Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m ready to buy my first Surly. The Bridge Club and Ogre are the ones that really caught my eye.

I already have a Trek Farley 6 fat bike that I use for off-road trails. I kinda want a bike that will be used for commuting on paved, rough county roads, gravel and maybe minor dirt roads to the lake and around the farm.

So, why would one choose the bridge club over the Ogre, and vice versa.

Why would I want to use 26” tires on the Bridge Club, and why would I want the 29” tires on the Ogre. Both can fit 27.5”.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think the price point on the Bridge Club makes it a tempting option for the type of riding you're looking for. One thing to consider, though, is the complete BC comes with 27.5" wheels and the Ogre rolls with 29".

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was asking the same question recently. I emailed Surly and told them I wanted a bike that I could commute with, tour with and possibly some dirt roads mixed in there. They told me both would be great choices especially because I wanted flat bars. The difference is the Ogre is more for off-road while the Bridge Club was designed for more pavement riding with some dirt road if you want to. Since I spend most miles on pavement but like the option of dirt road capability I decided on the Bridge Club. The price is also very nice.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Doesn’t the Ogre have thru axels, and the Bridge Club quick release? My impression was the bike had OG technology, and that keeps the price down. People talk about this at length in other threads.

My vote is to get a Karate Monkey. But I am biased.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Well.......whadja get? I'm in the same boat and while I'll be more on pavement, I'm leaning towards the Ogre. Problem is....none available at the moment!
My impression is that the BC is for people who are uncomfortable with, or don't care about TA's. Personally, I wouldn't pay $1200 for a BC when I could have an Ogre for just a little more.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for that. Your comment confirms my thoughts; the extra $$ seems worth it, just need to now find one! That seems to be the hard part. I may just buy a frame and build it as I’d want to change a few things anyway. Cheers Mate.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hmm. It will be awhile before the new ones are in. If you are willing to travel, you could start calling Surly dealers. Someone probably has one in a shop, somewhere. I’ve done that.

·
Registered
684 Posts
My impression is that the BC is for people who are uncomfortable with, or don't care about TA's. Personally, I wouldn't pay $1200 for a BC when I could have an Ogre for just a little more.
Why in the world would you recommend an Ogre over a BC for a guy who spends most of his time on pavement? Doesn't make any sense to me. I love Ogre's and for the type of riding I do, that would be my choice as well, but not for commuting on pavement and few dirt road rides.

BC comes with 700c wheels, by the way.
Wheels
Front Hub
Novatec, 32h, QR
Rear Hub
Novatec, 32h, QR
Rims
WTB ST i21 TCS
Tires
Surly Extraterrestrial 700x41, 60tpi Tubeless Ready

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Front and rear both quick release. No thanks. Future value for that bike will also be lower on the used market. Ogre is set-up with ET’s, and works well on the road. Heck, my KM single speed 29er is fast on asphalt with Maxxis Ardents. I’m sure it would be a perfect asphalt bike with ET’s.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Front and rear both quick release. No thanks. Future value for that bike will also be lower on the used market. Ogre is set-up with ET's, and works well on the road. Heck, my KM single speed 29er is fast on asphalt with Maxxis Ardents. I'm sure it would be a perfect asphalt bike with ET's.
I don't consider the future value when purchasing a bike. Top priority is that the bike fits my needs and rides well. Choosing a bike because you may get a few more dollars for it years down the road is downright silly.

TA have their place. For a commuter/pavement bike? Give me QR. My cross/road bikes have QR's. Dirt tourer also has QR. Get a quality Campy/Paul QR and you're golden.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.