Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Now I am looking into groupsets, specifically Shimano M6100 or M7100. Why are these generally out of stock at the usual locations? (Specifically the derailleurs)
I see it on ebay, but worry about counterfeits...

Rich

·
Registered
17 Posts
LBS is reporting that there are 2 (Two!) Bridge Club framesets available in the entire country so my chances of getting one is slim. They think they can get an Ogre FS, more than I wanted to spend and not compatible with my rear hub I don't think. :-(

LBS managed to snag a frameset! Woo Hoo!

Rich
Thank God! Really looking forward to pictures of your build. What color did you get?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like that fire engine red.

Did you find all your drive train parts?

Forgot if you mentioned what handlebars are going on this thing?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I managed to get an SLX derailleur, the crankset M8100-1 is coming from China (Someday). I bought a set of Jones H-bars with the extra rise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Build finally finished except the derailleur I got is not compatible with my 10-45t Cassette. I have the rd-m7100 which I thought would work with 10-51t. Actually it works but the B screw adjustment is way off. I have ordered a RD-m8120 which is compatible with the 10-45t.

Shakeout ride today. At some point will have to get up the courage to trim the steerer tube...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You should get the courage to trim the steerer before you make the mistake that causes you to land on it...
There is also an alternative way to think about this:

;-)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Speaking of b-screw adjust. I swapped my 11-51 cassette to my 27.5 wheelset from my oem 700c wheels. I just bought a new 11-46 cassette (closer ratios for road optimization with less aggressive granny gear) for my oem 700c wheels. I plan on leaving the b-adjust alone set for the 51tooth cog on the 27.5 wheelset. Do you think this will shift ok on the smaller diameter cassette when I'm running the 700c wheelset? I have not opened the box yet, so I could return it and get the 11 to 51 to perfectly match. Don't want to be doing derailleur adjustments between wheel changes and your comment makes me realize that it may not work at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Edit: Just want to say that Brad In a Van is right. You can use a 135mm QR hub in a bridge club with a 1x system. Surly's frame spec indicates a max 1x chainring of 34t mtn (presume this is 49mm chainline (135QR rear hub)) or 40t boost (52mm chainline (141AR rear hub)). Surly specs their 700C BC with boost cranks (52 chainline) and rear hub (141QR), but it seems it was not required. I'm not really sure. Just want to help here without providing bad info. If you look at Shimano 1x systems, the 1x cranks are boost (52mm chainline), 55mm chainline, or 56.5mm chainline, thus my comment below about wanting a boost setup, but if you are savvy and want to use a 135QR hub and 1x cranks on a non-boost setup to save money/avoid the 141QR hub lack of availability, It seems entirely possible if you get the right arrangement of parts. I think it boils down to making sure the chainring size at the chainline you select (49mm, 52mm boost) fits the bike (frame spec), that the rear hub puts your cassette at the location for optical chainline (135QRwide hub for 49mm or 141QRwide hub for 52mm), and that your tire width fits a given chainline. Still seems to me a boost crank/rear hub w/ microspline with the M6100 deore 12speed drive drain is a reasonably affordable quality way to go. Sorry if I started putting limitation here that don't exist.

Just built a set of 27.5 wheels for my 700c BC. I may be able to help. Search "understanding chainline for 1x optimal conversions". I think you want a boost crank and boost rear hub for your 1x drivetrain, but maybe not. Presuming you do, read on.

Boost rear hub for thru axel is 148 wide and for quick release (QR) it's 141 because how its measured (QR measured OLD, over lock nut dimension). Surly names their drop outs gnot boost as a joke because they space the drop outs in between non-boost and boost and the steel frame nicely flexes in or out to accommodate either, so it's gnot (not boost, but it is). There are very few affordable QR 141 hubs. I bought a cheap altus rear hub (about 30 bucks) that utilizes shimano's standard HG freehub for the cassette, allowing for an 11 speed 1X system. I did this to be compatible with the 11 speed 1X system that came on my bike because I want to be able to use both wheel sets (700c that came with bike and new 27.5). There is also a shimano rear hub that's about $60 that uses shimano's micro spline freehub that should accommodate a 12-speed 1x drivetrain. If I was in your shoes, I would be gunning for the $60 hub and a 12 speed deore 1X system that uses microspline. The deore M6100 group it's supposed to be a very good value. If you're going to ride 60 miles on really rough road, you may like wider tires and the bridge club can accommodate 2.8 wide tires without fenders, or 2.6 wide tires with fenders. I put wtb tough ranger 2.8wide tires on wtb kom tough 35i wide rims and am pretty happy. 35 wide rims goes either way, while 29 might be optimized for 2.4 and 40-45 may be optimized for 2.8.

