Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a reason why the der. hanger is so brittle? Yesterday I had a really minor "crash", I pretty much fell over, and I heard this really loud SNAP, then I looked down and noticed that the only thing that was broken was the der. hanger, at which point I had to coast back down and out of the trail I was on, it was all downhill from there, it's just a climb up and then a loop, then a descent out, anyways. On all the bikes I've had before the hanger would bend allot, long before it would break, infact I've just bent them back allot, but this one didn't bend at all, it just broke off, had I not been on the trail I was on, I would have been in for quite a walk because of this. Anyways, is there some reason it is this way, or..... It just seems kinda of silly to have such a brittle hanger, on a otherwise very roboust bike.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
An update

This type of hanger is plenty soft enough and I posted it here http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=147184&highlight=betd+hanger

They are thicker but that makes no difference to there strength as the section that bends (the thin bit) is the same as stock so it can fit the frame, once fitted they require the stops re setting on the rear derailleur and you are good to go, if anything they are too soft, but bend back easily and although I bought two, I am still on my first one.
No walk/coast home incidents (so far)

·
Registered
419 Posts
FTF said:
Is there a reason why the der. hanger is so brittle? Yesterday I had a really minor "crash", I pretty much fell over, and I heard this really loud SNAP, then I looked down and noticed that the only thing that was broken was the der. hanger, at which point I had to coast back down and out of the trail I was on, it was all downhill from there, it's just a climb up and then a loop, then a descent out, anyways. On all the bikes I've had before the hanger would bend allot, long before it would break, infact I've just bent them back allot, but this one didn't bend at all, it just broke off, had I not been on the trail I was on, I would have been in for quite a walk because of this. Anyways, is there some reason it is this way, or..... It just seems kinda of silly to have such a brittle hanger, on a otherwise very roboust bike.
A soft hanger is intended to bend long before the frame does. I'm a firm believer in this and always carry an extra hanger just in case. A long time ago I had a Santa Cruz and bought into the idea that a replacable hanger was a waste, then the non-replacable hanger on the Heckler promptly snapped off and I had to either buy a new rear end or get is custom repaired. Royal pain in the butt.

I've bent several of the hangers on my Turners but never had a frame issue, so now I have 2 hangers in my toolbox and one in the Camelback at all times, and I've never had a single serious problem.

Is it possible to mak them stiffer yet still protect the frame? Possibly, but I'll take the extra insurance of a soft hanger any day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.