Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am glad I didn't wait to long after starting to ride to try them out.

what a huge difference in controle acceleration, hill climbing....

I got a pair of Shimano 520s. I didn't practice clipping in and out more than 10 times in my back yard before going out to my local trails.. I didn't come close to falling.... found a new extreemly technical trail, had to walk through a lot of it because a beaver has been hard at work knocking trees down across the trail, but rode much of it.. loaded with roots, and on a slope.. I had to clip out quickly several times.. no problem at all.... I have the tension as light as possible..

I also got a helmet finaly... the closest I came to a crash was was more due to that than the clipless pedals... (and this would have probably been funny as hell if I didn't get out of it).. I was riding down a hill, and a viney branch was hanging low across the trail caught the front of my helmet pulling my head back, and almost pulled my arms off the bar.. I can picture myself clipped to the bike, lying behind it on the ground...

The unclipping motion is already like second nature to me.. I caught my back tire on a root, that was running perpendicular to the trail, and my bike would have went down hard if I didn't unclip real quick and catch myself... I also clicked in going up hills, and a few other tricky spots without much trouble at all... Great pedals...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
timehoc said:
umm..yeah...good call on the helmet. :eekster:
I know I know.... it wasn't too smart riding around without one.... I figured with clipless I wasn't going to take anymore chances.

I was just wondering... I have the pedals set to as loose as they can go, and had no problems clipping out what so ever.. had no real issues with them being losse like unintentionally clipping out..

what are the reasons for tightening the tension up? Was I just lucky not to have unclipped unintentionally with them on the loosest setting? Or are there other benifits to tightening the spring tension?
 

·
I play hard to want
Joined
·
360 Posts
Don't worry...you will fall. And there will be many people around to see it happen. Don't sweat it when you do--it's happened to all of us
 

·
Life is Good
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Offrampmotel said:
Don't worry...you will fall. And there will be many people around to see it happen. Don't sweat it when you do--it's happened to all of us
Ha! It'll happen to you even after you're good with them. I've been riding them for years now and I fall at least once a season because I can't unclip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Judd97 said:
Ha! It'll happen to you even after you're good with them. I've been riding them for years now and I fall at least once a season because I can't unclip.
lol... I know..... I am sure it is a matter of time, but I feel pretty confident with them already.. there were situations where I really had to clip out quick, and I was able to... I am doing ok at getting clipped back in fast even midway up some steep hills.... I am doing a lot better than I thought I would on only my second day using them...

one thing I am noticing is that the muscles I use to pull up are no where near as conditioned, or strong as the muscles I use to push the pedals down. I imagine once I begin training those muscles through using the clipless I will really start seeing the benifits of them... It already makes a big difference..
 

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
Joined
·
369 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
Yep. When it happened to me, it was face first into a mud puddle. With a dozenish people looking on. :lol:
lol when it happened to me it was at a stoplight and i forgot to unclip and i fell sideways off the almost foot tall curb into the street ><
 

·
Life is Good
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
massmang said:
lol... I know..... I am sure it is a matter of time, but I feel pretty confident with them already.. there were situations where I really had to clip out quick, and I was able to... I am doing ok at getting clipped back in fast even midway up some steep hills.... I am doing a lot better than I thought I would on only my second day using them...

one thing I am noticing is that the muscles I use to pull up are no where near as conditioned, or strong as the muscles I use to push the pedals down. I imagine once I begin training those muscles through using the clipless I will really start seeing the benifits of them... It already makes a big difference..
Ha! Whats funny is right after making my post, I went for a ride. Yea, guess what happened?

Steep climb, trying to go all out, can't go anymore... try to unclip....can't... Hello Ground :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Judd97 said:
Ha! Whats funny is right after making my post, I went for a ride. Yea, guess what happened?

Steep climb, trying to go all out, can't go anymore... try to unclip....can't... Hello Ground :thumbsup:
ok 1 spill.... you met your quota for the season... lol (although you said atleast once)

how does it happen? is it because you panic, and pull upward, or do the clips get stuck a little from dirt, or mud making them harder than usual to unclip?
 

