Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be up for 6 am at briones saturday, since I have to work... nice way to get a ride in...

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
Sounds like a plan. I got permission from the Social Director.
Now, tell me where to show up. My experience with Briones is riding in from the Pleasant Hill Rd entrance. Never been to, seen the other entrances mentioned elsewhere.

Hey! Didn't you resign/quit?

Werner

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wg said:
Sounds like a plan. I got permission from the Social Director.
Now, tell me where to show up. My experience with Briones is riding in from the Pleasant Hill Rd entrance. Never been to, seen the other entrances mentioned elsewhere.

Hey! Didn't you resign/quit?

Werner
The rides lately have been taking off from the Alhambra Staging area which is on reliez valley road. There are some stables there, and there is a paved path into the park. There most likely will not be a ranger at the kiosk that early.

To map quest it try reliez valley road and sage (although the entrance is just north of sage - you can see it on the map)

PS: yes I gave notice at my job and will be moving! must ride good ol' briones as much as possible over the next 3 months. :(

·
MTBR.com Addict
616 Posts
Moving?!?

Impy said:
The rides lately have been taking off from the Alhambra Staging area which is on reliez valley road. There are some stables there, and there is a paved path into the park. There most likely will not be a ranger at the kiosk that early.

To map quest it try reliez valley road and sage (although the entrance is just north of sage - you can see it on the map)

PS: yes I gave notice at my job and will be moving! must ride good ol' briones as much as possible over the next 3 months. :(
Where you moving to?

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
jrm said:
you mean 7 or 8am...right?
I will likely be out there at 5:45 - 6:00 a.m.. My buddy an I need a bit of a headstart if we don' want everyone to be waiting at the top for half and hour (he really had to push a lot last weekend, he hasn't been out much lately). BTW, the gate is not open so you will have ride up the road about 3/4 mile (Alhambra Entrance on Reliez Valley Road).

We have been riding Alhambra Creek Trail, then handing a right on Spengler up to the Marichi i lagoons and then going up toward Briones peak. I am unsure if we should just to say a hello or try to meet near the lagoons. While I have a bit of endurance, if we try to do a full Impy ride, 1) I will be late getting home (by 8 so the wife can go to Yoga), and 2) my buddy will need an ambulance transport out.

Thoughts are appreciated. Also, any recommendations for the a different route or loop?

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
4,164 Posts
Me thinks their serious about the 6am thing. I'm gonna go for it. Then I'll be back at a reasonable time to be mauled by a couple offspring.
CDMC - I've not ridden in from that Sage road entrance so have no idea what its like. My normal Briones entrance is the nasty climb on Pleasant Hill Rd accross from Acalanes HS. Its been a while though since I've been in the park so I'll go where the consensus points.

Werner

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
Lots of climbing, but it doesn't have the rollers like the Ridge Trail does.

See you at 6.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be there, unless this sore throat thingy gets worse, at 6 and look for peoples. If I see none I will not curse at you all for gettign me up early, but ride my bike around happily..

wg look for me near the parking area.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
so how was the ride?? pretty cool, cloudy and windy from what i could see...hope you guys had fun, i'll be around this week if anyone is interested in diablo foothills or other rides.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cohenfive said:
so how was the ride?? pretty cool, cloudy and windy from what i could see...hope you guys had fun, i'll be around this week if anyone is interested in diablo foothills or other rides.
It was wiiiiiiindy up at the meadow and there was a shroud of fog but the ride was good. We had 4 people nutz enough to get up while it was still dark and start riding. Wg, me, CDMC and his buddy. We rode up to the meadow. CDMC and his bud were on a tighter schedule so they went to the peak, wg and I rode around to the other side of the park and expored here and there and next thing I know it was almost 9am and the sun was starting to come out.

We saw a gang of youngish kids (well young to me, early 20's or teens), maybe 10 all together, pushing their bikes up the fireroad. We are talking big DH bikes with double crowned forks. They said there were going to ride some ST down - I'm not aware of any DH suitable ST in the park, (certainly no legal ST) but there they were pushing away up up up the big hill.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
4,164 Posts
Cool, windy, overheat on the way up then freeze when cresting the ridge. Explored some singletrack I didn't know about (thanks Impy). And as expected, had a flat when I got back home. Nice goat head stuck in the rear tire. Good way to start the day.
Not sure about the mid week yet. Probably a day to day thing depending on work mayhem. I'll post if I'm able to get out.

