Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After an exciting run through some of the jumps at Ray's MKE on Friday, I picked myself up off the landing and found my nice Easton EC70 bar snapped! As best I can remember, this happened as I crashed. The damage to the bar seems to confirm this as well. It broke between the shifter and brake clamps. Sorry, no action shots or video (that I'm aware of). Left the helmet cam at home this trip. It likely would have been damaged as well if I'd had it.

Unlike others here who seem to have had success with Easton's customer service, the best I've been offered is 30% off MSRP on a replacement bar. Maybe its because I admitted that I crashed?
Trying to decide what to replace it with, currently using an older EA70 riser I had as a backup.

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
On the bright side, hurting the shifter/brake mounts would have been a pricier landing, looks like the bar snapped right where it was tensioned by the lock-on grips afaict, sounds like a landing like that was going to break SOMETHING, and it might as well be clean obvious damage to the bar.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm glad it was the bar and not ME that broke. I actually run my shifter and brake clamps spaced about 1/2" apart, and it broke between them, fairly close to the brake clamp. I did torque them correctly, but I'm sure that there is still a stress riser at the clamp point.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Remember, this was after crashing hard on the second of two ~5ft tabletop jumps. I didn't have any issues before this. Normal XC/trail riding in the midwest, plus a bit of steeper stuff in CO last summer.

My take on it is that XC handlebars aren't made for big jumps...

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
They're not carbon, but as far as strong...I have had ZERO issues with Spank Spike or Chromag OSX bars...none. Had a crash on huge stepup gap that broke a Marzocchi 66, fullface helmet and Leatt brace, but the Spank bar just had some scratches (measured it, straight as new). They're roughly 45 grams heavier than a havoc, but an inch longer, half the price, great comfort and ridiculously strong. I'll take 45 grams for bullet proof/set it and forget it.

Brock...

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,242 Posts
You're a clyde...jumping...with a lightweight carbon XC bar :skep:

Maybe that's why Easton is only offering 30%

If you want to run carbon, run the correct carbon for your size and use. For me that would be a Havoc Carbon bar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.