Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1st MTB....08' Hi-Fi.....13.5months on the frame. Snapped upon landing a bunny hop off of a curb....was able to come to a stop safely upon feeling the back end sag and tire rub against chainstay. I've seen it before on this forum....just thought I would share. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow and hopefully will get resolution ASAP. The thought of not being on a bike for weeks upon weeks makes me want to puke. I'm also disappointed at the lack of strength in this area (whats with the cutout? just make it a solid piece)....I always read about the failures and thought that "surely" the owners abused the heck out of their rides to generate such failures. I consider myself a conservative rider, and this is what I get just a few weeks after 1 year of ownership.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've only seen them breaking at the weld.

Lets us know how the warranty claim goes whether they give you a new rear triangle or new frame.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fisher Warranty transferrable?

I'm considering buying a used Hifi and am very concerned about this. Anyone know if the Fisher warranty transferrable to a 2nd owner?? If I buy used and break one, am I screwed??

·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for the warranty claim.....no questions asked....I walked in with frame in hand, told them I had a warranty claim....the trek rep (who happened to be in the store at the time) looked at it for 1/2 second and said, "yep....warranty". 2 minutes later, the store took my frame and I was out the door. Before leaving, I asked the rep how long to get it back. He said I get a new rear triangle and depending on if they have one already painted, it's 5 days....could take 2 weeks otherwise.

As for the warranty transfer.....the original owner is the only person who can claim the warranty as it is a lifetime warranty. So if you buy used, I suggest buying from someone you know who can vouch for you the next few years.

Again....I need to emphasize that I'm not a hucker....consider myself a conservative rider and bought the bike March 15th, 2008. It broke yesterday, May 1st, 2009. I've ridden the bike between 3-5 times a week during that time for a total of ~1798 miles, ~160278 vert. descended.

·
Registered
36 Posts
broken swingarm

I recently had a crack on my hifi swingarm (mine cracked on the chainstay bridge) and took it into the LBS. It took about 2 weeks to get back (they had to paint it), and when it came back the guy at the shop pointed out that they've redesigned this part, in particular the new one is a lot beefier right in the area where yours broke. Mine is an '08 deulxe 29er, so I'm not sure if it will be the same for yours. Overall I was very happy with GF's warranty service.

·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rex_quando said:
I recently had a crack on my hifi swingarm (mine cracked on the chainstay bridge) and took it into the LBS. It took about 2 weeks to get back (they had to paint it), and when it came back the guy at the shop pointed out that they've redesigned this part, in particular the new one is a lot beefier right in the area where yours broke. Mine is an '08 deulxe 29er, so I'm not sure if it will be the same for yours. Overall I was very happy with GF's warranty service.
Rex....can you send a pic along with the redesigned area? I'm curious...

·
Registered
36 Posts
redesign pics

Here are some pics of the rear dropout area as it came back from the repair. Again, mine is a deluxe 29er so I don' t know if it will be the same for yours...
Blue Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Azure

Blue Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle drivetrain part

·
Registered
157 Posts
Crazy...I just signed on to see if my problem has been posted. Sure enough!

Except, mine snapped completely through at the front of the "swingarm", where the asymetrical (sp) part is.

Just like you, I consider myself pretty conservative. Just crossing/cleaning anything in the normal easy xc trails around here. Minor log piles and whatnot.

About 2 weeks ago I was out with a group and noticed that something just didn't feel right. I haven't been overly happy with the flex I get from the rear, but it seemed way worse. All I got was "oh, it's probably just your tire pressure." Riiiggghhhttt...

Then the last few rides I've had the same flex issue, and horrible shifting problems. WTF, right?

Last night I took it to a buddy's house to get the drivetrain gremlins worked out. We flipped it over, and HOLY CRAP.

Damn good thing we found it, because this morning's ride was to start with a nasty descent. Complete failure at that point would've been super serious.

Luckily, I bought it lightly used from my LBS mgr, a good friend of mine. 15 minutes after dropping it off this morning, the warranty claim was filed.

FWIW...this model already had the swingarm replaced as per GF.

Not overly happy with GF right now...