Werner

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
Impy and WG are being nice. My buddy and I were climbing so slowy (or rather pushing so slowly) they probably had a nap waiting for us to get to the top. Even disreguarding the time, I don't think we could have hung for their extended loop. We saw the guys on the big bikes on the way out, they were about .25 of a mile from the Alhambra Creek Gate and already looking miserable. I think they were probably riding and re-riding that once section with roots. BTW, we did ride further up that trail off the ponds and came to a 4 way intersection. If you go left there, there is a short section that is definetly DH material. It is made more intimidating by the near vertical drop to the left, that would send you down about 200 feet if you of the left of the trail. We only went down a short way and had to come back the way we came to get back home in a timely manner.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
sounds like you guys had fun. i was sort of up that early (a bit of jet lag from my trip) but i have to admit to being a weather snob--too cold for me (for the summer) to go out at that time, so i did some errands this morning and went out to diablo foothills this afternoon. that two weeks without riding showed itself but i made it.

as i said, i'm around this week if anyone is interested in riding. i'll be emailing webshot as well....

·
Registered
100 Posts
WHATS UP!

So I missed the "Early Saturday Ride" Ey?! Well that is just great! :p

Actually I decided to not ride until Monday, which brings up a question for Impy or anyone else who would like to chime in:

I have been biking every other day for a month and one week. This is after a very long break (10 years)! I have certainly noticed a huge increase in my stamina since biking again, but I'm having some trouble with my legs. They burn and hurt so bad when I first start riding. I stretch but still a lot of pain. I'm wondering if it is possible to over do it? My legs are starting to get bigger of course. Perhaps to much tearing of the muscle tissue and not enough heal time in between heavy rides?

Thanks,

webshot

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
webshot said:
WHATS UP!

So I missed the "Early Saturday Ride" Ey?! Well that is just great! :p

Actually I decided to not ride until Monday, which brings up a question for Impy or anyone else who would like to chime in:

I have been biking every other day for a month and one week. This is after a very long break (10 years)! I have certainly noticed a huge increase in my stamina since biking again, but I'm having some trouble with my legs. They burn and hurt so bad when I first start riding. I stretch but still a lot of pain. I'm wondering if it is possible to over do it? My legs are starting to get bigger of course. Perhaps to much tearing of the muscle tissue and not enough heal time in between heavy rides?

Thanks,

webshot
We missed ya webshot! Maybe we can get a ride in this week? Hey aren't we supposed to go to shell ridge or something on Tuesday? I might be up for that exept that i kind of have an errand to run in santa rosa and was thinking that annadel might be in the cards tuesday afternoon, , ,

Sometimes my legs burn a bit before i get warmed up, but its not super painful and it definitely goes away. I wonder if you rode a little more before hitting the hills if it woudl help. Like parking out on Sage or soemthing, which forces you to warm up on the pavement before hitting the big climbs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Impy said:
We missed ya webshot! Maybe we can get a ride in this week? Hey aren't we supposed to go to shell ridge or something on Tuesday? I might be up for that exept that i kind of have an errand to run in santa rosa and was thinking that annadel might be in the cards tuesday afternoon, , ,

Sometimes my legs burn a bit before i get warmed up, but its not super painful and it definitely goes away. I wonder if you rode a little more before hitting the hills if it woudl help. Like parking out on Sage or soemthing, which forces you to warm up on the pavement before hitting the big climbs.
Yea, I rode yesterday and noticed that it takes a good 20 min. before my legs stop hurting. Once they are warmed up it's all good.

CohenFive is thinking Diablo Foothills possibly Wed.

I'm gonna hit Briones this afternoon.

FYI to all!!! Sportmart in Concord is having a sale that I think ends today, clothes and stuff like %25-%40 off. Great deals! No real bike related stuff, but lots of shorts, pants, and shirts. I spent like $90 and got 3 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of pants, and a shirt! Nike, Columbia, name brand stuff. good deals.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
webshot said:
FYI to all!!! Sportmart in Concord is having a sale that I think ends today, clothes and stuff like %25-%40 off. Great deals! No real bike related stuff, but lots of shorts, pants, and shirts. I spent like $90 and got 3 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of pants, and a shirt! Nike, Columbia, name brand stuff. good deals.
this belongs in the hot deals forum, not here. please stay focused on the topic...

hahahahahahahahaha!!

1 - 20 of 115 Posts