Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
a little drama a few minutes ago near the alhambra staging area in briones...

i had just finished coming down the creek towards my car and had just passed this nice couple riding the same trail...i get to the gate, go through the gate and behind me i see a white horse at full throttle running up the trail--with no rider, saddle, etc....i look and see a kid on a bike coming down and got worried. next thing i see is the horse going the other way (same direction as the biker) again at full tilt....i was pretty ticked off, there's nothing that could be more dangerous than a horse on the loose in a park with cyclists and hikers around.

unfortunately, next thing i see is the couple near the gate and as it turns out the woman was tossed from the bike by the horse..evidently it galloped up the trail and knocked one or both of them down, and the woman was a bit banged up. i went to them (as did everyone else) to make sure she was ok, and she was in a bit of pain in her knee and side. one of the hikers was able to get the horse and calm it down, but no horse owner in sight...

after making sure the couple was basically ok i was going to the stable to call the park police, but low and behold a park policeman happened by. i flagged him down and he called to get some medical attention for the woman just in case, and he took my and their info down. while this is all going on the owner of the horse and her friend show up carrying a camera but no horse hear at all. maybe they decided to take some pix of the horse and let it run around and it decided to take a hard run up and down the trails...i don't know..

anyway, i hope the woman is ok, she was complaining that her knee wasn't right. since the park police was there and medical help was on the way, i gave the couple my business card and made sure the police had full contact info for me as some sort of complaint is going to be filed...

that was the most dangerous thing i've ever seen in briones and honestly i hope they throw the book at the horse owner, who from my eye had no clue what she was doing with a horse....

if i get a copy of the complaint i'm happy to send it on to the ebrpd board if that is appropriate...

if the couple is on here, i hope you are ok..

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Scary. Real.

What were they thinking? I'd like to hear the rest of the story if you get it
I recall Morris Older, chairing the EBATC meeting where I proposed a trail opening saying, "I hate to imagine what would happen if a horse encountered a bike in this section." He was trying to make a point that bikes didn't belong there. There really is no data supporting dangerous behavior of cyclists, only mythic stories. This horse story is a fact and it will be well recorded.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i hope it gets recorded, but i imagine it will since the couple was interested in filing whatever complaint they needed to, plus the unfortunate fact that the woman was slightly injured. i may be asked to give my comments as well to the police which i'm more than happy to do. if i do i will get a copy of the complaint and we can decide how to handle it...

but yes it was very, very scary. in hindsight i was very lucky as i was moving faster than the couple and it could have easily been me if the horse had come up the trail earlier.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Wow, that'd be scary. I do hope the horse owner is held accountable (and that the horse didn't get hurt as a result of the negligence). Glad you've stayed involved for what you witnessed.

I was just wishing today that horse owners had at least the responsibility of dog owners on the trails, came down a fast section and around a corner the whole trail was landmined! Damn non-native species!

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
TLL said:
Not sure if this is a good idea, but what if this were to make the CC Times?
I think that would be an excellent idea. I also think it would be an excellent idea to bring the whole episode up at the EBRPD board meeting on Tuesday - this Tuesday - at 2:00pm during the public comments. Several of us will be there but it would be best to have all of the facts about this episode.

I hope the cyclist is OK.

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,463 Posts
Um, before you jump and start making story for a case out of this - be best to get the full story.

When I hear about a horse running loose like that, I always worry about what the initial cause of it was. Maybe it wasn't tied right and spooked at a leaf, or was let loose on purpose, or whatever. But also possible that it was spooked by something else, like a bike. And in that was the situation, this sure wouldn't be a good case study for us. So, until you know for sure, may be best to not start using this as a case supporting bike access.

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
Yeah, you just don't know and I'm sure nobody is letting their property (the horse) run lose on park tails to be lost and/or injured. Just like nobody is going to leave their bike at the head of a trail for random people to bomb it down some hill.

Maybe a reckless, speeding bicyclist caused the house to freak and throw it's rider.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
singlespeed.org said:
Um, before you jump and start making story for a case out of this - be best to get the full story.

When I hear about a horse running loose like that, I always worry about what the initial cause of it was. Maybe it wasn't tied right and spooked at a leaf, or was let loose on purpose, or whatever. But also possible that it was spooked by something else, like a bike. And in that was the situation, this sure wouldn't be a good case study for us. So, until you know for sure, may be best to not start using this as a case supporting bike access.
if a horse can be spooked that easily, dont you think its the owners responsibility not to bring it to public places to hurt people?

its basically black and white in legal cases with dogs. if you know you have a dangerous dog, dont bring it to the park to chew up kids or you'll be held responsible. horses shouldnt be any different.

·
Blanco
1,353 Posts
singlespeed.org said:
But also possible that it was spooked by something else, like a bike.
No, it isn't possible, because the horse didn't have a saddle on, and came running up from the parking lot ("staging area"). It couldn't have been spooked by bicyclists on the trail, because it wasn't on the trail to begin with!

If you're suggesting that it's someone else's fault for being in the parking lot, well, I don't know what to say. It's a frigging PARKING LOT. Cars drive in and out, people come and go.

Cohen: did the horse have a halter or bridle on -- or could you tell?

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,463 Posts
Never want to hear that any issues happen out there to any user group, but if it has to happen, it is good to hear that this probably can't come back to bite cyclists.

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
Horses do crazy things sometimes. They are dangerous for everyone around them when they do.

Once upon a time I got bucked off a young horse when I was riding around the barn area one day. I got up and tried to catch the horse, who was delighted with his freedom and being cagey. I managed to get him cornered in a dead end aisle between two corrals and thought I was home free. He bolted straight at me and made a mean face with his ears back and kinda pushed his shoulder towards me. I reached out to grab his reins as he ran past and instantly had my finger dislocated as he yanked the reins out of my hand. Stupid move on my part.... and it took me over 2 hours to finally catch him with help. Ugly scene.

Bottom line is it was my own fault I got dumped and the horse got loose. But at least I was on private property and in an enclosed, fenced perimeter.

If the horse came up from the parking lot most likely he got loose as they were unloading him from the trailer or grooming him before or after the ride. Sometimes horses pull on their ties and break them to get free, sometimes they just yank the lead from your hand and take off.

An experienced horseperson should be able to anticipate these behaviors and have appropriate training, practice, equipment and technique for preventing the horse from escaping (strong halters, lead chain, an assistant, etc.) If the horse gets loose it is always the handler's fault.

Patty

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,137 Posts
singlespeed.org said:

When a dog is running loose and hurts someone the owner is responsible. It doesn't matter that the dog was spooked by a firework... why should there be a different standard for loose horses?

Owners are responsible for what their pets do in public. End of story. Suggesting that a bike spooked it so that it wasn't the owners fault is total bunk.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
while i haven't yet seen the official report, my understanding of the situation is the following....

the owner and friend had the horse, bridle only, in the park and were taking pictures of something (not sure if they were taking pix of the horse or the park or both). the horse decided it liked its freedom and ran off, and the rest involves either scaring the cr&p out of cyclists and hikers or actually causing the couple to be tossed with the woman being slightly injured. there was no indication that anything spooked the horse, but without seeing the police report i can't be certain. the horse owner showed up some time later after the police had arrived and after medical help had been called, and she didn't look like someone who knew anything about the responsibilities of bringing a horse into a public park (maybe that's not fair but if you saw her you would have the same impression).

on second thought, i'm not doing anything with this...unless the park police call me for more information...probably best left to the people involved, most important thing is that the woman is not injured too badly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.