·
I play hard to want
Joined
·
360 Posts
massmang said:
how does it happen? is it because you panic, and pull upward, or do the clips get stuck a little from dirt, or mud making them harder than usual to unclip?
If you would have bought the Times like I suggested you wouldn't have to worry about mud :p

Seriously though, for me it usually either the former, or I go down so fast and unexpectedly that I unclip on the way down, but too late to get my leg out. Or a combination of the 2
 

·
local trails rider
Joined
·
12,300 Posts
Unexpected and sudden, usually at low speed.
Like yesterday: There is a slow place on near level ground with some rocks, trees, stumps and bushes that I cannot (with present skills) go over. So I try to snake my way around them. My front wheel got deflected by a rock that has not made me stall before. At low speed I have less stability and the deflecting wheel twisted me and the bike to the ground in the only soft spot between the rocks.

I am not sure I could have avoided falling with flat pedals either.

I think there are still a couple of ground features at that spot that have not yet made me stall...
 

·
Life is Good
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
massmang said:
ok 1 spill.... you met your quota for the season... lol (although you said atleast once)

how does it happen? is it because you panic, and pull upward, or do the clips get stuck a little from dirt, or mud making them harder than usual to unclip?
LIke the others said, its always in the slow sections where you take an unexpected fall due to a deflection of your wheel or something like that. I have trouble with my SPD's in THICK THICK mud, but its never so bad that I can't physically unclip whatsoever, it just takes more work :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Offrampmotel said:
If you would have bought the Times like I suggested you wouldn't have to worry about mud :p
lmao.... I havn't been in a lot of mud yet, but I hear the 520s have improved mud performance over the older design.. in the little mud I have gone through I have noticed it was slightly harder to clip out...

Offrampmotel said:
Seriously though, for me it usually either the former, or I go down so fast and unexpectedly that I unclip on the way down, but too late to get my leg out. Or a combination of the 2
that is what I tought.. it would have to happen real quick... like a front tire washing out on some roots, or around a sharp turn.

I crashed today but I don't think it had anything to do with clipless... it happened going over a jump... I don't have much experience at all with jumping, and for some reason I went sideways in the air, and came down that way, my front tire washed out.. it was on grass in a big open field behind a factory just after getting out of the woods. I landed so sideways that I have grass wedged in between my tire, and rim... landed hard on my right shoulder, and twisted my spine.. arm went numb for 15 to 20 seconds.. I have a nice lump on my forearm, shin, and some grass burn... could have been much worse I guess... I rag dolled(let my body go limp) so I would minimize the damage... and landed on my shoulder instead of putting my arm out to avoid a broken arm or torn rotator cuff...

I unclipped a second after landing the bike, and unclipped before I hit the ground, (intentionally cause I thought I could correct, and save myself from going down) WRONG! which is why I say being clipped in having nothing to do with it. I am pretty sure the same would have happened either clipped in or not..
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,395 Posts
I didn't learn on clipless on a mountain bike, but rather a road bike. Shortly after trying them out on a few rides (with some awkward moments) I felt capable of doing an organized ride in very hilly terrain. Towards the the top of the ride's second major climb, I happened to be talking with a very nice and attractive gal; rounded a corner where the incline increased suddenly (from like 7% grade to 10% grade) and I just came to a standstill and slowly keeling over as I was asking her out...how freaking embarassing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Bikinfoolferlife said:
I didn't learn on clipless on a mountain bike, but rather a road bike. Shortly after trying them out on a few rides (with some awkward moments) I felt capable of doing an organized ride in very hilly terrain. Towards the the top of the ride's second major climb, I happened to be talking with a very nice and attractive gal; rounded a corner where the incline increased suddenly (from like 7% grade to 10% grade) and I just came to a standstill and slowly keeling over as I was asking her out...how freaking embarassing.
lol... did she go out with you atleast?????

I would have started laughing myself, and then came up with something funny to say real quick... like I usualy don't fall this hard for women...lol
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top