·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess if ones design includes a high failure rate....including a limited lifetime warranty is a good way to assuage the customers. As long as I get it back soon...I'll be ok with it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Went to LBS today to check status. Out of paint already and on the way. Awesome.

Then the mgr, a great friend of mine, says "Hey look, you won't believe this..."

He then shows me his personal '09 bike with....you guessed it, a snapped swingarm.

Submitted the claim and called the tech dept. Apparently the rep said he'd never had that happen before within his region.

I call bs...considering mine had the same thing happen last week.

·
Registered
395 Posts
This thread is really makin me nervous. :eekster: I ride my HIFI Pro 29er (08) pretty hard and often. A catastrophic failure and injury isn't going to go over too well with me. Starting to smell like product liability gross negligence.

I'm really surprised there isn't a proactive product recall / warranty replacement - I think I'm going to check tomorrow with the LBS to see if this can be proactively remedied. If not, I'm probably going to dump the frame and go back to another vendor's hardtail.

Too bad, because its one of the best riding trailbikes I've ever owned.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Kind of my thoughts as well. Like, this isn't an uncommon thing.

That bad boy snaps on a fast descent, I'm face first into a tree. Not cool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well Thought I would add.......
I have broken 2 frames,
The original HiFi when they came out in the UK 2007 problem as above and similar time, bought in March 2007, snapped in May 2008 replaced June 2008.
This time I "felt" the bike feeling a little odd and when I checked it over yep another crack same place only a matter of time before it snapped.

When it happened the first time I was told it was an alloy issue with the manufacturer. This time and following all these related posts it will be interesting to see what they come back with.

The good point is my Local Bike Shop have been above and beyond helpful. The first time it happened they let me use one of their Santa Cruz Hecklers until my HIFI came back. Same again this time either another Heckler or a HIFI until we hear back from Trek (Should be picking up replacement bike on Thursday)

Will keep you posted on the next reason after all I expressed my anger at the design flaw in the welding design last time it happened.

My Wife thinks it’s the best bike ever as she bought it for me as a birthday present, I wanted to upgrade to a Heckler last time but she said no way, the HiFi is the best bike ever… you get a new one every year!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have broke my '08 hifi twice in the last 6 months

same exact spot both times (the "H" on the chainstays, right through the weep hole). first time the factory sent the wrong part (seat stays instead of chain stays) and I was without a bike for almost 6 weeks!

I Just dropped off my bike at the LBS today for the second time and they said it will be 2 weeks this time. Only this time they are out of 08 XL HiFi chainstays so I will be getting a whole new frame, kinda cool but it is going to be RED, and the new girly looking design :madman:

Kinda sux to spend almost $3k on a bike and have the frame break twice in less than 6 months. I'm a very conservative rider too, i try to ride fast but I never really jump or do drops.

·
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I just got my bike back yesterday....so a tad over 3 weeks from drop off to finish. I won't post up pics, but thought I'd share some details. They did strengthen up the dropout area such that it no longer bifurcates heading into the chainstay/dropout weld...it is now a solid piece heading into that weld (see the pic's from Rex_Quando above, earlier in the thread....it's the same design). It also came back to me in all black....I thought they would paint with original blue color....guess I assumed wrong. I'm not going to piss and moan about the black...initially i was annoyed at the lack of customer communication/managing expectations, but now it looks kinda cool since it matches the seat stay.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Exact the same issue as TheWood922; had the Deluxe 29 for a couple of weeks and lots of flex rear and shifting issues. One day I was just riding along and it felt like I was riding with a flat back tire; turned out that instead of this the entire swing arm was broken!
I rode this bike with the new swingarm for a couple of more months but everytime I rode it I had issues with this bike. My LBS finally gave me a refund on the bike so I was able to buy another one.

Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Rim Bicycle drivetrain part

·
Registered
52 Posts
wow, thats a bad break.

same exact spot that I broke mine twice...

what kind of issues did you have with the new swing arm?

·
Registered
157 Posts
GF_Rider said:
same exact spot that I broke mine twice...

what kind of issues did you have with the new swing arm?

I'll answer this question!

What new swingarm?

Stilllll waiting.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts