2003 Dawg Deluxe) the other day and found it was cracked in the exact same spot! Its not all the way through yet, but it looks like EXACTLY the same pattern as the photos posted here.

Sigh....it goes to the shop tomorrow.

·
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Warthog said:
You guys have cursed me! Was just looking at my bike (2003 Dawg Deluxe) the other day and found it was cracked in the exact same spot! Its not all the way through yet, but it looks like EXACTLY the same pattern as the photos posted here.

Sigh....it goes to the shop tomorrow.
Sorry to hear it. The good news is that Kona will take care of it.

Just for an update, The new chainstary is exactly the same as my old one. The support piece isn't any thicker. I'm just happy that the squeaking is finally gone.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Yeah, what FF said.

I'm pretty sure this was the weak spot on an otherwise burly frame, so Kona seems to be stepping up to the plate for any customers that have issues with them. I think most won't but, in cases where they break, they are taking care of the customers.

FF, when I got my chainstay, the dealer said they were sending me a flat black chainstay and it was a newer version because that's all they had in stock. They may have more older versions in now (maybe came in from Asia?) but who knows. Like you said, either way, as long as it's fixed and isn't ultra flexy like mine was before I realized it was broke. :eek:

Cheers,
EB

·
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ebxtreme said:
I'm pretty sure this was the weak spot on an otherwise burly frame, so Kona seems to be stepping up to the plate for any customers that have issues with them. I think most won't but, in cases where they break, they are taking care of the customers.

FF, when I got my chainstay, the dealer said they were sending me a flat black chainstay and it was a newer version because that's all they had in stock. They may have more older versions in now (maybe came in from Asia?) but who knows. Like you said, either way, as long as it's fixed and isn't ultra flexy like mine was before I realized it was broke. :eek:

Cheers,
EB
Did you receive the newer flat black one. I was hoping for a newer one that came in a different color because when I replaced my seatstay it came in a grayish color. Kona just sent the same as original chainstay in the chrome finish for my replacement. Oh well.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Warthog said:
Did they replace the whole swing arm assembly or just the chainstays?
Just the chainstay piece. Everything else was fine.

I did, however replace all of my pivot bearings since I had the bike apart and my bike has a few years of Pacific Northwest riding on them. Head's up to anyone considering this......the main pivot bearings are a b*tch to get out. I'd only do this if you're pivot bearings are crusty or if you have any slop at the main pivot. Otherwise, leave 'em alone. It took some serious hammering to get those suckas out and I made a press out of a long bolt and washers to get the new ones in straight (didn't want to hammer those in).

My Bear's running better than ever now (the pushed rear shock has a lot to do with that though) and it makes me wonder how long that cross-member was broke before I realized it.

EB

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
ebxtreme said:
Just the chainstay piece. Everything else was fine.

I did, however replace all of my pivot bearings since I had the bike apart and my bike has a few years of Pacific Northwest riding on them. Head's up to anyone considering this......the main pivot bearings are a b*tch to get out. I'd only do this if you're pivot bearings are crusty or if you have any slop at the main pivot. Otherwise, leave 'em alone. It took some serious hammering to get those suckas out and I made a press out of a long bolt and washers to get the new ones in straight (didn't want to hammer those in).

My Bear's running better than ever now (the pushed rear shock has a lot to do with that though) and it makes me wonder how long that cross-member was broke before I realized it.

EB
sorry to hear about ur bike man, sometimes kona wont give warranties out for stuff liek that, they didnt for my freind

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm getting my bike back tomorrow. They didn't have any silver swingarms available right now, so they installed a "loner" back swingarm. They said they'll replace it when they get a matching swingarm in, though that could take like 6 weeks. I guess it'll depend on whether I like how the black one looks!

·
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Warthog said:
I'm getting my bike back tomorrow. They didn't have any silver swingarms available right now, so they installed a "loner" back swingarm. They said they'll replace it when they get a matching swingarm in, though that could take like 6 weeks. I guess it'll depend on whether I like how the black one looks!
Damn, I was hoping on getting a different colored chainstay for my replacement. My bike is really mismatched and I kinda like the different colors. When I replaced my seatstay I got a grayish colored one, so I figured I would get a gray or black chainstay for the warranty replacment.

Oh well, good to hear that they're taking care of you and you're bike is rideable again.

·
Registered
450 Posts
FloridaFish said:
Damn, I was hoping on getting a different colored chainstay for my replacement. My bike is really mismatched and I kinda like the different colors. When I replaced my seatstay I got a grayish colored one, so I figured I would get a gray or black chainstay for the warranty replacment.

Oh well, good to hear that they're taking care of you and you're bike is rideable again.
I picked it up today. The chainstay is mostly silver on the right side, and black on the left. Actually, it looks kinda cool, and it has the beefer crossmember (the part that broke). I'd keep it, but it's a used part they gave to me as a loner (it's scratched up). Now I'm thinking that maybe I should just request this type of chain stay rather then the all silver one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.