Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Newbie here. In process of restoring my Breezer Beamer. Originally purchased off of Ebay a couple years ago. I located a softride frame/beam and bought it for the beam. Breezer layed around for a couple years and I've finally made some headway. Here are the before pix.

Attachments

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
Wow, that frame was pretty well used. It is common for these frames to break at the beam mount?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure. The frame had been repaired before I got it. I'm much happier with the repairs the second time around! It was a blast the couple times I rode it prior to tear down, now just anxiously searching for decals so I can move on to the paint process.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Beamer

I am anxious to see your project completed, please post some pics when you get it painted. I have an Otis Guy Beamer and love it. I went for a ride today and one of the steepest hills locally we call "the wall", about 300 yards of steep climbing. Two young guys, one on a modern FS bike, the other on an aluminum HT were ahead of me and started, but failed to make it up the wall. They stared at me as I rode up and over the wall, seated, no problem. They later asked me at the top of the mountain about my bike and how it could climb that. I explained the virtues of this type of suspension for climbing and x-country, and that softrides weren't too great going fast downhill. They kicked my butt on the downhill, but I had my 15 min of fame. Not too bad for and over the hill 41 yo.:thumbsup:

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
That reminds me, I still have an NOS beam kit to do something with.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool story about the climb!! I rode my softride Sully MTB in a 12 hour race this past summer, and at 11:30 p.m. just before the end I passed a guy who was riding a prototype Cannondale full suspension on one of the last climbs. We ended the lap by each other and the only thing he said was "I can't believe that I just got passed by a f'n Softride!". Made my day!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Common, I Don't Know

azjeff said:
Wow, that frame was pretty well used. It is common for these frames to break at the beam mount?
But I have a Ritchey LiteBeam that is crushing the beam mount. If you look at the first picture up in the original thread you can see a sliver of metal inside the mount that is supposed to keep the top tube and the chainstay from crushing the beam mounting tube. The mounting tube on my Ritchey is oval and the sliver of metal is bent into an "L" shape. The frames Softride made had a continuous top tube to the chainstay and the mounting tube was welded on separately.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Common, I don't know

Cool Lite Beam. Sorry to hear about the beam mount:madman: I would imagine that it is something that can be fixed given the right amount of desire & fundage! I always loved the lite beam. Have you seen the one firs flight bikes has? the 2 tone paint is killer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts