Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
I'll rest later
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll preface this post by noting that I fully expect to be skewered by the Chumba fans out there. Believe me, I wanted to be one of those fans, too, but it in the end it didn't happen.

When looking into buying a new frame, I looked at several and the XCL was one of the leading contenders. I was encouraged by the reviews and by the willing participation in the MTBR forums by the Chumba employees. Over time, though, it became apparent that there were questions, specifically with regards to frame weight, which they were unwilling to answer.

However, the thing that sealed the deal for me was the prominent quote on the XCL web page. I'm talking about the quote from the Mountain Bike Action review which states, "...It's hard to get over just how brilliant the design is".

Now this is a very nice quote from a very favorable review of the XCL. The problem I have though is that if you read the review, you'll find that this quote has nothing to do with the frame. Instead, it is high praise for the design of the Fox Talas fork.

Maybe others are willing to look past such a blatant misrepresentation, but I'm not. It makes me wonder about how truthful their other claims are. I'm probably missing out on a really nice frame, but there are other nice frames out there, too.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Low Speed Endos said:
I'll preface this post by noting that I fully expect to be skewered by the Chumba fans out there. Believe me, I wanted to be one of those fans, too, but it in the end it didn't happen.

When looking into buying a new frame, I looked at several and the XCL was one of the leading contenders. I was encouraged by the reviews and by the willing participation in the MTBR forums by the Chumba employees. Over time, though, it became apparent that there were questions, specifically with regards to frame weight, which they were unwilling to answer.

However, the thing that sealed the deal for me was the prominent quote on the XCL web page. I'm talking about the quote from the Mountain Bike Action review which states, "...It's hard to get over just how brilliant the design is".

Now this is a very nice quote from a very favorable review of the XCL. The problem I have though is that if you read the review, you'll find that this quote has nothing to do with the frame. Instead, it is high praise for the design of the Fox Talas fork.

Maybe others are willing to look past such a blatant misrepresentation, but I'm not. It makes me wonder about how truthful their other claims are. I'm probably missing out on a really nice frame, but there are other nice frames out there, too.
That is pretty funny. Me, I worry about anybody that takes MBA seriously.

As for the XCL, who cares about what people think. Ride the bike and if you like it, buy it. If not, buy something else.

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
Low Speed Endos said:
That magazine in particular has somewhat questionable reviews. Very rarely do they say anything negative about the bikes they review...other than weight. That being said, they didn't complain about the 31 pounds of this bike, but did about the 30 pound RFX? I don't get it.

Everybody has the right to their opinion and the XCL is not for everyone. If that "misrepresentation" bothers you so much, look elsewhere. There are so many great bikes out there, it's hard to miss getting a nice ride.

Honestly, I have a harder time dealing with them calling the Talas a brilliant design...by who's standards? These are all opinions and YMMV.

·
I'll rest later
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. I have no problem with the MBA review itself. It is what it is. I'm well aware of their reputation for overly positive reviews.

My issue is with Chumba for taking a quote from the article that was clearly talking about a fork and presenting it in a manner that makes it appear to be praising the XCL frame.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Low Speed Endos said:
I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. I have no problem with the MBA review itself. It is what it is. I'm well aware of their reputation for overly positive reviews.

My issue is with Chumba for taking a quote from the article that was clearly talking about a fork and presenting it in a manner that makes it appear to be praising the XCL frame.
Yeh, a pretty crappy move that is aimed to deceive. Heck, I wonder if it is false advertisement.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

Low Speed Endos said:

Okay, we have further investigated this issue, and I understand where you are coming from. In order to relieve any confusion we will change the quote.

·
I'll rest later
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've read the review and it was very positive, which makes it so unfortunate that you chose to use that particular quote.

The paragraph in question is clearly talking about the fork, in a section, which is clearly talking about the parts spec used on the bike being reviewed. You can parse that paragraph anyway you want to justify your use of the quote, but it's clear to me, and probably to most readers, that the comment is referring to the fork. To say otherwise seems a bit disingenuous to me.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

Low Speed Endos said:
I've read the review and it was very positive, which makes it so unfortunate that you chose to use that particular quote.

The paragraph in question is clearly talking about the fork, in a section, which is clearly talking about the parts spec used on the bike being reviewed. You can parse that paragraph anyway you want to justify your use of the quote, but it's clear to me, and probably to most readers, that the comment is referring to the fork. To say otherwise seems a bit disingenuous to me.
After further review, your point is understood, and we'll take the appropriate action.;)

·
Viva Las Peli Taco
251 Posts
CHUMBAevo said:
Anyhow, its just bikes. If your interested in a XCL, go ride one and see if my interpretation of the quote is justifiable -- if you want to continue to accuse me of disingenuity in a public forum I think you probably need to go on a ride anyway. Simmer down now! Remember what this sport is about, its not about online attacks, making accusations on personal character, its supposed to be fun -- thats what draws people into it, let's keep it that way! :)
Very nicely handled...

·
I'll rest later
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't ignore the reasons you provided, I just didn't find them very convincing. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this matter since I don't think either of us will persuaded from our views.

Let me finish by saying I'm not here to engage in online battles. I don't consider anything I posted to be an attack - personal or otherwise. I'm here to learn more about the mountain biking sport I enjoy so much. That is what has drawn me to the MTBR forums and that is what will keep me here.

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
Alan

If you want, you can quote me...

I believe the XCL is a brilliant frame design. It will also get you laid.

:D

·
Registered
887 Posts
The funny thing is, if were Ellsworth that did something like this there would have been at least 5 pages of replies bashing them by now.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
BillT said:
The funny thing is, if were Ellsworth that did something like this there would have been at least 5 pages of replies bashing them by now.

Than I guess Ells shouldn't have done so "many" under handed things. As it is, I guess just one or so can be called a mistake, and left at that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
blackagness said:
Than I guess Ells shouldn't have done so "many" under handed things. As it is, I guess just one or so can be called a mistake, and left at that.
Exactly :thumbsup:

As an Ellsworth owner (current and past bikes) Ill say it gets a little frustrating listening to constant quality control issues of these very, very expensive frames. Either your constantly getting ripped on by non-ellsworth owners or wondering if you got one of the "bad ones" :madman:

·
Older than I feel
1,762 Posts
That was quick! The new quote on the XCL page is unmistakably about the bike itself.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts