Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Team
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

A few years ago, a premeire place for biking shut down and turned its lifts for the last times. Now the ski-area has recently been sold and there is talk that if there is enough intrest, they will run the lifts again; with your help, we can make some peoples dreams become reality.

The resort is Sunday River, located in Maine, USA.
www.sundayriver.com

so onto the story:

(If you skipped reading everything else, just read this)
Sunday River was recently sold to Boyne. We want SR to have biking again, please help out, by writing a letter or sending an e-mail, and signing the petition.

RANCHO said:
to all of you who may have ridden or those of you that heard about the riding at Sunday River I say we take it back.
If we show a great deal of interest by inundating the staff through e-mails and letter writing there is good chance that this new owner could at least be sparked into looking at the feasibility of having Sunday river become a great riding destination like it once was.
So if it matters to you and if you really miss the sh*t out of riding up there like I and many others do drop an e-mail to the following address. Tell them how much you love the place and how f***ing great you think it could be as a premier riding destination in the east.

[email protected]
Send a typed letter to:

Sunday River Ski Resort
P.O. Box 450
Bethel, ME 04217

Also, although these petitions typically do nothing I set one up anyways, so please sign it, it only takes a minute and I really do appreciate it:

https://www.petitiononline.com/bikeSR/petition.html

You can still see the above trail today.

Thanks for any and all help. :rocker:

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
signed the petition and sent them an email.

seriously guys, even if you're living in oregon and will never ride SR even if it does re-open, just sign the petition! it takes like 5min and helps grow the sport and gives us east coasters a kick ass place to ride!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I do live in oregon and chances are pretty slim that I'll get back to SR. But when I lived on the east coast that was one of my favorite places. Great in the winter too. Either way I signed it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
guys, this could be huge. Maine is DESPERATE for a large scale park. We have a few private parks, and yes they are a blast; unfortunately these parks are waaaaaay out in western maine and too far away from civilization. Normally, that wouldn't be problem at all as the majority of the state of maine is like this, but in an a place such as sunday river where the surrounding area is quite developed (portland is about 40 minutes away tops) the possibility of a larger scale resort could be a golden opportunity for the new owners of SR. Maine is hurting for free ride type riding, we have a well developed network of cross country trails, but I know a good amount of people that I ride with(including myself) who have bikes ballsy enough to take on free ride terrain but must build our own trails (often illegally) to reach our bike's full potential. I have already emailed SR and I hope that more will do the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The east coast is hurting for a high quality downhill and all montain resort. This could really be the east coast mt biking meca is Boyne would give it the time of day. Start with a weekend a month and see what the results are and I think that you will realize that the mt biking population will come to Sunday River. A race series could bring revenue to the area as well. I know that there is not much in the direct vacinity of SR, but the small business might like a summer boost in sales....If anyone has been to SR they know the potential..... Thanks!

·
Team
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mkrobert81 said:
I think that since SR has shut down for biking (2-3 years ago?) the intrest and amount of people getting into DH/FR is skyrocketed. The sport is growing and more people are riding now more than EVER!
I think this will be the 5th year it has not been open.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Signed, these guys don't realize that SR was one of nicest spot for DH with major cities not that far away (Boston, NY and even Montreal just a few hours north). When they closed, biking might have been on a descending slope but the last 2-3 years I think our sport has grown back and the all mountain type bikes now make it more "affordable" for people to buy one bike and be able to do some light DH without having to buy the full blown big $$$ heavy rig. Hopefully the open it back and we can all enjoy more variety. Thanks for this initiative DHbiker, a very good idea.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes!!!!!

This could make for a very interesting coming-back for me!

http://www.sundayriver.com/community/index.php?showtopic=8017&st=20&start=20

Folks, just to reiterate that we and the team at Sunday River are listening to you and do act on good ideas.

The team at Sunday River led by Dana Bullen, is ready to go virtually the day after we Boyne and our financial partners close on Sunday River to start LIFT SERVICED Mountain Biking, non lift served family friendly Mountain Biking and soon scenic lift rides to catch a great view of the mountians and fall colors.

If everything can be worked out it will start the Friday after the closing...hopefully in early August.

Enjoy the trails and rest assured this will be a priority over the coming years and this is just the beginning of the team's efforts to take advantage of some of potentially the best Mountain Biking in New England.

SK

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.