Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have my favourite steed in all it's old school glory from my XC racing days in the mid '90's . I've put on a few pounds now....(got married , kids....) So I'm thinkin of up grading my beloved hardtail into a 69'er or a front wheel with a 650B(27.5") .

I have a Manitou Mach 5 fork with Speed springs ....upgrade to a FOX ?

Margura brakes(rim) So I'm thinkin of a hayes disc/lever setup for the front

Front wheel -White industries front hub w/radial laced mavic rim....
upgrade to a 29'er if possible or a 650b setup

Perhaps a new stem is in order too for geometry changes...

What do ya think? is it feasable

An old pic in action(note :the tree was not harmed)

I should've posted this inthe 69'er forums ...go ahead and move it on over..

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
go rigid.

Just my 2 cents but i would find a none adjusted fork for that baby to keep the cost down with the handling and looks staying close to original.
Jeff

·
Registered
322 Posts
And two more cents makes four. Keep the Brodie the way it is and get a new bike if you need a 69er.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Feasible yes - but why? If you've got the parts and want some adventure try it, but don't spend a ton of money to make it work. Get a frame that will support your 69 need and sell that Expresso to me...lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
Brodie

Just jumping in on this thread here looking for some info, can you guys tell me how often mid nineties Brodie Sovereigns' come up for sale on your side of the pond? Am looking for a new project, something a bit different from the normal Fats and Kleins that appear and one of the guys over on retrobike put me onto this idea. Cheers.

Stew

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
haggis1978 said:
Just jumping in on this thread here looking for some info, can you guys tell me how often mid nineties Brodie Sovereigns' come up for sale on your side of the pond? Am looking for a new project, something a bit different from the normal Fats and Kleins that appear and one of the guys over on retrobike put me onto this idea. Cheers.

Stew
I've been looking for two years and only one has appeared - not my size. Good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ahhh damn it!

Your not filling me full of enthusiasm (correct spelling?) top_ring, oh well i guess you'll just need to sell me your Stars and Bars then :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
haggis1978 said:
Your not filling me full of enthusiasm (correct spelling?) top_ring, oh well i guess you'll just need to sell me your Stars and Bars then :thumbsup:
Ha - nice try. You'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.;)

·
artistic...
7,594 Posts
oil the chain and ride it. if something brakes change it.
you put on weight. you need exercize not shopping. go ride!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
on my way...650b retro fit

I'm not looking back....back in my hey day .race weight of 165lbs...when I was 25...I'm 240, 41yrs old now...I'm still a strong rider...here's a current pic from today ...Note : the original Hammerhead Bar tape on the head tube...Tomes....!

I can always go back to the original setup If I want ...cost is not a problem....

I ordered a Sun CR-18 650b rim 32 spoke...and a Chris king 1 1/8" headset...today...

Rigid ...are you joking me...OMG...I don't want to relive 1985-1991 over the bars again....I have accident insurance but come on... I broke my wrist doing trials and couldn't work for 3months..back in '96..I don't wanna repeat that again...( I went into a job interview with a cast on..and still got hired...and I still rode ....) Then went into debt....those days sucked...! Mind you I'm a hardcore technical trail rider, former XC cross country expert class racer(6yrs), cyclocross racer, former trials team rider(2yrs). I love my hardtail...just want breathe some new life in her... upgrading only makes sense...

Back in '90 I had a rigid fork Univega alpina w/full xt with a 2.5" ground control up front and a 1.8" porcupine in the rear...

I still can't figure out why everyone abondoned bar ends....I love my vintage '92 Onza's..how the hell do ya climb a steep technical climb without...it's like going back to 1985...what the hell...

my nickel...plah...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol!

colker1 said:
oil the chain and ride it. if something brakes change it.
you put on weight. you need exercize not shopping. go ride!

Ya have to shop for broken parts ehh...

I have broken many parts parts... .on set of cook bros cranks, steel steerer [email protected] 42mph(mild concussion) , ti clipless pedals, a few rims,syncros seatpost, frames, small chainrings ripped in half,chains... ....just few over the years..

I'm shopping to beef up the light weight componets.to take my abuse...Ya I know I need to ride and there is plenty on finish line and mud on the chain...

:thumbsup: I like your attitude....ride on ....man....!!!

·
artistic...
7,594 Posts
Hammerhead XC said:
Ya have to shop for broken parts ehh...

I have broken many parts parts... .on set of cook bros cranks, steel steerer [email protected] 42mph(mild concussion) , ti clipless pedals, a few rims,syncros seatpost, frames, small chainrings ripped in half,chains... ....just few over the years..

I'm shopping to beef up the light weight componets.to take my abuse...Ya I know I need to ride and there is plenty on finish line and mud on the chain...

:thumbsup: I like your attitude....ride on ....man....!!!
beautifull bike man.

you have to try a set of midge bars or wtb dirt drops. much nicer on the wrists than flat or riser bars... just make sure you level the top of the bars and saddle. even make it slightly taller.
it will bring a significant change in feel. trust me.
singlespeeding would be nice too.

good luck!

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Hammerhead XC said:
Rigid ...are you joking me...OMG..
my nickel...plah...
Nice bike. Well used! :thumbsup:

Consider the forum...
Our tendency here is to lean towards keeping things original. Leave modern wheel sizes and suspension to modern bikes.

If the geometry on a bike designed around a 26" wheel and (maybe) 63mm travel fork...is retro fitting with a 650b wheel and 100mm fork going to improve the handling of the bike any? Seems you'd be throwing geometry off and you'd end up wallowing on the climbs and sluggish in the tech.

I could be wrong, but thats what it seems like to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's an little update...so far...

New Chris King headset(black) 1 1/8"
Chris King Discotek w/ISO 6 pt. disc mount front hub 32h (black)

Sun Cr-18 650b 32h rim(silver) Like I care what color a rim is...Dt 14ga spkoes w/ 3X pattern( I had those black rims back in the '80's including the black spokes...) funny how they are the rage now....so retro...Even my old Schwinn mtn bike had riser bars...back in '86...If I recall we had wider rims too...

For the Fork I'm looking at the Maverick 29'er that drops 2" for climbing...!

I'm looking at a Hayes disc/lever setup for the front...

·
Is dang happy!
1,371 Posts
650b + 500mm A-C fork = a trip to chopperville. If that frame was designed for a 80mm fork and 26" wheels you will get some crazy wheel flop with that setup.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No west coast choppers!

Mr. Doom said:
650b + 500mm A-C fork = a trip to chopperville. If that frame was designed for a 80mm fork and 26" wheels you will get some crazy wheel flop with that setup.
I stated I was using a 29'er 80mm fork...not a 500mm fork! I don't think I'll get any crazy wheel flop . I've seen many 69'er setups that were frames designed with 26" wheels....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts