Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Philosophizer
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up to the locals, some dude went over the falls today.He was lucky he only broke his wrist.

·
Registered
454 Posts
mtnbiker66 said:
Just a heads up to the locals, some dude went over the falls today.He was lucky he only broke his wrist.
Holy Cow. I would say extremely lucky to only break his wrist. Was he crossing underneath the falls or did he go down crossing up top? Or just got too close and slipped?

·
Philosophizer
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cannon Ball said:
Scary!!! I've always wondered if anyone has bit it crossing the river on Cornmill Shoals Rd.
I've always thought a guide wire would be nice at a minimum.
Heres a tip for Cornmill, take your shoes off but not your socks when you walk across.Socks work kinda like wading boots, they stick pretty well.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I walked across on the rocks at the end of cornmill shoals. Still had my shoes on and I slipped on the moss-looking stuff but was able to get right back up, I even got the moss-looking stuff on my calf.

My friend and I rode a little more then stopped. He saw the stuff on my calf and was like, "Why is that stuff moving?". I looked down and it turned out that the moss is actually leeches! :eek: Flew right back to the river to wash it all off.

Pretty funny now but not at the time. ;)

Lou.

·
Boom Yow!
84 Posts
I have crossed the top of Bridal Veils once in my life and that was during a drought period. I would never cross it now knowing how slick those rocks get. Speaking of river crossings have you ever crossed one in the winter time. It hurts sooo bad when you get out the other side. I have to walk around for a few minutes to bring life back to my feet.

·
Philosophizer
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cannon Ball said:
I have crossed the top of Bridal Veils once in my life and that was during a drought period. I would never cross it now knowing how slick those rocks get. Speaking of river crossings have you ever crossed one in the winter time. It hurts sooo bad when you get out the other side. I have to walk around for a few minutes to bring life back to my feet.
Yea,l was riding a log on Caney bottom last January and dropped my front wheel and wound up in the creek.I rode on nubbs the rest of the ride.

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Winter Crossings Suck

Cannon Ball said:
Speaking of river crossings have you ever crossed one in the winter time.
Yeah my friend Jamie and I did Lower Trace>Laurel Mtn> Big Creek the day after new years and the first big river crossing i make it 3/4 across and throw a foot down and walk the rest ankledeep. Jamie wasn't as lucky makes it 1/2 way and the front wheel washesout and Whoosh in a split second is completely submerged...yeah that had to suck! 5minutes into a longass ride and every inch soaked and cold outside. we get up FR1206 before LM and he goes for the waterbottle and at this point is almost dry...Whossh the lid on the waterbottle wasn't on tight and so he was wet again with gaterade...the rest of the ride was at least eight to 10 more watercrossing...kept waiting for some more humor...nada

On the Corn Mill Shoals crossing i've ridden cross once and had two failed attempts back when the water levels where low. Superslick! on the last failed attempt almost had the bike get carried down stream. Freind was able to get the bike...that was water was scootin' too.. while sitting mid stream the current spun me around facing down stream, just kinda wedge mu feet into some rocks to get up and stand. but yeah i had to let go of the bike because the current had it and it was taking me too.

we go under the falls and up/down the powerline. speaking of which Whats up with the Big NO Trespassing signs at the Powerline (back end of Slickrock) ? i haven't seen'em but a friend said they were in several locations back there and to upper BV falls.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.