Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am eager to get back into mountain biking after a long hiatus from the sport.

I recently rescued my Barracuda A2R from an 8-year stint in the basement, and I'm excited to get it ready for the trails. I can easily replace the tubes and cables, but my bigger concern is with the suspension fork.

The fork is a first generation Manitou Spyder R. It "feels" pretty firm, but I'm concerned that if it needs any service or replacement parts, I might be out of luck. Before I start investing in fixing the bike, I'm going to bring it in and have the fork looked at by a professional.

My question is...does anyone know if I'll be able to service such an old fork? Or will I be riding on borrowed time?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Glad to see that Barracudas are getting a little more luv round here lately.
I too have an A2R from '94. Didn't the "R" in "A2R" denote that it originally came with a rigid fork? Mine came with a Spinner brand steel fork.I think it was the A2S model that came with a front suspension fork (S for suspension). Do you have any pics of the bike that you can post?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really? I did not know that about the R. Interesting.

I will post some pictures. The old ones (where the bike has its original parts) are buried somewhere. But I can post a few current ones. I'll post the "classic" pics when I find and scan them.

Nice to know there are some other 'cuda riders out there :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Love the web site! It's a great resource. In the past I've tried to uncover what happened to the company, but had no luck. Nice to see Barracudas on the web.

As requested, here is a pic of my bike.

Couple of things...

--My brother borrowed it last year. He didn't have shoes/clipless pedals, so he put cheap-o plastic petals back on. I still need to swap them out.
--You'll notice that that much of the bike is no longer original. No more purple handlebar, LX instead of STX, new seat, etc.
--Enjoy the backdrop of the picture, which is a bunch of paint cans. Sorry, it was cold and dark outside, so I had to take the shot in my messy basement.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The company was sold to Ross bicycles who at the same time purchased Mantis. In hopes of making a decent run at making decent bikes.However Ross the company has this Midas touch in reverse thing going on, everything they touch turns to sh!t. The original company was great, a bit extravagant but definitly an original business plan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.