Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Tortolitas....the vastly underestimated mountain range north of Tucson. I rode out here 6 months ago and have always wanted to go back and find more routes. So I did. After a quick hike on Saturday, I called up Max and Scott and lured them in with tales of rocks as big as people, super skinny switchbacks, steep ups/downs and beautiful scenery.

First, we headed up Lower Javelina

This one took a few times, but eventually it was rideable. Can you see the Ritz Carlton in the background? Huge potential for those that want to stay close to the trail and ride after a brunch.

Does this place remind you of anywhere?

Plenty of rocks

some do-overs

but on the whole, it had the perfect combination of challenging and doable areas

As Max headed home, Kendall and Pocket joined us on the north side of Lower Javelina. We rotated camera duties for awhile.

Some awkward moments always happens while riding new lines

Other times you nail the switchbacks

only to look awkward again. What was I doing there?

Saguaros lined the trail and backdrop

Follow the leader to the next switchback

Mr. Confident making a switchback

Kendall headed home as Scott and I pressed on to Upper Javelina. More stunning views and sweet, chunky singletrack

Catalinas in the background

Scott called it a "Little Milagrosa." Clear blue skies, 70 degrees with a stunning view on some sweet, new trail.

A great way to start the new year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More new trails in the Tortolitas. Max and I headed out to explore more of the "new" trails out near Dove Mountain. Another day of asking myself, "why did it take so long for me to discover these trails?"

Plenty of rideable switchbacks

Did he clear that one?

Direction is key...although I will leave you to find out which way you prefer to ride

I doubt any of these trails have seen any mountain bikers.

count the saguaros in the following pictures.....

Content warning: you may need to hike your bike from time to time, in some areas you may even wonder why you even have your bike. But who could pass up this for a little hike-a-bike?

zoomed in version

and finally, on top of the ridge heading toward the end of this new trail.

Brilliant...simply brilliant trail.

Return the same way we came up. Only about 3 hikers seen the entire time we were out there.

It's new, get out there and ride it....trails that may be touted as "completely unrideable" may just need someone willing to work through some stuff sections.

·
Magicshine Light Dealer
171 Posts
Nice ... I live at Dove Mountain and have taken a look at these trails a couple of times on my singlespeed. I will take another look this weekend, great photos. Cheers Reade

azepicriderandrunner said:
The Tortolitas....the vastly underestimated mountain range north of Tucson. I rode out here 6 months ago and have always wanted to go back and find more routes. So I did. After a quick hike on Saturday, I called up Max and Scott and lured them in with tales of rocks as big as people, super skinny switchbacks, steep ups/downs and beautiful scenery.

First, we headed up Lower Javelina

This one took a few times, but eventually it was rideable. Can you see the Ritz Carlton in the background? Huge potential for those that want to stay close to the trail and ride after a brunch.

Does this place remind you of anywhere?

Plenty of rocks

some do-overs

but on the whole, it had the perfect combination of challenging and doable areas

As Max headed home, Kendall and Pocket joined us on the north side of Lower Javelina. We rotated camera duties for awhile.

Some awkward moments always happens while riding new lines

Other times you nail the switchbacks

only to look awkward again. What was I doing there?

Saguaros lined the trail and backdrop

Follow the leader to the next switchback

Mr. Confident making a switchback

Kendall headed home as Scott and I pressed on to Upper Javelina. More stunning views and sweet, chunky singletrack

Catalinas in the background

Scott called it a "Little Milagrosa." Clear blue skies, 70 degrees with a stunning view on some sweet, new trail.

A great way to start the new year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More new trails in the Tortolitas. Max and I headed out to explore more of the "new" trails out near Dove Mountain. Another day of asking myself, "why did it take so long for me to discover these trails?"

Plenty of rideable switchbacks

Did he clear that one?

Direction is key...although I will leave you to find out which way you prefer to ride

I doubt any of these trails have seen any mountain bikers.

count the saguaros in the following pictures.....

Content warning: you may need to hike your bike from time to time, in some areas you may even wonder why you even have your bike. But who could pass up this for a little hike-a-bike?

zoomed in version

and finally, on top of the ridge heading toward the end of this new trail.

Brilliant...simply brilliant trail.

Return the same way we came up. Only about 3 hikers seen the entire time we were out there.

It's new, get out there and ride it....trails that may be touted as "completely unrideable" may just need someone willing to work through some stuff sections.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.