If you truly want 2.4 wide tires and a Shimano HG free hub is compatible with the drivetrain you want, search for this number with Google 708752283831.

I bought the wheel set from universal cycles.com. if you go into their custom wheel set builder, you can select the rear hub width of 141. You will see two Shimano hubs, one has the standard HG free hub (altus) and one has the microspline free hub (I can't discern what group it comes from but it may be deore). my not well researched understanding is that the microspline hub is higher quality. It also accommodates the deore m6100 cassette which requires microspline freehub.

Suggest you search for bikepacking.com gear inches and read their articles about gear ratio. My bridge club has a 32 chainring and 11 to 51 on the back, which gives it a really low gear for climbing hills. If you're doing mostly flat stuff, the 11 to 46 will give you more choice in the middle of the gear range. FYI the 11 tooth gear is limited by shimano's standard HG free hub, a dead giveaway that it's a micro-spline cassette is that microspline allows for a 10 tooth gear.

deore m6100 (not m6120) crank, shifter, derailleur, cassette on microspline shimano freehub type rear wheel hub would be my recommendation. Ironically the way I found your post was searching for microshift (another poster recommended) part numbers for my child's bike upgrade. That might be a good option if you're trying to be more affordable and use the standard HG freehub low cost wheel I provided the part number for above. You could also build a custom wheel set with the cheap altus hub and the HG free body at universal cycles.

If you want a high quality rear hub you can buy adapters that will make them fit in a quick release 141 bike, but you're looking at several hundred dollars plus just to buy The hub.

A friend of mine told me to use a 12x142 rear hub with a quick release adapter so it can be a 9x142, he told me that an additional .5 bend each side will not cause anything bad with the performance of my wheels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A friend of mine told me to use a 12x142 rear hub with a quick release adapter so it can be a 9x142, he told me that an additional .5 bend each side will not cause anything bad with the performance of my wheels.
I'm not sure. Can you post a link to the adapters?

·
Registered
629 Posts
1mm isn't going to hurt anything, but I don't think a 9x142 hub exists... Maybe possible to kludge something, but nothing comes to mind.

The 141 hub has to be the worst design decision Surly has ever made.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1mm isn't going to hurt anything, but I don't think a 9x142 hub exists... Maybe possible to kludge something, but nothing comes to mind.

The 141 hub has to be the worst design decision Surly has ever made.
My understanding is adapters used on $250 plus rear hubs work, but I'm not sure about 142 through axels.

Standard chain line is 135mm quick release and 142 (135 + 7 = 142) for through axel. Boost chain line is 141mm quick release and 148 through axel (141 + 7 = 148). So the oem boost crank won't like the non boost 142 rear hub

So the BC can take a 135QR no problem, but the crank chain line needs to match. Boost was created to get the chain ring away from the chain stays and the chain away from wider tires.

Shimano makes two hubs 9x141 QR (quick release) hubs:

1. $35, FH-MT200-B Altus "Boost QR" which works with HG free body cassettes (older including deore M5100 1x drivetrain, which is oem on 700c 2021 BC)

2. $60, FH-MT500-B "Boost QR" which works with microspline free body cassettes

after looking at this for months, i say, select option 1 if you need HG free body compatibility with existing hardware. If you are building completely new, select option 2 and pair with the high value m6100 deore drivetrain.

so what surly did here is give us a 1200 chromo "boost" bike, which i think is pretty cool for people that want to buy 1200 dollar steel 27.5x2.4 bike or 700Cx41mm bike and ride it!

Knowing what i know now, I'd buy an oger or karate monkey, but in fact it was my BC that grew my love. I love my BC.

i bought the narrow spread m5100 cassette (11-42) for my 700c oem wheels (stole the 11-51 for the 27.5 wheels i built option 1 above). I can say i love the 11-42 on the 700c's for pavement.... Really like those extra mid range gears when I'm hunting for best ratio on road.
I really feel like I have two bikes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
just thought I’d post an update on the bridge club. Did a gravel ride from west of Portland over the coastal range to the beach and back (next day)with the bridge club. It did great! 150 miles in 10,000 feet of climbing, I’m still not recovered. ;-)

Rich

21 - 40 of 41 Posts